Chris Evert Thread - Page 137 - TennisForum.com

 10Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2041 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 447
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Interesting that Chris says she uses (or at least has) the original Wilson ProStaff - I would have thought she would have graduated (like me!) as the new ones come out. I am currently using the Pete Sampras model with the 88 cm head (though before it came out I was using the Federer ProStaff Tour model with a 90 cm head). I can't play with anything else! I was watching the 1984 US Open semi-final clash earlie today between McEnroe and Connors - does anyone know which model Connors was using at that time?

It take me a long time to get used to the Pete Sampras model (it came out two years ago, I think), because it does so much for you, and I found my backhands were flying out all the time. But now I have got used to it, I find that I cannot play with anything else, and wonder how I ever managed to play with my previous rackets...
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Interesting that Chris says she uses (or at least has) the original Wilson ProStaff - I would have thought she would have graduated (like me!) as the new ones come out. I am currently using the Pete Sampras model with the 88 cm head (though before it came out I was using the Federer ProStaff Tour model with a 90 cm head). I can't play with anything else! I was watching the 1984 US Open semi-final clash earlie today between McEnroe and Connors - does anyone know which model Connors was using at that time?

It take me a long time to get used to the Pete Sampras model (it came out two years ago, I think), because it does so much for you, and I found my backhands were flying out all the time. But now I have got used to it, I find that I cannot play with anything else, and wonder how I ever managed to play with my previous rackets...
I was that way with the Estusa Power Beam. I hit my best volleys ever with that racquet, and they just stopped producing it! I even scoured the web and found a few, but eventually had to switch (I'm a racquet scraper on low volleys). Though I haven't played in nearly 2 years, my current Wilson they no longer make, so a new racquet is in the offing when I return to the court. My guess is since I lost over 100lbs and lost so much muscle mass, I'll have to go with something light. Any recommendation?

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #2043 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,400
 
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54 View Post
King just said that Margaret Court is getting her vote for best female tennis player of all time.

Prominent women tennis players: http://tennis-women.blogspot.com
Billie Jean Moffitt King's playing career: http://billie-jean-moffitt-king.blogspot.com

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline  
post #2044 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 447
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I was that way with the Estusa Power Beam. I hit my best volleys ever with that racquet, and they just stopped producing it! I even scoured the web and found a few, but eventually had to switch (I'm a racquet scraper on low volleys). Though I haven't played in nearly 2 years, my current Wilson they no longer make, so a new racquet is in the offing when I return to the court. My guess is since I lost over 100lbs and lost so much muscle mass, I'll have to go with something light. Any recommendation?
I think of all the rackets I played with, I performed the best with the Pro Staff Tour 6.0 (?), the one used by Federer. But now it is obsolete. I have not been keeping up with the latest developments - when I went to buy a second Sampras 88 cm head, I had to specially get it sent from another shop, cos they had stopped making them, and that was probably 1-2 years ago. But I cannot keep buying more and more... as it is I probably have more Wilson Pro Staff rackets at home than Chris Evert!

I would maybe recommend trying the Djokovic model or whatever he is currently using. I tried it once (at least the latest one at the time), but I did not like it (I could not play with any of the K-factor series). It is certainly much lighter, and I remember thinking Djokovic's crosscourt backhands were quite "Evertesque" (like the way she was hitting them 1987-88 in some of her better wins over Martina, obviously not like she was playing 1975-76).
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
post #2045 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
I think of all the rackets I played with, I performed the best with the Pro Staff Tour 6.0 (?), the one used by Federer. But now it is obsolete. I have not been keeping up with the latest developments - when I went to buy a second Sampras 88 cm head, I had to specially get it sent from another shop, cos they had stopped making them, and that was probably 1-2 years ago. But I cannot keep buying more and more... as it is I probably have more Wilson Pro Staff rackets at home than Chris Evert!

I would maybe recommend trying the Djokovic model or whatever he is currently using. I tried it once (at least the latest one at the time), but I did not like it (I could not play with any of the K-factor series). It is certainly much lighter, and I remember thinking Djokovic's crosscourt backhands were quite "Evertesque" (like the way she was hitting them 1987-88 in some of her better wins over Martina, obviously not like she was playing 1975-76).
I have te same problem with Nike sneaks. The best I ever had were the black/copper ones (I had a white/silver) Andre Agassi wore at the 1995 USOpen. They felt as comfortable as slippers, had half-decent ankle support, and great yet soft cushiony traction. I loved them! Nike stopped making them. I'll never forget talking to Pat Shields of Fromuth Tennis (local tennis warehouse) about this, and he told me that if I like a particular Nike model, better buy a lot of them, because they change virtually every year. I wish I had.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #2046 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
pinapin54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
                     
pinapin54 is offline  
post #2047 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Thanks Pinapin! I did know about the dirty sense of humour!!
chrissiefan is offline  
post #2048 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
pinapin54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

http://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/20...ris_evert.html
niiice old pics!
pinapin54 is offline  
post #2049 of 2533 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Lovely Pics! It's great to look back, thanks Pinapin.
chrissiefan is offline  
post #2050 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,192
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Does anyone know if Chris still plays with wood racquets ever?




Sam L is offline  
post #2051 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Does anyone know if Chris still plays with wood racquets ever?
she doesn't.
i like to dream of her doing so however.
daze11 is offline  
post #2052 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 447
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Can anyone say which Wilson racket Evert is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBDr...eature=related

Check out her incredible slice volley at 1:15!! "No way!"
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
post #2053 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
LightWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,548
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

It's weird that she's saying she still plays with the Pro Staff. Every time I've seen her with a racquet it never looked like a Pro Staff at all for the last few years.
LightWarrior is offline  
post #2054 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,192
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
she doesn't.
i like to dream of her doing so however.
I didn't think so but just thought I'll check. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Can anyone say which Wilson racket Evert is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBDr...eature=related

Check out her incredible slice volley at 1:15!! "No way!"
Thanks that was great.




Sam L is offline  
post #2055 of 2533 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
pinapin54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
                     
pinapin54 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome