Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players - Page 36 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,863
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

According to Alan Little, Honorary Librarian at the Kenneth Ritchie Library at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, J. Tripp was, in fact, Jessie Tripp.

I have also found some information on Jessie Tripp and M. Tripp, her tennis-playing sister (apparently there was a third tennis-playing sister, B. Tripp, but she didn't take part in many tournaments).

I'll post what I have on the Tripp sisters in the near future.
-----
newmark401 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #527 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,335
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Great news about the Tripp sisters. We look forward to hearing more about them.

Thanks Mark
Rollo is offline  
post #528 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

EDNA SMITH
United States
Born circa 1912
Married James Abraham Shalala, 1939
[Active 1930s-40s.]
Jimbo109 is offline  
 
post #529 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
country flag LKK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,454
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo109 View Post
EDNA SMITH
United States
Born circa 1912
Married James Abraham Shalala, 1939
[Active 1930s-40s.]
I just added her to the list, thanks Jimbo

Her bio can be found here:
http://clevelandsportshall.com/shalala-edna-smith/

Last edited by LKK; May 17th, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
LKK is offline  
post #530 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
country flag LKK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,454
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
According to Alan Little, Honorary Librarian at the Kenneth Ritchie Library at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, J. Tripp was, in fact, Jessie Tripp.

I have also found some information on Jessie Tripp and M. Tripp, her tennis-playing sister (apparently there was a third tennis-playing sister, B. Tripp, but she didn't take part in many tournaments).

I'll post what I have on the Tripp sisters in the near future.
-----
According to LKK Miss "B" Tripp participated in a few tournaments on the French Riviera in 1909, she was there together with Miss "J" Tripp (who seems to be more successful tennis player) that year.

Last edited by LKK; May 17th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
LKK is offline  
post #531 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Please check this, I am not sure that she is our player.

VIRGINIA L. HESS
United States
Born 17 September 1912
Died 10 July 1985
Married Edward Christopher Grelle (27.5.1901-5.1.1970)
[Active 1930s.]
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #532 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,863
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

The three most likely candidates for the English tennis-playing Tripp sisters are the following:

Jessie Spencer Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1879 in Cornwall, England
Died
--

Mabel Clara Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1881 in Cornwall, England
Died 1967 in Falmouth, Cornwall, England
Married Frederick Belbin in 1901 in Bodmin, Cornwall, England; divorced or widowed?
--

Bessie Bray Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1884 in Cornwall, England
Died 1984
Married William Henry Giles in 1904 in Bodmin, Cornwall, England
--

Jessie, Mabel and Bessie Tripp were three of the nine children of Frederick and Kate Tripp who lived in Bodmin in the county of Cornwall in south-west England towards the end of the nineteenth century. It appears that Mr Tripp was active in the oil industry.

Although Bessie Tripp did not play much lawn tennis, probably because she married in 1904, Jessie and Mabel Tripp did play a good deal, especially on the French Riviera in the years leadind up World War One.

The only contradiction in the above biographical information is Mabel's marriage to a Frederick Belbin in 1901. However, it is quite possible that this marriage did not work out or that Frederick Belbin died at a young age.
-----
newmark401 is offline  
post #533 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

RUBY ROBERTS
Canada
Born 1908
Died 2001
Married Frank H. Fisher (1907-88)

She was sister of Dorothy, with whom she played in Doubles.
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #534 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

ALVA SAMUELSSON
Sweden
Born 1913
Died 2002
Married Björk, circa 1938
[Active 1930s-50s.]

samuelsson bjork_alva.jpg
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #535 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

CHRISTINA SANDBERG
Sweden
Born 11 January 1948
Married Lang
[Active 1960s-70s.]

sandberg christina-.jpg Sandberg Christina_.jpg
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #536 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,335
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
The three most likely candidates for the English tennis-playing Tripp sisters are the following:

Jessie Spencer Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1879 in Cornwall, England
Died
--

Mabel Clara Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1881 in Cornwall, England
Died 1967 in Falmouth, Cornwall, England
Married Frederick Belbin in 1901 in Bodmin, Cornwall, England; divorced or widowed?
--

Bessie Bray Tripp
United Kingdom
Born 1884 in Cornwall, England
Died 1984
Married William Henry Giles in 1904 in Bodmin, Cornwall, England
--

Jessie, Mabel and Bessie Tripp were three of the nine children of Frederick and Kate Tripp who lived in Bodmin in the county of Cornwall in south-west England towards the end of the nineteenth century. It appears that Mr Tripp was active in the oil industry.

Although Bessie Tripp did not play much lawn tennis, probably because she married in 1904, Jessie and Mabel Tripp did play a good deal, especially on the French Riviera in the years leadind up World War One.

The only contradiction in the above biographical information is Mabel's marriage to a Frederick Belbin in 1901. However, it is quite possible that this marriage did not work out or that Frederick Belbin died at a young age.
Hi Mark

Using your information I found more on Jessie Spencer Tripp using ancestry.com

born January/March of 1979, she died October-December of 1968.

She was married to a James Brewer (born circa 1877) by 1901.

I thought the Tripps were Misses up to at least 1909-or do I have my dates wrong?
Rollo is offline  
post #537 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Hi LKK, I have found some married Polish players, but we need you for more info!

GERTRUDA VOLKMER
Married Jacobsen
[Active 1920s-30s.]

in 3rd pic she is on left, with Bokorne
in last pic L to R, first row: Wanda Dubienska, ?, ?, Lisl Herbst, Boniecka, Volkmer

volkmer jacobsen gertruda.jpg Volkmer Gertruda.jpg volkmer gertrud e bokorne.jpg

nowak dubienska wanda, x, x, lisl herbst, boniecka, gertruda volkmer.jpg
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #538 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

BARBARA KRAL
Poland
Born 27 July 1948
Married Lechoslaw Olsza, circa 1976?
[Active 1960s-70s.]

She is mother of Aleksandra, Wimbledon Junior champion 1995.

kral olsza barbara.jpg
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #539 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

DANUTA WIECZOREK
Poland
Born 27 April 1949
Married Szwaj

JOANNA SAKOWICZ
Poland
Born 1 May 1984
Married Michal Kostecki (or Kosteckiego?), 2008
Jimbo109 is offline  
post #540 of 4469 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
country flag LKK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,454
                     
Re: Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hi Mark

Using your information I found more on Jessie Spencer Tripp using ancestry.com

born January/March of 1979, she died October-December of 1968.

She was married to a James Brewer (born circa 1877) by 1901.

I thought the Tripps were Misses up to at least 1909-or do I have my dates wrong?
In tennis draws J. Tripp was still listed as Miss in 1914, M. Tripp even longer, until 1926 !
LKK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome