Chris Evert Thread - Page 129 - TennisForum.com
 10Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1921 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

I personally am not so hard on her, and it was refreshing to hear Roger's response, one that you rarely hear because people rarely ask him about motivation and how he does it. Chris isn't the greatest former champion to have in the booth, largely (to me) because she just doesn't remember specific detail about matches and experiences. I find Martina's digital memory somewhat annoying at times, but that was her life and still is to a certain extent. I doubt Chris was ever thinking about chasing records or her win/loss record. She just usually moved on. I'd take her in the booth before Austin (or Carillo for that matter) because Tracy and Mary frequently open their mouths when they don't know what they're talking about, and Mary in particular seems dyslexic at times with her reporting. Chris has always relied heavily on commentary feed in her ear because she usually just isn't interested. Give me Billie Jean King and John McEnroe in the booth at the same time any day over any of them, but it is nice to see Chris again.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I personally am not so hard on her, and it was refreshing to hear Roger's response, one that you rarely hear because people rarely ask him about motivation and how he does it. Chris isn't the greatest former champion to have in the booth, largely (to me) because she just doesn't remember specific detail about matches and experiences. I find Martina's digital memory somewhat annoying at times, but that was her life and still is to a certain extent. I doubt Chris was ever thinking about chasing records or her win/loss record. She just usually moved on. I'd take her in the booth before Austin (or Carillo for that matter) because Tracy and Mary frequently open their mouths when they don't know what they're talking about, and Mary in particular seems dyslexic at times with her reporting. Chris has always relied heavily on commentary feed in her ear because she usually just isn't interested. Give me Billie Jean King and John McEnroe in the booth at the same time any day over any of them, but it is nice to see Chris again.
Good points alfa. What I find interesting about this stint is that she's not being treated like a commentator in a traditional sense, but like royalty. Similar to if Margaret Court was all of a sudden in the booth. Each time I turn on the tv, someone ELSE comments, "It's like Chris Evert said earlier..." like they are name dropping that she's part of their team. So it is her right, being of her stature, to ask Federer a question a lot of them would not be comfortable to ask, and he will give her the respect of answering. Though I also thought, when Chris was HIS age, she was just about to become #1 again, and definitely was not having problems getting out of bed to be inspired!!! But she's probably thinking the players today don't stick around quite as long - Graf retired at 29.

lol @ Martina's "digital memory" .... indeed!!!!! Though I in particularly like her commentating with Connors, they're a very good team.

lol 2x at "commentary feed in her ear because she's not interested" -- add in, "sensible enough to not be interested"... There's not a whole lot of nuance and variety and character to speak of in the game as played by the women today. I am sure that paying attention to all these players & getting to know their games will be the most challenging & least fun part of the gig!

I dont have time to catch most of the commentary but i did hear her call some of the rezai/williams & she caught a really great point, that Rezai was using an entirely flat second serve with no room for safety with slice or top spin, and that when things get tighter, it may become a factor. Sure enough it did. I don't think anyone had picked up on it before.

What i find is that I am enjoying her there above all because she's pleasant to listen to, tonally. She is the opposite of that jock-jerk commentary style of Mac1&2/Gilbert/...and sadly, Carillo - who used to be the real poet of the tennis commentary world. But she went demonstrative, to fit in with McEnroe.

Last edited by daze11; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
daze11 is offline  
post #1923 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 447
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

When it comes to commentating, my favourites of all time - men, women or children - are:

1. Ann Jones
2. Virginia Wade
3. Billie Jean King

So good on the American networks for hiring these women when they were all actually still active on the tour.

But Chris Evert is no worker bee, she is a Queen Bee, so I think she should be wheeled out as tennis royalty, rather than being asked to do the grind of analysing shots or forehand grips. And, let's face it, unless it is men's tennis, there is not really a lot to analyse ("Sharapova bashed that ball perfectly down the middle of the court, making it land just past the service line, using up so much energy and power").

Also love Pam Shriver for her flat vowels - can't believe there are no drinking games.... "the score is now DOOSE" = down a shot of vodka.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
post #1924 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
...lol @ Martina's "digital memory" .... indeed!!!!! Though I in particularly like her commentating with Connors, they're a very good team...

...What i find is that I am enjoying her there above all because she's pleasant to listen to, tonally. She is the opposite of that jock-jerk commentary style of Mac1&2/Gilbert/...and sadly, Carillo - who used to be the real poet of the tennis commentary world. But she went demonstrative, to fit in with McEnroe.
My own personal torture would be to have Martina Navratilova and Jana Novotna together in the booth. I'd be throwing cans of beer at the TV in hopes of getting that chirping, pre-pubescent 10 year old boy conversational tone a little deeper and more well rounded. I don't know if you remember that Milk commercial from a few years ago where there's a little boy chirping out of a drawn-in balloon head (stick figure-like), and he takes a swig of milk and chimes "milk, it does a body good" before turning into a regular little boy again!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #1925 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Chris isn't the greatest former champion to have in the booth, largely (to me) because she just doesn't remember specific detail about matches and experiences.
You are so right on that. I kept expecting her to make references to Jimmy Connors in how Li Na came to the net, transition from ground stroke. She never did.

Live so that when you are gone, it would have mattered---- Betty Feezor
trivfun is offline  
post #1926 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 28
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Sorry this is negative analysis of Chris. Give her a break for goodness sake! You obviously don't like her!
BaselinersChrisE is offline  
post #1927 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 162
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Chris was my favorite player before Steffi. I loved her grace, style, tactical game, and peerless baseline play so much. I definitely miss seeing players like her on tour. Alot of the brainless bashers could learn from her.

And really she was the most consistent player and had the best longevity on top of any player ever. Nobody including Graf, Navratilova, or Court stayed near their best for a decande and half on end, had fewer bad defeats, won atleast 1 slam 13 years in a row, reached over 30 slam semifinals straight. Just an incredible champion.
Grafbestever is offline  
post #1928 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 162
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
When it comes to commentating, my favourites of all time - men, women or children - are:

1. Ann Jones
2. Virginia Wade
3. Billie Jean King

So good on the American networks for hiring these women when they were all actually still active on the tour.

But Chris Evert is no worker bee, she is a Queen Bee, so I think she should be wheeled out as tennis royalty, rather than being asked to do the grind of analysing shots or forehand grips. And, let's face it, unless it is men's tennis, there is not really a lot to analyse ("Sharapova bashed that ball perfectly down the middle of the court, making it land just past the service line, using up so much energy and power").

Also love Pam Shriver for her flat vowels - can't believe there are no drinking games.... "the score is now DOOSE" = down a shot of vodka.
Chris would a better commentator if she didnt work with NBC for years. NBC are the worst sports broadcasting network and ruin all commentators as they dictate alot of the hype oriented things they are required to say.
Grafbestever is offline  
post #1929 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 572
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Agree that they are treating Chris like "royalty". But I would imagine even she would tire of that soon enough. She was never into that sort of reverence. Well, a little bit, maybe.

Chris was good at many things. I just don't think match commentary was ever a strong point for her. I'd almost prefer if she did 'behind the scenes', trashy, gossipy reports. ("So, who are you dating now Serena?" )

FWIW: I always liked Carillo, and still think she rates at the top. But Mary was never that great with actual match analysis/commentary. That's where I felt Tracy Austin was better. So was Virginia Wade. At times, when she isn't talking incessantly, Shriver has good insights. Then she can't shut up, so you only remember the inane things she said. Mary C was better at discussing general themes about players, the tournament, etc. I think most people on here know she did play on the pro tour, albeit for a short time. So it's not as though she doesn't know what she's talking about as far as playing.
DennisFitz is offline  
post #1930 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

From listening to Chris, I learn more. And this is coming from not so fan of hers. I think fans will be looking at Maria' shoulder when she serves.

Live so that when you are gone, it would have mattered---- Betty Feezor
trivfun is offline  
post #1931 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 723
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
My own personal torture would be to have Martina Navratilova and Jana Novotna together in the booth. I'd be throwing cans of beer at the TV in hopes of getting that chirping, pre-pubescent 10 year old boy conversational tone a little deeper and more well rounded. I don't know if you remember that Milk commercial from a few years ago where there's a little boy chirping out of a drawn-in balloon head (stick figure-like), and he takes a swig of milk and chimes "milk, it does a body good" before turning into a regular little boy again!
That's strange,Alfajeffster seems to have very sensitive ears .When i'm listening to Martina ( even when she speaks French )she doesn't have a prepubescent boy voice .May be i'm a little deaf ..
calou is offline  
post #1932 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
That's strange,Alfajeffster seems to have very sensitive ears .When i'm listening to Martina ( even when she speaks French )she doesn't have a prepubescent boy voice .May be i'm a little deaf ..
Or maybe you're that silent partner from Team Navratilova that covers public relations and image. If you're into old films, it's kind of analogous to the sultry Garbo voice being compared to Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday. Novotna is pretty much on the same note as Martina, only with a machine-like robotic delivery that takes it even further. Believe me, Martina's voice has been commented on over the years. It's especially dramatic when you hear the high-pitched chirp come out of the mouth of such a husky visage. It learn a great deal from listening to her commentary- very insightful and she usually says things that no one else thinks of or notices. I met her after an exhibition here in my home town a few years back, and stood in line for her autograph. At the time, I had this kind of Robert Smith goth look going on, and after dozens of dykies in Nikes before me, it was my turn to stand in front of her with my book to autograph. She took one look at me and simply said "what are you doing here?" in reference to me being in this small town instead of someplace bigger where there were more people like me. I was shocked at first, but have been chuckling about it ever since. You never know what's going to come out of her mouth (remember her "Krajicek has diarrhea of the mouth" observation the one year at Wimbledon)? Maybe if you're in France, you didn't get HBO coverage, but it was funny.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #1933 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 210
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Here she is with Hannah and Venus....
http://search.espn.go.com/chris-evert/videos/6
Evertmad is offline  
post #1934 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Must say... she is kicking butt in the booth. Her incredible astuteness on the most minute details in the play itself is bringing the women's game alive for me, beyond a bashfest into an intriguing set of factors actively at play. And being that I know tennis enough to be able to teach it, I am doubly & triply impressed. Go Ice Maiden!
daze11 is offline  
post #1935 of 2533 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Must say... she is kicking butt in the booth. Her incredible astuteness on the most minute details in the play itself is bringing the women's game alive for me, beyond a bashfest into an intriguing set of factors actively at play. And being that I know tennis enough to be able to teach it, I am doubly & triply impressed. Go Ice Maiden!
Did you catch her bristle slightly when Chris Fowler made mention of the "Ice Maiden"? I take it she never really liked that epithet!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome