Tennis Forum banner

Ahl thinks she can beat Dokic - is she high?!

999 views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Monica_Rules 
#1 ·
If Lucie can beat a qualifier in teh first round of the DFS Classic in Birmingham, she will face top seed and world number 8, Jelena Dokic.

Dokic, who reached the quarters of Roalnd Garros would obviously be the clear favourite, but Lucie thinks she has a chance of winning:

"If i was to meet Jelena, the odds would be considerably in her favour. I have the tennis in me to win these sort of games. Its about inner-belief, and at the moment i have lots"

What is she on? Your answers here. :)

I say stupid pills.

But anyway i wish her the best of luck coz i want her to win, she has 37 points to defend from last year.

Paul

#2 ·
full article can be found here at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/tennis/newsid_2036000/2036985.stm

but i will copy/paste the main bit here:

British number two Lucie Ahl believes she has the game to trouble top seed Jelena Dokic at the DFS Classic in Birmingham.
Ahl will face the French Open quarter-finalist in the second round if she wins her opening match against a qualifier on Tuesday.

She is hoping to emulate Australia's Alicia Molik, who beat Dokic in straight sets in her opening match at Edgbaston last year.

It is so important to get two weeks on grass before Wimbledon

Jelena Dokic
"I have had some very good results and feel my game is improving," Ahl said.

"I have managed to beat a few players in the top 100 and that has boosted my confidence.

"I am enjoying my tennis at the moment and the prospect of facing Jelena is quite exciting.

"But first of all I have to get through my first round match and that is what I am focussed on.

"If I do go and meet Jelena then the odds will be heavily in her favour.

Stevenson will also be in action in Birmingham

"But it is all to play for as far as I am concerned as these are the types of tournaments where upsets can happen.

"I feel I have the tennis in me to win a game like this. It's all about self belief and I have a lot of that at the moment."

Dokic plans to use the event to fine-tune her grass court game for Wimbledon.

"It is so important to get two weeks on grass before Wimbledon," she said.

"I needed to get another tournament in and this is a tough field."

#3 ·
As much as I like Lucie, no. True, she can beat top 100 players, but Jelena is far better than anyone Lucie has beaten this season.
And first she has to get past that qualifier:eek:

So, I have come to the conclusion that Lucie is smoking weed.;)

#6 ·
Paul ....... some good news for you :p
she already has got 12 pts from Surbiton so 1 win here will be ok for her rank (she will only lose 12-14 pts)

As for beating Jelena, i doubt we will ever see the 1st rd completed ;)

#7 ·
lol Eggy.

And thanks for teh news on her ranking. If she looses r1 (which i hope she doesnt), she'll drop to about 200, i think.

its at times like these i hate my parents. I was meant to be going fro monday-wednesday. Imagine what i COULD have possibly seen. And Elena vs Maguii and Julie vs Widjaja - WOW!!!

parents, i want a divorce :p

Paul :D

#8 ·
i'll be there on centre court on wednesday. i'll take some photos

#9 ·
Is she wrong to believe in herself?

If she doesn't believe she can do it then she's essentially already lost before she steps on the court.

#11 ·
If Lucie is going to do it, now is definitely the time. She is playing her best tennis at the moment, and Dokic has 76 niggling injuries at the moment due to the fact that she refuses to take a week off for some reason. Grass is also Lucie's best surface, and she has posted her best wins on the surface. Still, Ahl beating Dokic is a longshot, to say the least. Beating players around 80 or 90 like she has done is one thing, but its a much different story to beat a top 10 player. It could happen though. It's all about who shows up on that particular day, and if Lucie does show up, good things can happen

#12 ·
Highly unlikely to happen, but there are more shocking things that have happened.

As mentioned, better she come in with some belief than none at all. If she didn't think she had some glimmer of hope, then there'd be little point to playing in the first place.

#13 ·
Lol i was just joking. After meeting her i think she can take a set, providing seh actually beats the qualifier first,

She has all teh confidence in the world this year, and as you said, thats the most important thing. If you dont believe you can win - you won't.

Best of luck tomorrow, and i hope hunkyalex gets to take soem classic pictures.

Paul

#21 ·
i agree with Jakeev and the other posters...shes had some good wins against some top 100 players so obviously she has some game, its different if Monique Viele made these assertions

Ahl is a speedy player who will make Jelena work ? without the self-belief whats the point in even playing, she shouldnt turn up! If a player goes in to a match with the fream of mind that 'resistanceisfutile' theyll get walked all over!

Lucie obviously respects Jelena and has heavily tipped Dokic to beat her, and is looking forward to playing a top player...it will be a great experience for Lucie and seeing a loss here wont affect Jelena's rank GOO LUCIE :);)

#22 ·
She is right by saying that because she plays among British
players only in Britain and ranks number two from that.
I don't know how this girl looks. I haven't seen in any tournament
bigger than tier IV. Lucic plays only in England and could she
try to challenge Dokic who is a big time tennis player.

She may be a replica of Henman-- I will win wimbledom and he
never wins.

#23 ·
There is every chance that there will be a 'shock' result in Birmingham this week in regards to Jelena Dokic.

This week will be the best opportunity for some of the players like Ahl to scalp a 'big name'

I'm not saying Jelena is going to throw a match, just don't be too surprised if she's only playing with half the commitment that she normally does.

Her mind will be on other matters.

#25 ·
Well she has a great chance of playing her but her 1st round match needs to be played first!

Should be played today if damn rain stops!:mad:

#26 ·
Jay, what matters will Jelena's mind be on? Curious. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.