Virginia Ruzici results thread - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,803
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Just flicked through this thread for the first time...Noticed the Bremar Cup from London in December isn't listed. It was a 16-draw event, with seeds Wade, King, Stove and I think Tomanova. Virginia reached the semi-finals where she was thrashed 6-1 6-0 by Virginia Wade. I know, coz I was there! It was at Crystal Palace, and the event seems to have been airbrushed out of history! I'll dig out my old programme -maybe later today- to see who Virginia beat in the first round and Quarter-final.
Bremar Cup, Crystal palace, London 5-11 December 1977
Ir: Ruzici d. Jackie Fayter 36 64 62
QF: Ruzic d. (4) Renata Tomanove 46 62 63
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
1r: Ruzici/Florenza Mihai d. Fayter/Belinda Thompson 63 63
SF: King/Tomanova d. Ruzici/Mihai 61 63
Declan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Bremar Cup, Crystal palace, London 5-11 December 1977
Ir: Ruzici d. Jackie Fayter 36 64 62
QF: Ruzic d. (4) Renata Tomanove 46 62 63
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
1r: Ruzici/Florenza Mihai d. Fayter/Belinda Thompson 63 63
SF: King/Tomanova d. Ruzici/Mihai 61 63
Sounds like a good tournament with a good line up. Renata Tomanova was definitely the better player at that stage of their careers so that was a fine win for Ruzici. Jackie Fayter- what happended to her I wonder?
iainmac is offline  
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,803
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Sounds like a good tournament with a good line up. Renata Tomanova was definitely the better player at that stage of their careers so that was a fine win for Ruzici. Jackie Fayter- what happended to her I wonder?
"Tennis Today" magazine - the best of the defunct British ones - pointed out it was the first time Ruzici had beaten Tomanova.
Declan is offline  
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
"Tennis Today" magazine - the best of the defunct British ones - pointed out it was the first time Ruzici had beaten Tomanova.
That is interesting, yes I would imagine looking at their careers up to that point that Ruzici was a little behind Tomanova in confidence, not ability though.
iainmac is offline  
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 26,787
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Bremar Cup, Crystal palace, London 5-11 December 1977
Ir: Ruzici d. Jackie Fayter 36 64 62
QF: Ruzic d. (4) Renata Tomanove 46 62 63
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
1r: Ruzici/Florenza Mihai d. Fayter/Belinda Thompson 63 63
SF: King/Tomanova d. Ruzici/Mihai 61 63

Out of interest, whereabouts in Crystal Palace was the tournament held?
AdeyC is online now  
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,803
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Out of interest, whereabouts in Crystal Palace was the tournament held?
The National Sports Centre, in the site of the old palace, part of the park. We used to go there with my school for squash and swimming on a Wednesday afternoon. One day in 1976 when we went we passed Chris Evert and Rosie Casals standing outside the entrance chatting! They were there for the Wightman Cup, held there, as was the Dewar Cup on occasions.
Declan is offline  
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
The National Sports Centre, in the site of the old palace, part of the park. We used to go there with my school for squash and swimming on a Wednesday afternoon. One day in 1976 when we went we passed Chris Evert and Rosie Casals standing outside the entrance chatting! They were there for the Wightman Cup, held there, as was the Dewar Cup on occasions.
Didn't Great Britain play Zimbabwe there in the Davis Cup about ten years or so ago? I presume Declan that it was the same place where Britain famously beat Australia to get to the Davis Cup final in 78?
I enjoy reading about the Wightman Cup in 76. Sounded a good event. If Glynis Coles had beaten Terry Holladay sounds like it could have went right down to the last doubles. My money would have been on Sue Mappin and Lesley Charles
iainmac is offline  
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 26,787
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
The National Sports Centre, in the site of the old palace, part of the park. We used to go there with my school for squash and swimming on a Wednesday afternoon. One day in 1976 when we went we passed Chris Evert and Rosie Casals standing outside the entrance chatting! They were there for the Wightman Cup, held there, as was the Dewar Cup on occasions.
Funnily enough I used to go there with my school for squash too, although this was in 1981/2. You didn't by any chance go to Forest Hill School
AdeyC is online now  
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 572
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Bremar Cup, Crystal palace, London 5-11 December 1977
Ir: Ruzici d. Jackie Fayter 36 64 62
QF: Ruzic d. (4) Renata Tomanove 46 62 63
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
1r: Ruzici/Florenza Mihai d. Fayter/Belinda Thompson 63 63
SF: King/Tomanova d. Ruzici/Mihai 61 63
Hi would you happen to have the entire draw from the Crystal Palace 1977 tournament? It is one of the events missing from collection of tournaments from 1977 that I am using for a ranking project. Thanks much for your assistance!
DennisFitz is offline  
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,803
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Yeah, I do, but we have weekend guests arriving in an hour and I replaced the Bremar Cup programme right at the very bottom of my huge tennis magazine pile in a not-very-accessible place! But I'll do it as soon as they go tomorrow night....
Declan is offline  
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,803
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Hi would you happen to have the entire draw from the Crystal Palace 1977 tournament? It is one of the events missing from collection of tournaments from 1977 that I am using for a ranking project. Thanks much for your assistance!
Completed, and added to 1977 Results thread.
Declan is offline  
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Completed, and added to 1977 Results thread.
Would be great to have a big womens event indoors in Britain at winter time again!!!
iainmac is offline  
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 26,787
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Would be great to have a big womens event indoors in Britain at winter time again!!!
should never have got rid of the Brighton tournament, only a ten minute walk for me
AdeyC is online now  
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
should never have got rid of the Brighton tournament, only a ten minute walk for me
I agree it was a great tournament, and what a cheek when you were within walking distance to cancel it.
iainmac is offline  
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 26,787
                     
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I agree it was a great tournament, and what a cheek when you were within walking distance to cancel it.
I know, it's hard to imagine such depths of criminality isnt it
AdeyC is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome