General public's interest in women's tennis is so low these days compared to when Steffi was playing. I guess one way the media can create the interest is by creating hype and saying 'hey, we have the best ever playing, you need to watch her playing' and partly could be that American tennis needs recognition really bad. Steffi never needed any of this when she was young or in later years as she gave very little for the media to talk about. If there was one player whose career did not need media's help, Steffi will be the first on that list.
Absolutely! Tennis never be the same since Steffi's retirement. As a indian,we know that white people negletes blacks in goat list (for ex: cricket,chess...etc! even we have great champs in those sport). and we know that whites also hates whites and the only Americans always wants to be no.1 ,even there is no.1 in out of america. I mean if Steffi is not a german,then every tennis writer called her GOAT and Frank Deford also writes greatly about Graf.
But we know she is German and never forget her national flag even after her retirement or even in exhibition matches. Interestingly Steffi never asks for GOAT title like Navratilova. Steffi never cares those lists and she still German even she married an iranian-american Agassi and living in america.
Also consider my points here:-
1) In 1996, The best indian sport writer wrote an article in Hindu newspaper(The Sportstar magazine is a publication of Hindu in India) with title: "Graf greatest of all"?. In this article he called her GOAT in not only in tennis,but all sports.
2)At wimbledon times, She got many replies as GOAT in Tennis magazine.
3)There are many discussions in 1996.Even Martina confirmed Graf as best all-rounder of all time.
4) Graf also voted as "Most favourite tennis player in the world" .There she got more votes than Pete Sampras. (At present even beauty Sharapova never near to Federer's fan count).
5) I read a tons of times Steffi as GOAT.
* We all know Steve Flink's tennis book is the no.1 in all tennis history books. There he selected Steffi as No.1 and Martina as No.2.
*In 1999 Graf voted as GOAT tennis player by tennis experts panel.
* Voted GOAT womens player in all ball sports. (where she got more than double of 2nd persona's votes)
-> Don't care Serena GOAT matter now.
* Henin is greater than Serena even she didn't won a title at wimbledon.
* According to my knowledge, Serena believed that Graf is greatest and Martina,Connoly next in her list!!!
*Try to collect old articles and polls my friends,
How are you djul14,jessyka,selesao82,irma,lynz?
Steffi Graf - My Best:
"Steffi is the goddess of Tennis" : John McEnroe
"She let her racket do the talking. I've always looked up to her and the way she approached the game" : Pete Sampras
"In my opinion she 's the best lady that has ever played" : Andre Agassi
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King