Tennis Forum banner

How good are players ranked 500+

944 views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  thelittlestelf 
#1 ·
How do they play? Do they hit the ball any harder than a Club level player would?

#8 ·
Hm... I don't really post here... but my best friend is a really good tennis player and he's not ranked. He said he once played a guy who was 500+ and he said the guy was REALLY good and had a really fast and hard forehand. I don't know if in the WTA tour it maked that much difference.... but I think in the ATP it does. People that play tennis professionally are in a different level.

#9 ·
depends on

a) age of the player
b) how many events they got on their rank
c) they'll beat most club players (unless you're talking about bagel girls)

#10 ·
Most of the girls at that level are exceptional tennis players (compared to club players), but don't have enough consistency or mental fortitude when they are put under pressure by a better player.

They could play a brilliant set, near-flawless tennis, but when it came to closing out a match, or when a player begins to expose a weakness, they aren't able to respond like a top 200 player would. They begin to doubt their own strengths, start hitting passively or begin to overhit and thrash things against the back fence. If you look at Rebecca Fong, ranked 700ish, she hits pretty hard (not very, but quite) and has some variety, but she isn't able to do it over the course of a few games, never mind a three set match - her poor patches are too frequent to get any higher at the moment.

#11 ·
obatafan said:
Most of the girls at that level are exceptional tennis players (compared to club players), but don't have enough consistency or mental fortitude when they are put under pressure by a better player.

They could play a brilliant set, near-flawless tennis, but when it came to closing out a match, or when a player begins to expose a weakness, they aren't able to respond like a top 200 player would. They begin to doubt their own strengths, start hitting passively or begin to overhit and thrash things against the back fence. If you look at Rebecca Fong, ranked 700ish, she hits pretty hard (not very, but quite) and has some variety, but she isn't able to do it over the course of a few games, never mind a three set match - her poor patches are too frequent to get any higher at the moment.
:eek: That description sounds like me. I choke hardcore whenever I'm up :tape:

#12 ·
obatafan said:

This could be said for the men, too. I mean, take you for example. You have no power, whatsoever. Your backhand is a piece of shit, and forehand not much better. You could easily get into the top 1000 with your ultra feminine grunt. Your opponents would simply fall to the ground after each point, and you would win love and love, every time. But the players ranked 500-, who just have more brain cells, would learn to bring ear plugs along to their matches with you.

#13 ·
This summer I had a oppunity to see top 200 players and some unranked players together,and played each other.

The top 200 players hitting much harder than lower ranked players and they have consistency too...

Some lower ranked players just know moonballing,even their balls barely reach the service line and still they cant finish the point off and they are playing for 3 hours :eek: :tape:

I am afraid some players were really bad,and they were mid-age in terms of tennis.

But some lower ranking girls coming strong,but they havent got another choice of hitting hard,If miss,hit even harder tactic :eek:

#14 ·
!<bloc_party>! said:
This could be said for the men, too. I mean, take you for example. You have no power, whatsoever. Your backhand is a piece of shit, and forehand not much better. You could easily get into the top 1000 with your ultra feminine grunt. Your opponents would simply fall to the ground after each point, and you would win love and love, every time. But the players ranked 500-, who just have more brain cells, would learn to bring ear plugs along to their matches with you.
HUH!?

#15 ·
Yeah, it depends. For example some playes are pretty good but are in college and can only play during the summer thus they have lowere ranks. Some people are ranked high because they can get into tournaments and get points. Overall though players ranked 500-1000 lack a weapon or are solid players and have no weapons powere is a factor in a lot of their games as well.

#17 ·
I remember watching a first round match at this year's Wimbledon which really showed the gulf between a player in the Top 10 and one ranked 400+ in the world.

It was Rebecca Llewellyn vs Svetlana Kuznetsova. It was clear from the match that Llewellyn is used to playing at a completely different pace. She looked rushed and unable to react to Kuznetsova's shots quickly enough. The only way she could win points was by being super-agressive and going for everything. It won her a couple of games but the match was over very quickly!

Really its about hitting with consistant pace and depth as well as having good reactions and movement. Players 500 + lack the ability to do it as well as the top 100 - simple as that.

#18 ·
anniflava said:
He's talking about my game specifically, as I move so poorly and grunt so squeakily that I probably shoved a comb up my arse beforehand. I just shit out CRAP onto the court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.