In one of the most fashionable hotels Doha, located on the shore of the Persian Gulf, reporters arrived about half past nine in the morning. And soon we saw an 23-year-old Russiana. By the will of fate, abandoned on Sunday, rivals Safina in the group stage will be Dane Caroline Wozniacki, Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, and Serb Jelena Jankovic. The other four were two American women - sisters Serena and Venus Williams, as well as two Russians - Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva.
- How would you analyze the results of the draw?
- In our group, as compared with the other, young tennis players have gathered more, but I in no case would not call it easy. And I must not be worried who is on the opposite side of the court. I will try to play my game and then look what is happening of it.
- A year ago you lost in Doha all three matches. Maybe you do not like the conditions here?
- I had no problems with courts or anything in Doha. Last year I lost all three matches here but that happened because I was to play with Serena and Venus Williams and Dementieva and they all were in very good form that time. That time I could not do anything with them but this time I hope to perform better.
- How do you prepare for the tournament?
- Arrived here as early as last Sunday, in time to acclimatize. And before that one week, trained in Munich. In principle, nothing new is done. Everything was as usual.
- Was the decision hard to miss Kremlin Cup?
- I cannot say that it was hard to miss out on the Kremlin Cup but I it was rather strange to look at the tournamentĺs grid and see so few Russian girls there. I hope that next year the schedule of the tournaments will change a bit and I will be able to play at home in Moscow.
- It is basically for you to compete with Serena Williams for first place in the rankings?
- I do not think about the rivalry with Serena Williams for the first place in WTA rankings. I must be focused on my game now.
- Be the first in the world - a great achievement, but now many criticize the current in the women's ranking system scoring. What do you think you need to take in this regard?
- (With a slight irritation). Suggest critics to make such a rating system that they would like to have.
- A talk on the theme of absence in the collection's title "Grand Slam" you do not offend?
- No, I do not care more. Let them say anything! (Laughs.)
- To what extent do you think the day is near when you will still be able to win at least one such tournament?
- I hope this day is close enough, because I was in the finals three times and twice - in the semifinals. Incidentally, when last year I managed to win almost everything, everyone asked why I was not number one. Now, when I was the number one to ask another question: why did this happen? Let me move forward gradually, step by step. Of course, I very much want to win any of the Grand Slams, but to achieve it I must work hard on my game.
Q. So it went under or through the net?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I think through or underneath, and then somehow -- I have no idea...
Q. It went through the net.
JELENA JANKOVIC: Through the net? Under the net?