kirilenko with an o? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,663
                     
kirilenko with an o?

does anyone know why is she kirilenko with an o when i thought all the russian girls add an a to the lastname?
doujyr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24
                     
Because her surname is Ukrainian. -enko is the most typical Ukrainian surname ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doujyr
does anyone know why is she kirilenko with an o when i thought all the russian girls add an a to the lastname?
cyclone7 is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Junior Member
 
navyseals98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 55
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone7
Because her surname is Ukrainian. -enko is the most typical Ukrainian surname ending.
You wouldn't happen to know if Maria is related to Andrei Pavlovich Kirilenko the Soviet Politburo Member during the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s, would you?

I have been a Makiri Fan since Tokyo (Japan Open) 2002.
Maria Kirilenko:Russia's most beautiful player!


Maria Kirilenko
navyseals98 is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 31
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyseals98
You wouldn't happen to know if Maria is related to Andrei Pavlovich Kirilenko the Soviet Politburo Member during the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s, would you?
Of course shes not. LOL
Game Time is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,663
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone7
Because her surname is Ukrainian. -enko is the most typical Ukrainian surname ending.
thanks
doujyr is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
KirilenkoRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doujyr
thanks
Doujyr - this same question came up on another tennis board earlier and to amplify what Cyclone7 said the best response from that thread was:

"Regarding Davidenko, yeah, it's Ukrainian in origin, but the -a female endings to such surnames are no longer in use, even in Ukraine. So Davidenko's female relatives' surname is also Davidenko (see: Maria Kirilenko, Alyona Bondarenko)."

There was some chatter about a year ago that Maria should change her citizenship to Ukrainian so she could play on the Fed Cup for them. But, Maria was born in Yubleigny (pardon the spelling), Moscow Oblast and is Russian Federation to the core. Somewhere in her family tree one of her ancestors moved east. During the USSR era this would have been movement within the country. Today, however, the Russian Federation is a distinct country. Interesting to note that Maria Sharapova was born in Belarus which was part of the USSR at the time but is now a soverign country.

As I think Maria would be pleased that fans from around the world want to learn more about her, here is a site on the Ukraine if you have an interest

http://www.ukraine.org/

For Sharapova fans, here is a good overview of Belarus (which my Grandparents always called "White Russia")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

If any of Maria's Russian fans have clarifications or additions to the above, I for one would find it valuable to have your insights.

Last edited by KirilenkoRulz; Apr 24th, 2006 at 07:07 PM.
KirilenkoRulz is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Junior Member
 
navyseals98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 55
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Time
Of course shes not. LOL
Joel, what the hell is that so supposed to mean? You dont even know who Andrei Kirilenko is? She could be very well related to him, she could be his great granddaughter or granddaughter? That would explain the huge house she is in front of on her official website.

I have been a Makiri Fan since Tokyo (Japan Open) 2002.
Maria Kirilenko:Russia's most beautiful player!


Maria Kirilenko
navyseals98 is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Junior Member
 
navyseals98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 55
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirilenkoRulz
Doujyr - this same question came up on another tennis board earlier and to amplify what Cyclone7 said the best response from that thread was:

"Regarding Davidenko, yeah, it's Ukrainian in origin, but the -a female endings to such surnames are no longer in use, even in Ukraine. So Davidenko's female relatives' surname is also Davidenko (see: Maria Kirilenko, Alyona Bondarenko)."

There was some chatter about a year ago that Maria should change her citizenship to Ukrainian so she could play on the Fed Cup for them. But, Maria was born in Yubleigny (pardon the spelling), Moscow Oblast and is Russian Federation to the core. Somewhere in her family tree one of her ancestors moved east. During the USSR era this would have been movement within the country. Today, however, the Russian Federation is a distinct country. Interesting to note that Maria Sharapova was born in Belarus which was part of the USSR at the time but is now a soverign country.

As I think Maria would be pleased that fans from around the world want to learn more about her, here is a site on the Ukraine if you have an interest

http://www.ukraine.org/

For Sharapova fans, here is a good overview of Belarus (which my Grandparents always called "White Russia")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

If any of Maria's Russian fans have clarifications or additions to the above, I for one would find it valuable to have your insights.
Hey Walt,
I found this interesting. I read an article saying that Alexander Lukashenko, Belarus's President has been talking to Vladimir Putin and is trying I think to reunite Belarus with Russia again. I could be wrong though, what do you think?

I have been a Makiri Fan since Tokyo (Japan Open) 2002.
Maria Kirilenko:Russia's most beautiful player!


Maria Kirilenko
navyseals98 is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
ˇDavai!
 
Danči Dementia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: en la chingada
Posts: 14,081
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirilenkoRulz
Doujyr - this same question came up on another tennis board earlier and to amplify what Cyclone7 said the best response from that thread was:

"Regarding Davidenko, yeah, it's Ukrainian in origin, but the -a female endings to such surnames are no longer in use, even in Ukraine. So Davidenko's female relatives' surname is also Davidenko (see: Maria Kirilenko, Alyona Bondarenko)."

There was some chatter about a year ago that Maria should change her citizenship to Ukrainian so she could play on the Fed Cup for them. But, Maria was born in Yubleigny (pardon the spelling), Moscow Oblast and is Russian Federation to the core. Somewhere in her family tree one of her ancestors moved east. During the USSR era this would have been movement within the country. Today, however, the Russian Federation is a distinct country. Interesting to note that Maria Sharapova was born in Belarus which was part of the USSR at the time but is now a soverign country.
As I think Maria would be pleased that fans from around the world want to learn more about her, here is a site on the Ukraine if you have an interest

http://www.ukraine.org/

For Sharapova fans, here is a good overview of Belarus (which my Grandparents always called "White Russia")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

If any of Maria's Russian fans have clarifications or additions to the above, I for one would find it valuable to have your insights.
Hi everyone I'm new in this forum I want to join you Maria K fans 'cos I like her style very much and she seems to be a nice girl I just want to clrear something:
Maria Sharapova didnt' born in Belarus she was born in nyagan (Siberia)in russia not in belarus but her parents are from belarus to be exactly Gomel I already learn sharapova history of so much thjat someone say it on TV.

Sorry for my english if you sometime don't understand what I'm saying its OK 'cos I don't understand myself either

I love the Makiri nickname I love it its funny and cute
well

♥♥♥
Dementieva -Hantuchova - Hingis - Ivanovic - Vaidisova*
Que el aire es de cristal, que puede estallar.....que aunque mis labios no hablen te quiero devorar.

Danči Dementia is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
houseoflords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 731
                     
I do know that Maria is not related to Andrei Kirilenko the basketball player for the Utah Jazz. As for Andrei Pavlovich Kirilenko the Soviet Politburo Member, I have no idea.

Dominika
Maria Kirilenko

Official Timpani Player in Kirilenko's Orchestra
Caroline Kalinskaya Bouchard Coetzer Mihalikova

Gavrilova, Krunic, Golovin, Cirstea, Avants, Dulko, Giorgi, Safarova, Halep, Cornet, Szavay, Miseviciute, A. Baker, Ivanovic, Larsson, Cornish, Dokic, Schoofs, Hlavackova
houseoflords is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
KirilenkoRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani dementieva
Maria Sharapova didnt' born in Belarus she was born in nyagan (Siberia)in russia not in belarus but her parents are from belarus to be exactly Gomel
Welcome to the forum! I stand corrected, for the record, from Sharapova's bio: "Maria Sharapova was born on April 19, 1987 in Nyagan, a town in western Siberia, where her parents, Yuri and Yelena, had fled from Belarus a year earlier to avoid radiation from Chernobyl. Still too close to the disaster site, her family left their home as refugees again when she was two-years-old. In 1989, the Sharapovs (Maria uses the feminine Sharapova) settled for a while in the Black Sea town of Sochi, known then as a resort village and home of Russian tennis light, Yevgeny Kafelnikov. Yuri had been an engineer in Nyagan. But as the family bounced from on home to the next, he did anything he could just to keep them together."
KirilenkoRulz is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyseals98
Hey Walt,
I found this interesting. I read an article saying that Alexander Lukashenko, Belarus's President has been talking to Vladimir Putin and is trying I think to reunite Belarus with Russia again. I could be wrong though, what do you think?
The Union of Belarus and Russia as a formation exists in reality already for 6 years. It even has State secretary of the Union - Pavel Borodin. The most useful feature of this union for ordinary people is that when you go from one country to another, there is no passport control or customs.
You can read about the Union here
And this is recent article written by State secretary of the Union (in Russian).
cyclone7 is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
KirilenkoRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone7
The Union of Belarus and Russia as a formation exists in reality already for 6 years.
Thanks cyclone7!
KirilenkoRulz is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Junior Member
 
navyseals98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 55
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone7
The Union of Belarus and Russia as a formation exists in reality already for 6 years. It even has State secretary of the Union - Pavel Borodin. The most useful feature of this union for ordinary people is that when you go from one country to another, there is no passport control or customs.
You can read about the Union here
And this is recent article written by State secretary of the Union (in Russian).

So it is already in effect, I didn't know that. Are they planning on combining the two nations into one nation, where Russia will probably lead. By the way what city do you live in, in Russia.

I have been a Makiri Fan since Tokyo (Japan Open) 2002.
Maria Kirilenko:Russia's most beautiful player!


Maria Kirilenko
navyseals98 is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyseals98
So it is already in effect, I didn't know that. Are they planning on combining the two nations into one nation, where Russia will probably lead. By the way what city do you live in, in Russia.
Yes, but in very far perspective. Right now it's rather about favourable trade agreements etc. For example, Belarus buys Russian gas at much cheaper price than Ukraine.
I think Belarus wouldn't agree to Russia's leading role. It seems that Lukashenko still hopes to become the first President of the Union. At least he hinted that several times.
I live in Moscow.
cyclone7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome