Chris Evert Thread - Page 169 - TennisForum.com

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2521 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,886
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Where can we find this documentary called The French? I can't find anything online.
Mark43 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,437
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

I started a thread here Mark-touts pour tu mes amis! (sorry for the wretched French!)

The French (1981 Roland Garros documentary)


Visit us at the Blast From The Past: Where Tennis History Lives!

http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59
Rollo is offline  
post #2523 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,886
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Thank you Rollo!
Mark43 is offline  
post #2524 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2016, 07:42 PM
BCP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London
Posts: 1,971
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Chrissie 1994 interview.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoOwf1qw0Sc
BCP is offline  
post #2525 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2016, 07:45 PM
BCP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London
Posts: 1,971
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Chrissie's Home Town 1970s documentary, with bad 1970s lounge music narrated by Mickey Rooney, and featuring a volley door whatever that is.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObOq3wPfXE
JakeMan90-93 likes this.

Last edited by BCP; Jun 9th, 2016 at 07:59 PM.
BCP is offline  
post #2526 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 67
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Thanks BCP for posting both those vids. The Charlie Rose interview was great, though I wish he would stop interrupting Chris so she could complete a sentence. Also loved that Ft. Lauderdale video, funny that Brian Gottfried was interviewed, but none of the Evert's were. It was great to finally see Holiday Park as I've always imagined what it looked like.
JakeMan90-93 is offline  
post #2527 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:48 PM
BCP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London
Posts: 1,971
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

No probs. Yep- Holiday Park is exactly how I imagined it. Hilarious 1970s casual sexism and objectification of women. Also was it me or did all the Holiday Park players had terrible technique?! Even for the 1970s?

Enjoyed the Charlie Rose interview much more than I thought I would. Interesting observations on Capriati and Seles.
BCP is offline  
post #2528 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 67
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP View Post
No probs. Yep- Holiday Park is exactly how I imagined it. Hilarious 1970s casual sexism and objectification of women. Also was it me or did all the Holiday Park players had terrible technique?! Even for the 1970s?

Enjoyed the Charlie Rose interview much more than I thought I would. Interesting observations on Capriati and Seles.
Haha re: the technique! I noticed that, too. Very few of them hit a shot with any semblance of a follow-through or take back. That designer woman seemed to be the only one with sound technique outside of the 'name' players featured. I remember Chris writing about that designer in her auto-bio, she seemed like a hoot and I loved her gray wig!

I thought her comments about Capriati and Seles were interesting as well. I think they were pretty spot-on, too. Even though Capriati did wind up winning three Slams and did achieve the number 1 ranking she was never a year end number one and I think still holds the record for being the number 1 player with the fewest titles, which speaks to Chris' comment about her not being able to dominate week in and week out.

She was correct about Seles' tenacity but Monica was really never the same after the stabbing and I think most significantly in her mental strength. She was still tough, but she lost sooooooooooo many three-setters and close ones after the stabbing, which before the stabbing were her bread and butter. She just didn't have the same sense of invincibility that she had had before.
JakeMan90-93 is offline  
post #2529 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,179
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMan90-93 View Post
Haha re: the technique! I noticed that, too. Very few of them hit a shot with any semblance of a follow-through or take back. That designer woman seemed to be the only one with sound technique outside of the 'name' players featured. I remember Chris writing about that designer in her auto-bio, she seemed like a hoot and I loved her gray wig!

I thought her comments about Capriati and Seles were interesting as well. I think they were pretty spot-on, too. Even though Capriati did wind up winning three Slams and did achieve the number 1 ranking she was never a year end number one and I think still holds the record for being the number 1 player with the fewest titles, which speaks to Chris' comment about her not being able to dominate week in and week out.

She was correct about Seles' tenacity but Monica was really never the same after the stabbing and I think most significantly in her mental strength. She was still tough, but she lost sooooooooooo many three-setters and close ones after the stabbing, which before the stabbing were her bread and butter. She just didn't have the same sense of invincibility that she had had before.
Jake, I think Monica's problem was physical rather than mental though? Against the very best players, she just ran out of gas late in the third set.




Sam L is offline  
post #2530 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 67
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Jake, I think Monica's problem was physical rather than mental though? Against the very best players, she just ran out of gas late in the third set.
She was definitely not in the physical shape she was in before the stabbing, but the reality is that she just wasn't able to pull the trigger a lot at the end of the matches, she would miss a lot of shots by that much, and she never appeared to be noticeably fatigued in her matches. I also think the physical/mental thing in her case was rather fluid in that one aspect begat the other and continued to do so, which I believe she herself addressed in her most recent book. She just was neither the same player mentally or physically after the stabbing.
JakeMan90-93 is offline  
post #2531 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btthegreat View Post
What newspaper was this in?
It was in The Palm Beach Post of August 24 1975 under the title "Evert denies Court match".
davidjaan1982 is offline  
post #2532 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,886
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

I tried to access it but the archives are paid only
Mark43 is offline  
post #2533 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 17
 
Re: Chris Evert Thread

I don't have the original clipping, but recall Court's comment "... I am ready to play whenever she is..". She also had apparently said that she had signed for a match against Evert. Chris it seems was informed of Court's comments, spoke to her Dad about it and decided to concentrate on tournament play. I am just surprised that Court - in 1975 - seemed so keen on a challenge match against Evert who had already beaten her 3 times that year.
davidjaan1982 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome