Dirrty Season 2010: Cassius Clay Lands Death Blow in Round 2 - Baby E is out! - Page 3 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Isha312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Miami
Posts: 261
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtos7 View Post
Obviously this signals that she isn't as confident in her game as she says she is. But I actually think this is a good thing, assuming this means she will be expanding her schedule with smaller tournaments, especially in April. Fed Cup was never going to do her no good. She can't gain ranking points there, playing under alot of pressure at home, and at the very most would play two matches max. Now she can add a tournament or two (hopefully) where she can gain points, play more matches and build more confidence and continue to fine tune her game. I think this is a very smart move if they do expand the schedule like I said.
When you bring up these points it makes sense. The press release makes it seem like she did it for the team, rather than herself, which I didn't understand because they really have no one else left. Now this is a good decision contingent on the fact that she actually adds smaller tournaments to her schedule. If she just uses this time to "practice" then it's a stupid decision and she's just missing out on the opportunity for more match play.

Official Optimist of Anapolis
6276 Key Biscayne Terrace, Idemoshire

"Determination, patience and courage are the only things needed to improve any situation."
Isha312 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

I actually think she's afraid to play smaller tournaments because she might lose in earlier rounds and that would be really bad for her confidence.
House is offline  
post #33 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,565
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
I actually think she's afraid to play smaller tournaments because she might lose in earlier rounds and that would be really bad for her confidence.
It's not like she is winning matches in bigger tournaments either.. if she doesn't try the small ones, she won't reach the 20 matches mark this season.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #34 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Living in technicolor
Posts: 15,797
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Exactly. If she doesn't start winning at smaller events she will never beat a Top 20 player again.
She said it herself, the way to the top starts at the bottom and that's where she's at right now. Mentally as much as game-wise.

Anyone know how her clay court schedule looks like? Still only Stuttgart(?), Rome and then Madrid?
Marilyn Monheaux is offline  
post #35 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
spiritedenergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,701
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I'm okay with skipping Fed Cup.. she had enough traume and humiliation in february.. but it will only be a good move, as you say, if they do expand her schedule. If not, then she is just playing even less matches, wich is not good.. I guess we will have to wait and see.

And obviously, she has no confidence in herself. None.. she goes into matches believing she can lose, which is one of the biggest factors of her losses... when it gets tight, she just doesn't have the belief or the decision to win. And loses..

What she says to the press is the same she has always said.. I will get her pressers together sometime.. just compare what she says now to what she said a year ago.. It's the very same.
I agree, it's a strange decision, it's like saying that she will lose for sure if she plays. She can't go into matches thinking she will lose, it doesn't make any sense... But I hope she'll add some international tournaments to her schedule in April.

spiritedenergy is offline  
post #36 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
DAVAJ MKirilenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,187
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Losing in smaller tournaments won't harm her confidence I guess.
Something you don't have can't be harmed. Maybe that's a positive thing.

She can still get out of this, but she's not yet on the road back.
All these DF's and broken 5 times in 1 set. Even a 3-0 lead brought her nothing.
I've seen only the last 3 points so it doesn't say all. But it didn't look promising.


1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline  
post #37 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
jelenacg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,704
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

I can`t say i`m surprised she won`t play Fed Cup.It`s a good decision,she doesn`t need another trauma and humiliation in front of home crowed
It`s good that she decided to withdraw now and not later when i would already bought tickets,she saved me money

I don`t think she will add any tournament despite not playing FC.Pulling out FC has nothing to do with her playing anywhere else she is just saving herself from another humiliation or running away from one
Marbella starts in 5 or 6 days so she can`t play there.Barcelona starts 11.o4 and it would be great if she plays there but i know she won`t .And Fes , no way

So that leaves us Stuttgart ,Rome and Madrid.It sucks that she won`t add anything else She should take advantage of the fact that most WTA aren`t good clay court players

Official Ambassador of Anapolis
066364 Melbourne Road,Slumping District
jelenacg is offline  
post #38 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,565
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenacg View Post
I can`t say i`m surprised she won`t play Fed Cup.It`s a good decision,she doesn`t need another trauma and humiliation in front of home crowed
It`s good that she decided to withdraw now and not later when i would already bought tickets,she saved me money

I don`t think she will add any tournament despite not playing FC.Pulling out FC has nothing to do with her playing anywhere else she is just saving herself from another humiliation or running away from one
Marbella starts in 5 or 6 days so she can`t play there.Barcelona starts 11.o4 and it would be great if she plays there but i know she won`t .And Fes , no way

So that leaves us Stuttgart ,Rome and Madrid.It sucks that she won`t add anything else She should take advantage of the fact that most WTA aren`t good clay court players
Yeah Jelena.. I'm not surprised Ana doesn't want to play Fed Cup, considering her form and especially in Belgrade.. I'm sure she went through awful times losing those matches against Russia, and is scared as hell of a repeat in front of her home crowd. But it does show that she has no belief in herself.. and if she plays every match like this, no wonder she loses them.

But yeah.. I was thinking and I guess you might be just right.. Ana most probably just replaced Fed Cup with Stuttgart.. now I understand why she added this tournament.. I was all naive thinking she was finally up to play more matches. Silly me.. She is probably going to play even less...

Actually, getting out of Fed Cup gives her one extra week to WAG..
gaviotabr is offline  
post #39 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,835
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Yeah Jelena.. I'm not surprised Ana doesn't want to play Fed Cup, considering her form and especially in Belgrade.. I'm sure she went through awful times losing those matches against Russia, and is scared as hell of a repeat in front of her home crowd. But it does show that she has no belief in herself.. and if she plays every match like this, no wonder she loses them.

But yeah.. I was thinking and I guess you might be just right.. Ana most probably just replaced Fed Cup with Stuttgart.. now I understand why she added this tournament.. I was all naive thinking she was finally up to play more matches. Silly me.. She is probably going to play even less...

Actually, getting out of Fed Cup gives her one extra week to WAG..
Did she actually say that she was gonna WAG?...it's not like that's gonna help him...he'll probably finish in 2047th place at the Masters...either at or near the bottom.I was sort of hoping that she'd get that Aussie anal tumor removed...but that's a big step for 'alcoholic' Ana to separate from the last of our 'drinking buddies',so maybe she's not ready quite yet

PARTY IN THE PANIC ROOM! Serena wins an undoubtedly clean #22

Congrats on Number Three, Kim! We need more of you in this world

Monica Puig, Guapa Teniista Numero Uno de las chicas latinas

Last edited by bruce goose; Mar 29th, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: zaz
bruce goose is offline  
post #40 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Living in technicolor
Posts: 15,797
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Did she actually say that she was gonna WAG?...it's not like that's gonna help him...he'll probably finish in 2047th place at the Masters...either at or near the bottom.I was sort of hoping that she'd get that Aussie anal tumor removed...but that's a big step for 'alcoholic' Ana to separate from the last of our 'drinking buddies',so maybe she's not ready quite yet
Marilyn Monheaux is offline  
post #41 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,477
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Let's face with truth - forget about all other players positive experience... but playing small events will never works for Ana! She is player which have better results at slams than at tier-I level events, at tier-I better than at tier-II, at tier-II better than at tier-III. Even at same tournaments she has tendency to play worse at smaller courts than at bigger ones! Except Serena Williams no other player with such strange and extreme stats about this. Without seed status Ana will face seeded opponents in early rounds, but on other hand don't forget that she will play 1st round matches against lower rankend players (BYE no more) and even with mediocre display for her standards she will reach enough matches. Another of reasons why players which drop from TOP50 prefer small MM events for comeback is because don't like to play qualies at bigger events (b/c bad ranking) is pointless for Ana, because like one of tours biggest stars she can reach WC's anytime and anywhere.

Problem with her 2009 schedule IMO is not because she not played some extra mickey mouse event, but because after march/09 she played just 6 events overall (out of slams). She even escape both premiere mandatory events (Madrid and Beijing) from that part of season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Fed Cup.. she had enough traume and humiliation in february..
I agree in general that she is scared about possibility to be humiliated twice in her hometown in just two months, and that is main reason why she decide to from this tie. I'm really unhappy with this decision because FED CUP is only chance for Serbs to see theirs biggest stars live in action, and if they lose (now Slovakia is big favorite if Domi+Dani both will play) first next possibility to watch power Serbian FED CUP team i n World Group I will be in 2012 in best case. But what to do I just want to believe that there will be with Ana at end same happy end scenario like with Jelena in 2006 when she decide to skip FED CUP in april and to try to regroup from careers biggest crisis.

and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
post #42 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
*
 
The Daviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,814
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Let's face with truth - forget about all other players positive experience... but playing small events will never works for Ana! She is player which have better results at slams than at tier-I level events, at tier-I better than at tier-II, at tier-II better than at tier-III. Even at same tournaments she has tendency to play worse at smaller courts than at bigger ones! Except Serena Williams no other player with such strange and extreme stats about this. Without seed status Ana will face seeded opponents in early rounds, but on other hand don't forget that she will play 1st round matches against lower rankend players (BYE no more) and even with mediocre display for her standards she will reach enough matches. Another of reasons why players which drop from TOP50 prefer small MM events for comeback is because don't like to play qualies at bigger events (b/c bad ranking) is pointless for Ana, because like one of tours biggest stars she can reach WC's anytime and anywhere.
Ana is not the player she was a few seasons ago, you seem to think she's still an elite player who just happens to be ranked #58, she's not. She's now a mediocre player ranked #58, and she she should do what all players in that range do and that's play MM events. She needs to a) learn how to win matches again and b) play in a less pressurised situation.

I'd love her to play something like Barcelona, of course she won't, but don't worry, after inevitable first/second round losses in Stuttgart/Rome/Madrid, I think she'll finally get the message.

Ivanovic * Kvitova * Serena
The Daviator is offline  
post #43 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,835
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post
Yeah,'VM',it's good for us to look for humor in that situation....You know how some children get sentimentally attached to a certain toy and refuse to throw it away---even though that toy is in poor condition and lacks any obvious value?....Well,Ana's 'toy' is a coke-sniffing,fourth-rate golfer/surfer

PARTY IN THE PANIC ROOM! Serena wins an undoubtedly clean #22

Congrats on Number Three, Kim! We need more of you in this world

Monica Puig, Guapa Teniista Numero Uno de las chicas latinas

Last edited by bruce goose; Mar 30th, 2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: zaz
bruce goose is offline  
post #44 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 662
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
I actually think she's afraid to play smaller tournaments because she might lose in earlier rounds and that would be really bad for her confidence.
I've been wondering if this is factoring in her decision to avoid MMs as much as her minor injuries. She seems to feel more motivated when facing top players. If she's not motivated, in the form she's in, she might end up losing in straights to someone ranked #80-90 in the 2R of a MM and collapse.

But staying on playing only the few tournaments she's playing and losing like she's losing, she's on the path to collapse anyway, just more slowly. So stuff like Fes, Barcelona and Marbella are worth a shot.

All the players you hate.
Loungy is offline  
post #45 of 2776 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Trainwreck
 
Lord Choc Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 53,973
                     
Re: Clay is a sucky server's best friend: Time to make it happen!

Found this nice photo. Ana with Coach. It's photos like this that make you think "OK, they seem to get along well".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23660_374775950735_154674095735_4028344_3210247_n.jpg (49.3 KB, 16 views)
Lord Choc Ice is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome