~Ana's articles~ - Page 247 - TennisForum.com
 32Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3691 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
and when was the last time we could have said that about her? i know she is not yet there and i know she doesn't have results to back it up either but we all know she can do it now. that definitely is an improvement and not a small one.
Its a slight improvement.. Won't take her any further then she is now.. which is just a bit better than the biggest part of the past 4 years.. for her to take the next step, one to make a difference, one to actually be considered a big step, then she needs to go deep into tournaments without the aid of easier draws. Which leads to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
winning titles is important and nice but i know she can win small tournaments. what she needs to show to everyone, including herself, is that she can regularly beat top players.
Funny.. while I do think Ana can beat most of the players she should beat, for the first time I feel like she has no shot against any top player. Not mentally.. not game wise.

The thing with winning titles, even if its MMs, is that it gives a winning feeling you just cant replace.. going too long without a title is detrimental to anyones game. That extra belief, apart from the match play, makes a difference.

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3692 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,193
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Izzy, that slight improvement is the difference between #65 and #12. If she continued playing the way she did in the first half of 2012, she would be playing qualifications for some tournaments now. You think it's a slight improvement only because she reached 2 quarterfinals in the first part of 2011. But, the SF of IW, quarterfinal of Dubai and R4 of AO, R3 of Rome, Madrid, RG and Miami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >> QF of IW, QF of Pattaya, R3 of Miami, R2 of Rome, R1 of AO, RG, Madrid etc.

W/l: 19/11 >>>>>>>>>>>>8/8

beating CW, Bartoli, Petrova, Fran, Kuynetsova, Kirilenko, Hantuchova, Peer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> beating JJ, Petrova, Kimiko, Craybas and Nudnida Luangnam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #3693 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Izzy, that slight improvement is the difference between #65 and #12. If she continued playing the way she did in the first half of 2012, she would be playing qualifications for some tournaments now. You think it's a slight improvement only because she reached 2 quarterfinals in the first part of 2011. But, the SF of IW, quarterfinal of Dubai and R4 of AO, R3 of Rome, Madrid, RG and Miami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >> QF of IW, QF of Pattaya, R3 of Miami, R2 of Rome, R1 of AO, RG, Madrid etc.

W/l: 19/11 >>>>>>>>>>>>8/8
No.. I'm looking at years as a whole.. and you are looking into first parts here second parts there. And as years as a whole, Ana is just a few spots higher, just slighly better now than in 2011 or 2010 or 2009. For an example.. Ana was seeded 16th for USO 2011 and 12th for USO 2012. Slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
beating CW, Bartoli, Petrova, Fran, Kuynetsova, Kirilenko, Hantuchova, Peer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> beating JJ, Petrova, Kimiko, Craybas and Nudnida Luangnam.
Not that much better at all, considering what happened to these players in each season..

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
 
post #3694 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,193
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Woz reached the SF of Miami next week, Kuzi beat Ana in FC a week before Rome, Petrova is always dangerous, Hantuchova got injured later, Kirilenko and Bartoli are just fine.

And Ana was #20 and had 2415 points after USO last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #3695 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Woz reached the SF of Miami next week, Kuzi beat Ana in FC a week before Rome, Petrova is always dangerous, Hantuchova got injured later, Kirilenko and Bartoli are just fine.
Woz is in a slumping year lets be honest here. Kuznetsova has not played since clay season.. injured knee that could require surgery. Petrova and Kirilenko couldn't link 2 wins together when Ana beat them.. both improved later on with changes of coaches. Bartoli was sick.. she even told Ana not to hold her hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
And Ana was #20 and had 2415 points after USO last year.
Slightly better now...

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #3696 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
azdaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Itävalta
Posts: 17,983
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
And Ana was #20 and had 2415 points after USO last year.
yes and that without a north american hc season apart from the us open to begin with. her scheduling really doesn't help.
azdaja is offline  
post #3697 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,193
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Woz is in a slumping year lets be honest here.
One of the reasons for that slump is her loss to Ana. She lost 860 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Kuznetsova has not played since clay season.. injured knee that could require surgery.
I'm talking about clay season, obviously. She played RG after Rome, she beat Radwanska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Petrova and Kirilenko couldn't link 2 wins together when Ana beat them..
Kirilenko played the final of Pattaya like... 2 weeks before that match. And next week she almost beat Sharapova in IW, it was a QF. And Petrova couldn't win 2 matches in a row last year, but Ana managed to lose to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Bartoli was sick.. she even told Ana not to hold her hand.
Of course she was. She also couldn't breathe in IW 2011. If you pay more attention, you'll realize that she's always either injured or sick. In Miami she ended Vika's winning streak and in the very next match (against Aga) she was sick. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Slightly better now...
Are you sure? I'm sure that you can make it look like it's even slightly worse than it was in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #3698 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
One of the reasons for that slump is her loss to Ana. She lost 860 points.
Not really.. the slump is all about level of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
I'm talking about clay season, obviously. She played RG after Rome, she beat Radwanska.
And then lost pathetically to Errani.. with a bagel set included.

Now seriously, Kuznetsova got injured in Fes, and even if she beat Radwanska at RG, she wasn't really right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Kirilenko played the final of Pattaya like... 2 weeks before that match. And next week she almost beat Sharapova in IW, it was a QF. And Petrova couldn't win 2 matches in a row last year, but Ana managed to lose to her.
Ok.. I give you that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Of course she was. She also couldn't breathe in IW 2011. If you pay more attention, you'll realize that she's always either injured or sick. In Miami she ended Vika's winning streak and in the very next match (against Aga) she was sick. Wow!
But IW this year had this desease going around.. players dropping like flies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
Are you sure? I'm sure that you can make it look like it's even slightly worse than it was in 2011.
No.. its slightly better. I just don't see how it can be MUCH better.. its like its still on one level. 2011 in the bottom of top 20 and 2012 around the top of top 20. Same bracket, just slightly better.. If Ana ever makes a big step up, if she ever does MUCH better, I'll be VERY happy to write it all over the forum.

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #3699 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,193
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

According to some posters, she was never anything but a top 20 player. She had a cake draw in 2008 when she won RG, she made the AO final because Dani choked, she reached Wimbledon SF because Vaidisova choked, another RG final because Sharapova was injured and a RG quarterfinal because Mauresmo felt too much pressure. And, yes, JJ and Kuznetsova are her bitches, that's why she won Berlin, IW etc.

If you add her USO draw to that, you can make her whole career look like a joke.

It's really the same type of excuses. Caro is slumping, Kuznetsova was injured, Marion was dying. You make her best results this season look like a joke, just like some GM posters make her whole career look like a joke. She's not playing her best tennis ever, but whatever she's been doing this year worked for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #3700 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Linguae^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,114
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Izzy, don't misunderstand me, but you're so overreacting and your attitude is so negative.
It can go so much better from here, be hopeful.
Linguae^ is offline  
post #3701 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
azdaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Itävalta
Posts: 17,983
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
No.. its slightly better. I just don't see how it can be MUCH better.. its like its still on one level. 2011 in the bottom of top 20 and 2012 around the top of top 20. Same bracket, just slightly better.. If Ana ever makes a big step up, if she ever does MUCH better, I'll be VERY happy to write it all over the forum.
and who says that "players ranked 11 through 20" is a valid bracket? or that tennis seasons are the only valid periods for comparison? ana started to improve when she hired nigel, so the whole process started last year when ana was a barely top 20 player while right now she is just outside of top 10. that's not the same bracket at all as far as i'm concerned. she needs some good results in order to get into top 8 but once she manages to do it she is bound to stay there for a long time, even you agree with that. that's simply considerably better than what ana had over past 4 years, not only a little. she missed a great opportunity at rg, that's sure, or she might have already been there. but to my mind she is a player who is now challenging for top 8, not a player hanging around the #20 spot.
azdaja is offline  
post #3702 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguae^ View Post
Izzy, don't misunderstand me, but you're so overreacting and your attitude is so negative.
It can go so much better from here, be hopeful.
Thanks for the compliment! Why am I overreacting though? We are just having a healthy debate in which not all parts agree.. I do think it can go so much better, that's why I don't think now is MUCH better than before.. just slightly.

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #3703 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
According to some posters, she was never anything but a top 20 player. She had a cake draw in 2008 when she won RG, she made the AO final because Dani choked, she reached Wimbledon SF because Vaidisova choked, another RG final because Sharapova was injured and a RG quarterfinal because Mauresmo felt too much pressure. And, yes, JJ and Kuznetsova are her bitches, that's why she won Berlin, IW etc.

If you add her USO draw to that, you can make her whole career look like a joke.

It's really the same type of excuses. Caro is slumping, Kuznetsova was injured, Marion was dying. You make her best results this season look like a joke, just like some GM posters make her whole career look like a joke. She's not playing her best tennis ever, but whatever she's been doing this year worked for her.
Thanks! Now I'm an Ana GM hater!

You know very well I disagree with all those arguments.. Ana was once a great player.. pity she hasn't been able to follow on her promise.

And I'm not making anything look like a joke. I just have my feet glued to the ground and in my honest opinion, this year was slightly better, but not much better than the past 3. And I think that exactly because I know Ana can be MUCH better.. and this is not it.

Edit: For the record, IMHO Ana should beat Caro, Sveta and Marion, from those you mention in this post, every single time. They are not relevant wins.. and she had wins over them in 09, 10, 11.. when Ana beats Kvitova, or Sharapova, or Vika, or even Kerber.. then we can talk about anything related to MUCH better. Ana is perfectly capable of it if she ever goes back to playing actually well.

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.

Last edited by gaviotabr; Sep 12th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #3704 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,609
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
and who says that "players ranked 11 through 20" is a valid bracket? or that tennis seasons are the only valid periods for comparison? ana started to improve when she hired nigel, so the whole process started last year when ana was a barely top 20 player while right now she is just outside of top 10. that's not the same bracket at all as far as i'm concerned. she needs some good results in order to get into top 8 but once she manages to do it she is bound to stay there for a long time, even you agree with that. that's simply considerably better than what ana had over past 4 years, not only a little. she missed a great opportunity at rg, that's sure, or she might have already been there. but to my mind she is a player who is now challenging for top 8, not a player hanging around the #20 spot.
We can just agree to disagree.. Ana's improvement under Nigel has come in homeopatic doses and snail pace.. its slightly better, not much better. It would be much better if she was top 8, but she isn't.. she is barely top 12. 11-20 is top 20, and that's what Ana has been for most part of the past 4 years.. now slightly better as she is on the top part of top 20. 3 good tournaments out of 15 played, without a single final to her name, cant be MUCH better than anything. There is a lot of things Ana is still doing obviously wrong, and that hold her back.. no fitness, no physio.. bad schedule.. so on.. once she actually takes that next step, enters top 8, if she ever gets her head out of her ass to make the necessary adjustments, then it will come to MUCH better. For now its just slightly..

Mental Strength is an underrated ability, it sets champions apart

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #3705 of 4680 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
azdaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Itävalta
Posts: 17,983
                     
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
We can just agree to disagree.. Ana's improvement under Nigel has come in homeopatic doses and snail pace.. its slightly better, not much better. It would be much better if she was top 8, but she isn't.. she is barely top 12. 11-20 is top 20, and that's what Ana has been for most part of the past 4 years.. now slightly better as she is on the top part of top 20. 3 good tournaments out of 15 played, without a single final to her name, cant be MUCH better than anything. There is a lot of things Ana is still doing obviously wrong, and that hold her back.. no fitness, no physio.. bad schedule.. so on.. once she actually takes that next step, enters top 8, if she ever gets her head out of her ass to make the necessary adjustments, then it will come to MUCH better. For now its just slightly..
you want her to actually have results but that's only one side of the coin. i look at a combination of both her results and her ability and the improvement was not slight. once she gets the results to speak for her it won't matter what we think. to my mind ana entering the top 8 won't be any improvement whatsoever on her current form actually. that's why i say that i'm looking only on how she does against big players. most importantly i think ana is on the upward trajectory no matter how slowly.

but even so, again "players ranked #11 through 20" is not a valid bracket imo. the really relevant places are the ones which determine your seeding, not the ones that result in the multiple of the number of fingers we have on both hands. being barely #12 is considerably better than being somewhere between #17 and 32. finishing the year close to #10 is considerably better than finishing it close to being #20 which was ana's standard in recent years.

it doesn't mean i don't think things could be even better but that's a matter of patience and thinking whether the glass is half full or half empty.

Last edited by azdaja; Sep 12th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
azdaja is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome