Article About Location Change
WTA tour event shifts from Hyderabad to BangaloreBANGALORE, NOV 28 (PTI)
India's first WTA tour event has moved out of Hyderabad and it will be hosted by the city from February 13 to 19.
The announcement was made by Karnataka Chief Minister N Dharam Singh, doubles specialist Mahesh Bhupathi and Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association Secretary C S Sunder Raju at a joint press conference here.
Bhupathi said the intention behind shifting the USD 175,000 (Tier III) WTA event, now christened 'Bangalore Open', was to scale up interest in other cities as well.
"In Hyderabad, the success of Sania Mirza was immense last year. The whole country watched. The aim is to move the event to a different geography and different level," Bhupathi said.
He said the focus now was to hold it here successfully. "We want to keep it here for a while".
Raju said the event was brought to the city, using the good offices of Bhupathi.
The Chief Minister extended the State Government's support to the "Bangalore Open".
Sania had won the event at Hyderabad last year; "Sania mania" gripped the country during those days.
Bangalore is hosting this kind of event for the first time. The event, to be held at the KSLTA Singature-Kingfisher stadium, may attract a few top names, according to KSLTA officials. Indian players Sania and US-born Shikha Uberoi, along with her American sister Neha, and Sunita Rao are sure to take part. The city has witnessed international tournaments like The Legends Cup and the World Doubles Championship.