Chris Evert Thread - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #781 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
That was a great article, thanks for posting. It's interesting to see behind the public image, to the private person underneath.
Of course there are so many dimensions to the Evert character and I feel she is quite a complex person. Much like Navratilova in that regard I would say.
iainmac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Of course there are so many dimensions to the Evert character and I feel she is quite a complex person. Much like Navratilova in that regard I would say.
I think there are many dimensions to everyone's character, not just famous people. On the whole I think Chrissie has coped remarkably well, with the whole fame thing. I think she was very lucky to have such grounded parents, and a family that has always supported her.
chrissiefan is offline  
post #783 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I think there are many dimensions to everyone's character, not just famous people. On the whole I think Chrissie has coped remarkably well, with the whole fame thing. I think she was very lucky to have such grounded parents, and a family that has always supported her.
You have hit the nail on the head there. I think that the influence of her dignified and admirable parents is crucial. The point I meant to make- but was not clear- is that Evert has always been a deep person and not as obvious a stereotype as the press portrayed. That depth of character I was comparing to Navratilova. Hope ur well. xx
iainmac is offline  
post #784 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
You have hit the nail on the head there. I think that the influence of her dignified and admirable parents is crucial. The point I meant to make- but was not clear- is that Evert has always been a deep person and not as obvious a stereotype as the press portrayed. That depth of character I was comparing to Navratilova. Hope ur well. xx
Hi Iainmac, I'm very well, I hope you are too

Chrissie has always said, she isn't the person, the press have reported her to be. She never was "The Ice Maiden", just a very shy, awkward, teenage girl, doing her best to cope, after being plunged in to limelight. Looking back it must have been a frightening experience. I think it is a very wise person, who can keep a part of themselves hidden away, from prying eyes.
chrissiefan is offline  
post #785 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Hi Iainmac, I'm very well, I hope you are too

Chrissie has always said, she isn't the person, the press have reported her to be. She never was "The Ice Maiden", just a very shy, awkward, teenage girl, doing her best to cope, after being plunged in to limelight. Looking back it must have been a frightening experience. I think it is a very wise person, who can keep a part of themselves hidden away, from prying eyes.
I agree with that totally. The degree of press intrusion after her debut at the 71 Open was unheard of at that time in tennis. And as you say she was deep down a very shy girl when young. So it was wise not to reveal too much of herself to a prying world. And I am fine thanks, just chaving awa as we say here!!!!!!!1
iainmac is offline  
post #786 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I agree with that totally. The degree of press intrusion after her debut at the 71 Open was unheard of at that time in tennis. And as you say she was deep down a very shy girl when young. So it was wise not to reveal too much of herself to a prying world. And I am fine thanks, just chaving awa as we say here!!!!!!!1
OK I've spent ages tring to work out what "chaving awa" means The best I've come up with is "just chilling". How close am I?
chrissiefan is offline  
post #787 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
OK I've spent ages tring to work out what "chaving awa" means The best I've come up with is "just chilling". How close am I?
You are not so far wrong. It is a Doric, that is Aberdonian expression that means that I am just fine and getting on with life and work etc etc xx
iainmac is offline  
post #788 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
You are not so far wrong. It is a Doric, that is Aberdonian expression that means that I am just fine and getting on with life and work etc etc xx
That's not a bad guess, from a little old Bedfordshire girl, who has never been to Scotland! Although my fave football hero, of all time did come from Scotland. I'll give you 3 chances to pick the right guy.
chrissiefan is offline  
post #789 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
That's not a bad guess, from a little old Bedfordshire girl, who has never been to Scotland! Although my fave football hero, of all time did come from Scotland. I'll give you 3 chances to pick the right guy.
Now are you going to torment me with this one? Ok was it Kenny Dalgleish? Or Ally McCoist? And yes you were close enough to getting the answer. Now you really should visit Scotland at some point in time you know!!!!!
iainmac is offline  
post #790 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Now are you going to torment me with this one? Ok was it Kenny Dalgleish? Or Ally McCoist? And yes you were close enough to getting the answer. Now you really should visit Scotland at some point in time you know!!!!!
Of course it was King Kenny. Fantastic footballer and a great guy too! I don't know where you got Ally McCoist from, but I did like him as a Captain on Question of Sport!

I would love to come to Scotland, someday, but if evryone goes around saying things like"chaving awa", I won't know what anyone is talking about!
chrissiefan is offline  
post #791 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Of course it was King Kenny. Fantastic footballer and a great guy too! I don't know where you got Ally McCoist from, but I did like him as a Captain on Question of Sport!

I would love to come to Scotland, someday, but if evryone goes around saying things like"chaving awa", I won't know what anyone is talking about!
The majority of the Scots are lovely speakers of the English language. Mind you I dont know that I am one of them. I kind of thought it would be Kenny!!!!!!
iainmac is offline  
post #792 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
samn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,961
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I would love to come to Scotland, someday, but if evryone goes around saying things like"chaving awa", I won't know what anyone is talking about!
I work for a Scottish organisation, and when I speak to some of my colleagues up in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I often have to ask them to repeat everything they say. They must think that I'm either one of those rude Londoners people talk about or terribly hard of hearing.

Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline  
post #793 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
I work for a Scottish organisation, and when I speak to some of my colleagues up in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I often have to ask them to repeat everything they say. They must think that I'm either one of those rude Londoners people talk about or terribly hard of hearing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one One of my friends comes from Scotland, and I often lose the sentence halfway through. I just nod and smile though, I don't like to admit, I didn't understand what she had said!
chrissiefan is offline  
post #794 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
The majority of the Scots are lovely speakers of the English language. Mind you I dont know that I am one of them. I kind of thought it would be Kenny!!!!!!
Let'a be honest, how many footballing superstars, have you got!! Just out of interest, is Kenny looked upon as a hero in Scotland.

Iainmac, I'm sure you have a lovely speaking voice! If you are ever in my neck of the woods, I will see if I can find you a "Bedfordshire Clanger", to take home with you!
chrissiefan is offline  
post #795 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
I work for a Scottish organisation, and when I speak to some of my colleagues up in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I often have to ask them to repeat everything they say. They must think that I'm either one of those rude Londoners people talk about or terribly hard of hearing.
I am sure they dont- we get used to it. I am quite eloquent but when I am abroad I leave speaking to my partner a lot of the time. Very few people have a clue what I am saying!!! His accent is from Inverness area and that is far more proper than my Glaswegian with a touch of Edinburgh thrown in- ye ken?
iainmac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome