Chris Evert Thread - Page 19 - TennisForum.com

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 2533 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,748
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I guess line calls come and go, but there are a handful of situations where the calls are so incredibly (and obviously) bad, that it really gets one's dander up- like the Serena Williams / Jennifer Capriati USO match a few years back. I can't remember ever being so angry over a line call as I was when they called that Serena backhand down the line winner out.
Nothing against Serena, but being a Capriati fan, I loved it. Not very sportsmanlike of me, I know, but at least I'm honest about it, you know. It's like, fuck, a win is a win, you know.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 2533 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
i was just sent a really rare pix of chrissie walking to the court with francoise durr in the 1973 french semi! enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evert.JPG (35.8 KB, 98 views)
daze11 is offline  
post #273 of 2533 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
pinapin54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
                     
this is a more recent pic: indian wells 2006

pinapin54 is offline  
post #274 of 2533 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,748
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54
this is a more recent pic: indian wells 2006

Elena and Masha may be two of the most attractive ladies on the tour today, but the cutest girl on this photo is the one in the middle.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #275 of 2533 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 500
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54
this is a more recent pic: indian wells 2006


I really like Chrissie with long hair. She looks great.
jeanmi18 is offline  
post #276 of 2533 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NICE (France)
Posts: 28
 
Cool All Evert Double Titles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmi18
I really like Chrissie with long hair. She looks great.
Hello !

I seek all chris Evert double tiltles since 1970 !

Please, Rollo, give me all titles won by chris, the surface and the date place.

I kiss you.


MamZelleSansGêne !
MamZelleSansGêne is offline  
post #277 of 2533 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,551
                     
Amazing Evert! I was doing some research today and just wondered how many times Chris lost in the 1st round of an event. Though I'm trusting the unreliable WTA website, the first first round loss I found was the Virginia Slims of Boston in March of '76 to Dianne Fromholtz, a lefty who often gave her trouble. Oddly enough, this was the first time I've seen in Chris' career where she even lost before the quarterfinals of an event. Has there ever been another player who upon beginning her career, immediately went to the top echelon without even a couple of losses to lower ranked players?

Chris' Career Early Round Defeats
'76 1R VS Boston Fromholtz 26 62 63
'79 1R Avon Florida Greer Stevens 62 63
'83 3R Wimbledon Kathy Jordan 61 76
'85 1R VS Champs Kathy Jordan 62 06 62
'87 3R VS Florida Kate Gompert 36 64 62
'87 1R VS Champs Sylvia Hanika 64 64
'88 3R French Open Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 61 76
'88 3R Olympics Raffaella Reggi 26 64 61
'89 2R Indian Wells Hana Mandlikova 36 76 60
'89 2R European Open Barbara Paulus 64 61
'89 2R Canadian Open Anne Minter 64 75
Total: 11 Career Early Round Losses

Note: Fromholtz also beat Evert in her first match at the '77 Colgate Series Championships, but Evert beat Wade, Navratilova and King to win the event.

PreacherFan
preacherfan is offline  
post #278 of 2533 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM
Jem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,285
                     
Hi, preacherfan: Check out ChrisEvert.net. It's truly comprehensive. Alas, Chrissie did suffer the rare early round losses:

When she was still just 15 and before she shocked Margaret Court, she lost the following first-round matches in 1970:
Haverford: 1R lost to Kerry Melville-Reid 4-6, 4-6
South Orange: 1R lost to Peachy Bartkowicz 2-6, 1-6


In early 1971, she suffered a shocking first-round loss on clay to Denise Carter in the Virginia Slims of Fort Lauderdale, no less: 2-6, 7-6, 4-6. This has to rank as one of the most surprising results in the game!

From that point on, however, there was no loss before the quarterfinals until that surprise to Fromholtz in Boston in 1976. As you noted, there probably was no other player who suffered fewer upset losses in her career than Chris, especially when she was coming up. From the time she truly emerged at Forest Hills in 1971, her consistency and brilliance were remarkable.

She's the true queen of the game in my book!
Jem is offline  
post #279 of 2533 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,917
                     
I can think of one more:
83 2R Tokyo Queens Lisa Bonder 75 46 64

Such near-immunity to early losses (from the age of 18 to 30, she suffered just four!!) is unmatched in modern tennis and yet another example of Chris' consistency. Also if you look at the names of her adversaries, most were former, future or current top 10 players.

Traits Gandhi considered the most spiritually perilous to humanity.
*Wealth without Work * Pleasure without Conscience

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline  
post #280 of 2533 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
I call her the preservation champions because she seemed to resemble champions of the past like Helen Wills, Molla Mallory, Maureen Connolly, and Pauline Betz. She revolutionized the two-hander.
trivfun is offline  
post #281 of 2533 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,551
                     
Look at ten of the best players in the world and Chris Evert's record in her first five matches with each player. In every instance but one (Guess who? Nancy Richey), she won at least 3 of the five. Casals, Durr and Masthoff went 0-5 vs. Evert. Goolagong won 1 and the rest 2. Richey was 5-0... amazing!

Another interesting fact, Evert never trailed in her h2h with any of these players other than Richey whom she overtook 6-5 by Richey's retirement.

Amazing stuff: She beat Wade 61 61 in their first encounter. In their 3rd match, she defeated King in '72 (#1 in world) 61 60. As a 15 year old, she beat Court 76 76 in Margaret's Slam year.

Again, no modern player has ever been so ready to step on the court and compete from day one on the tour. Can you imagine a junior coming out and beating Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova and the rest from day one? Navratilova didn't. Graf didn't. Hingis didn't. Venus didn't. Probably Seles, Serena and Austin were the closest, but they still lost their shares of matches before rising to the top.

PreacherFan
preacherfan is offline  
post #282 of 2533 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,443
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Bump up for this thread
Rollo is offline  
post #283 of 2533 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Look at ten of the best players in the world and Chris Evert's record in her first five matches with each player. In every instance but one (Guess who? Nancy Richey), she won at least 3 of the five. Casals, Durr and Masthoff went 0-5 vs. Evert. Goolagong won 1 and the rest 2. Richey was 5-0... amazing!

Another interesting fact, Evert never trailed in her h2h with any of these players other than Richey whom she overtook 6-5 by Richey's retirement.

Amazing stuff: She beat Wade 61 61 in their first encounter. In their 3rd match, she defeated King in '72 (#1 in world) 61 60. As a 15 year old, she beat Court 76 76 in Margaret's Slam year.

Again, no modern player has ever been so ready to step on the court and compete from day one on the tour. Can you imagine a junior coming out and beating Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova and the rest from day one? Navratilova didn't. Graf didn't. Hingis didn't. Venus didn't. Probably Seles, Serena and Austin were the closest, but they still lost their shares of matches before rising to the top.

A better way to put Chris's career in perspective is this. Would we have the Russians, Kim Clijsters, Tracy Austin, Monica Seles, Williams sisters, Martina Hingis, and Lindsay Davenport without Chris? Because of the two-hander
that she brought to the game.

Live so that when you are gone, it would have mattered---- Betty Feezor
trivfun is offline  
post #284 of 2533 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Look at ten of the best players in the world and Chris Evert's record in her first five matches with each player. In every instance but one (Guess who? Nancy Richey), she won at least 3 of the five. Casals, Durr and Masthoff went 0-5 vs. Evert. Goolagong won 1 and the rest 2. Richey was 5-0... amazing!

Another interesting fact, Evert never trailed in her h2h with any of these players other than Richey whom she overtook 6-5 by Richey's retirement.

Amazing stuff: She beat Wade 61 61 in their first encounter. In their 3rd match, she defeated King in '72 (#1 in world) 61 60. As a 15 year old, she beat Court 76 76 in Margaret's Slam year.

Again, no modern player has ever been so ready to step on the court and compete from day one on the tour. Can you imagine a junior coming out and beating Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova and the rest from day one? Navratilova didn't. Graf didn't. Hingis didn't. Venus didn't. Probably Seles, Serena and Austin were the closest, but they still lost their shares of matches before rising to the top.
As amazing as all of that really is, it's also accurate to give props to her father having the amazing foresight to have molded and guided his daughter (when everyone else was playing the Hopman attacking game) at such an early age by perfecting that precision baseline style of play. Her game came out of the blocks with such shocking precision, as well as a virtually un-readable two-handed backhand that none of the top players were used to seeing, or were prepared to counter. Richey had a one-handed backhand and a baseline viciousness probably equal to Evert's which explains her giving Chris so much trouble, but all of the rest of the top players were either all-court or net rushers. It also bears mentioning that the win over King in 72 was on Florida clay. A look at their first five encounters on grass paints a decidedly different picture. Just a few thoughts, none of which to diminish the greatness of how that little catholic school-girl from Ft. Lauderdale came storming out of the blocks- it's amazing!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #285 of 2533 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
As amazing as all of that really is, it's also accurate to give props to her father having the amazing foresight to have molded and guided his daughter (when everyone else was playing the Hopman attacking game) at such an early age by perfecting that precision baseline style of play. Her game came out of the blocks with such shocking precision, as well as a virtually un-readable two-handed backhand that none of the top players were used to seeing, or were prepared to counter. Richey had a one-handed backhand and a baseline viciousness probably equal to Evert's which explains her giving Chris so much trouble, but all of the rest of the top players were either all-court or net rushers. It also bears mentioning that the win over King in 72 was on Florida clay. A look at their first five encounters on grass paints a decidedly different picture. Just a few thoughts, none of which to diminish the greatness of how that little catholic school-girl from Ft. Lauderdale came storming out of the blocks- it's amazing!

I would say in sport you haven't seen it since LeBron James.

Live so that when you are gone, it would have mattered---- Betty Feezor
trivfun is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome