Tennis Forum banner

Katarina Srebotnik Interview translation

610 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Ellery 
#1 ·
No scandals, just a bit of talk about her win, fed cup, doubles, injuries and future schedule.

http://sportal.siol.net/default.asp?article_id=10361040508172121540

With good form to Portorož

Congratulations for a double win at the tournament in the Swedish capitol!

Thank you all. A win in
Stockholm means a lot to me. After the final on Sunday I needed a couple of days to collect my feelings. After using the match point in the final I was so happy I just laid myself on the ground. I needed a couple of seconds to collect myself.

You received the winning trophy from a Swedish tennis legend Björn Borg. What were your feeling when he congratulated you?

It was a beautiful experience. Presence of an unforgetable tennis star was an additional award for me. Borg really is a legend. It meant a lot to me that he watched the whole final match. Other than that, I met him first here in
Stockholm.

Was he perhaps your idol in younger years?

Not really, because I never saw him live. In my times I most admired Monika Seleš, who was a big role model for me.

Which win was sweeter? Against Kim Clijsters, whom you beat three years ago in Los Angeles or Sunday's against Anastasia Myskinai?

Certainly against Myskina, because it was a final match. Kim was higher ranked – sixth – but Myskina won the French Open last year and she was a second player in the world for a while. I don't know how the journalists dug out the fact that it was our sixth match. I couldn't believe it. I remember all the 3 matches on the tour, but the three from juniors (Katarina won all of them – journalist) I really don't. I remember some of the matches from my career to the smallest detail but some I completely forgot – well there were many of them already.

Did you exchange any words with Anastasia Myskina after the match?

No, there wasn't any time. After the singles mach I had only 30 minutes to prepare for the doubles final. I only managed to ready many congratulations on my cell phone – it almost burned out. I did that then sensibly turned it off and cooled my mind for a while. I wanted to win the second »double« of the season very much. So I concentrated on the second final, because I'm a professional and I'm aware that anything else wouldn't be fair to my partner. I quickly discussed some tactics with Frenchwoman Emily Loit. We played together only twice before and despite of it won tournaments in
Budapest and Stockholm.

Will you continue with the Frenchwoman or will you in the future cooperate with Shinobu Asagoe with whom you excellently started the year 2005?

I will stick to the deal that I made at the start with Shinobu and won't cheat, so I will continue with the Japanese woman. Regrettably she was injured two months ago, and that shows in a worse play in the summer months, but I will stick to the deal anyway. But I don't want to give up all the chances with Emilie. Even after our first match in
Budapest I could see we work well together. I will definitely play with her again, even though we have different schedules.

With a second win this year you played yourself into a nice position for the upcoming Us Open …

Yes, I made myself a super base. I have a good placement and I'm not defending many points so I can play aggressively and with self esteem on the next tournaments. If everything goes well then I can get my wish from before the start of the season – to reach my highest placing so far (in the top 30).

Injuries are plaguing Slovenia top tennis – both Maja Matevžič and Tina Pisnik are fighting them.

When you are healthy you can't appreciate what you have. Injuries are really the dark side of tennis. If we look at Tina and Maja, they wish to play as they did before, but they can't. It's a shame they are injured. I wish them all the best and that they could finally return to the tour. I remember how we used to help one another when we played in juniors. Healthy competition is always welcome. I had shoulder problems this year, that came from playing and training too much. In four weeks I had only one day of rest, but luckily that's behind me. I was injured for two months last year and couldn't get into the rythm. I was lacking confidence.

Before the Fed Cup dark clouds came over the Slovenian team – the »Pisnik Affair« was dragged all over Slovenian media. Is the atmosphere in the team now better?

Many bad things for tennis happened then. It happened. There was enough said about it. Tennis should remain »white sport« (as in not dark, corrupted – me). It's not OK to be remembered by such scandals. It's forgotten, there were no hard feelings left from my side. We all make mistakes. Next April we travel to
Turkey again and we will try to fight for a place in the world group. China was too strong, considered absolute favourite even before. Chinese players overflowed the tennis world. Their main goal are Olympics in Beijing. I could see with my own eyes how many talents they have there (in China).

What are tha plans for the future?

I arrived in
New Haven on Tuesday, two hours from New York. I need at least two days to adjust. I'm playing the qualifications for a big tournament that should serve me as a preparation for the US Open. And of course the tournament in Portorož that follows. This are my immediate two goals. I really wish to hold the good form for return to Slovenia. I want to reach at least a quarter final. I love to come home (Velenje – me) to be spoiled by my parents and grand-mother, but I live in Maribor for the better tennis conditions.

See less See more
#6 ·
I really like Katarina after stockholm, me and my friend got pictures with her. I think we were her biggest fans in stockholm, we saw all her matches and always supported her alot. She said to us that we had to come and watch her next match and of course we did. She is really nice and a great player.

#8 ·
kabuki said:
Pisnik Affair? :confused:
Not anything as naughty as the expression might suggest, but that was the most direct translation. "Pisnik-gate" ;) summary:

Tina Pisnik cancelled her participation in the fed cup matches in China (right before the team flew for China, so they had to send replacements after them), saying she's to injured to play. But then she played (and lost the first match) in an Italian challenger instead. Mima Jaušovec (team capitain), Katarina and Slovenian tennis said some harsh words about her loyalty and (Slovenian) media lynch followed (main sports newspaper printed "Tina the Traitor" on the front page etc. ...).

Tina then claimed she coludn't play China because she wouldn't have proper care for her injury and it was on hard courts. They agreed to disagree and it all calmed down (but Tina didn't get a Wild Card for Portorož tournament in September - but it's not clear if she even wanted it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.