Blast From the Past Returns - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Blast From the Past Returns

Well, after 2 years of see-saw health issues, I finally made it back out on the tennis court today. Everything is all jumbled, and my backhand, which was always my best shot, was totally missing. I don't even want to see my serve yet, but it was nice to just get out there on a nice day and move around a little. I know it's only a matter of time until I win Wimbledon, but I realize I have a few things to work on first (like getting the ball back over the net, but that's inconsequential in the grand slam scheme of things!) Almost forgot how much I missed it.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Love the Legends of Tennis
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,447
                     
Re: Blast From the Past Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Well, after 2 years of see-saw health issues, I finally made it back out on the tennis court today. Everything is all jumbled, and my backhand, which was always my best shot, was totally missing. I don't even want to see my serve yet, but it was nice to just get out there on a nice day and move around a little. I know it's only a matter of time until I win Wimbledon, but I realize I have a few things to work on first (like getting the ball back over the net, but that's inconsequential in the grand slam scheme of things!) Almost forgot how much I missed it.
Congratulations Alfa! I can't imagine being unable to play for so long. I miss it after a week! And the joy of doing things like playing tennis etc is better for your health than any medication you can take.

I hope your career takes off again

Fave recent players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin .. Radwanska ..
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Blast From the Past Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Congratulations Alfa! I can't imagine being unable to play for so long. I miss it after a week! And the joy of doing things like playing tennis etc is better for your health than any medication you can take.

I hope your career takes off again
Thanks, Craig. You know, the one thing I noticed that was missing more than anything was footwork. I always took it for granted, and yesterday reminded me (graphically) how none of the other shots are possible without footwork. I almost fell on my tush a few times, because my feet had become used to the Tempurpedic and in the chair watching the tube. A good report from the doc on Friday prompted me to get off my arse and just get out there, and even though everything is sore as hell today, it was worth it!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Love the Legends of Tennis
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,447
                     
Re: Blast From the Past Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Thanks, Craig. You know, the one thing I noticed that was missing more than anything was footwork. I always took it for granted, and yesterday reminded me (graphically) how none of the other shots are possible without footwork. I almost fell on my tush a few times, because my feet had become used to the Tempurpedic and in the chair watching the tube. A good report from the doc on Friday prompted me to get off my arse and just get out there, and even though everything is sore as hell today, it was worth it!
Well it's a great thing you did get back out there. Also it will take a fair bit of time for your touch to return. When I am rusty it is the touch shots that are vulnerable. The serve won't take as long to come back, along with the volleys and drives.

Anyway, the key to everything falling into place again is to simply enjoy the simple act of running around and hitting tennis balls. It certainly is one of my great pleasures and when you are having fun I find you don't have to think too much and the shots just start to flow.

Fave recent players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin .. Radwanska ..
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Re: Blast From the Past Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Well it's a great thing you did get back out there. Also it will take a fair bit of time for your touch to return. When I am rusty it is the touch shots that are vulnerable. The serve won't take as long to come back, along with the volleys and drives.

Anyway, the key to everything falling into place again is to simply enjoy the simple act of running around and hitting tennis balls. It certainly is one of my great pleasures and when you are having fun I find you don't have to think too much and the shots just start to flow.
Boy- I thought I was sore yesterday. I forgot how soreness hits me 2 days later. Spent most of the day horizontal because walking was very painful today. I don't know why, but I'm hitting my backhand with an open stance instead of where I used to turn sideways and get down naturally. Weird. I've lost nearly 70 pounds in the last year, and along with that the muscles have atrophied a bit. Much work to do. Thanks for the encouragement.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome