I'm a Venus fan but .... - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bobbynorwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,182
                     
I'm a Venus fan but ....

I'm a Venus fan, but don't agree with the tendency of WTF moderators to close every thread that is critical of her. The purpose of this forum --- especially in GM --- is to have an engaging dialogue between opposing points of view. If you want a congratulatory monologue of your favorite, then go to the dedicated player-fan portions of WTF.

This assumes that the discussion in GM between opposing fans is constructive and courteous. If not, then shut it down.

But please don't deprive those of us who want a feisty and frank cross-fan debate. Such dialogues can either improve or enlighten. On the other hand, closing every thread that ruffles the feathers of a moderator's favorite harms the WTF (b-o-r-i-n-g and fewer posters) and certainly doesn't help the player.
bobbynorwich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,278
 
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

If this is in reference to the two threads I've closed in this forum today then here are a few things for you to consider before you open ill-informed threads like this one:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=214492

General Messages Forum posting rules. I assume you've read them?

The first one reads like this:

1. Do not start threads with the sole intention of bashing a player or a fellow poster, or provoking fights between fans.


I believe this thread that was closed today contravenes that rule:

Williams fans getting abusive...

As for the second thread I closed, perhaps you could read these ones:

what a bunch of malarki

simply chriticism of Serena williams and my threat gets closed

The second one seems strangely familiar to this one that was closed today:

threads get closed when you are critical of williams or their fans

Reposting closed threads means they will get closed again - seems a fairly straightforward course of action to me.



I do like Venus but I am far from a die hard fan. Not that it matters in the above instances as the threads were closed for contravening forum rules, not because I felt the need to deprive you of cross-fan debate.

Of course, if you're not referring to the threads I closed today then, well, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Kart is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Member
 
moby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 14,614
                     
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

This thread was very informative in that it helped me realise that WomensTennisForum has the same acronym as "What The F*ck".

I used to be skeptical about the name change from WTAworld. Now I see how apt it was.

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met./All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet - One perfect rose.
I knew the language of the floweret;/'My fragile leaves,' it said, 'his heart enclose.'
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Tennis Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,406
                     
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
If this is in reference to the two threads I've closed in this forum today then here are a few things for you to consider before you open ill-informed threads like this one:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=214492

General Messages Forum posting rules. I assume you've read them?

The first one reads like this:

1. Do not start threads with the sole intention of bashing a player or a fellow poster, or provoking fights between fans.


I believe this thread that was closed today contravenes that rule:

Williams fans getting abusive...

As for the second thread I closed, perhaps you could read these ones:

what a bunch of malarki

simply chriticism of Serena williams and my threat gets closed

The second one seems strangely familiar to this one that was closed today:

threads get closed when you are critical of williams or their fans

Reposting closed threads means they will get closed again - seems a fairly straightforward course of action to me.



I do like Venus but I am far from a die hard fan. Not that it matters in the above instances as the threads were closed for contravening forum rules, not because I felt the need to deprive you of cross-fan debate.

Of course, if you're not referring to the threads I closed today then, well, I have no idea what you're talking about.
I see NOTHING wrong with these threads, I repeat NOTHING. I think it's very wrong to have closed these, and misuse of power. If you really believe you applied the rules, then you have misunderstood and misapplied your role. You are imo misapplying the rule you quoted.
Also, it became around time someone mentioned the agressiveness and arrogance of Williams' fans as well as of one of the sisters. I agree with him completely, the bias towards Williams' on this board should indeed be explicitly mentioned, as the first step it would be the only chance to change things around here. I used to be excited about this board - sharing a passion for tennis I thought it would be nice to have contact with other tennis fans around the world, but it's williams all over the place. As if they're the best of their generation, yeah right (they lack too much technique for one thing). This board has been disgraceful towards Justine, and still is, but never were really disgraceful threads or posts deleted. Polls aren't valid for the sole reason more williams' fans vote (or jankovic' for that matter) than fans from the opponent player in the poll.
With agressiveness I mean apposing their opinions on others and the agressive way their opinion is put. Not to mentione how disgraceful serena is towards other players. And I'm also sick of serena's acting like she is injured, I agree with the post in one of the treads you quoted. She won from venus just one match before, I have seen her running in the match, no way she was hindered by an injury. O, and their matches are indeed fixed. An injured serena beats venus . Their H2H is now exactly 10-10 and serena held the #1 spot. Yeah right.

And this thread being moved to error/bugs reporting?! You clearly don't get it. Errors is about bugs to this website technique-like.
This thread belongs in GM!

Kim-career-I Nina Justine Tammy Hendler

Last edited by Tennis Ball; Apr 17th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Tennis Ball is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:50 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,278
 
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Ball View Post
I see NOTHING wrong with these threads, I repeat NOTHING. I think it's very wrong to have closed these, and misuse of power. If you really believe you applied the rules, then you have misunderstood and misapplied your role. You are imo misapplying the rule you quoted.
Also, it became around time someone mentioned the agressiveness and arrogance of Williams' fans as well as of one of the sisters. I agree with him completely, the bias towards Williams' on this board should indeed be explicitly mentioned, as the first step it would be the only chance to change things around here. I used to be excited about this board - sharing a passion for tennis -I thought it would be nice to have contact with other tennis fans around the world, but it's williams all over the place. As if they're the best of their generation, yeah right (they lack too much technique for one thing). This board has been disgraceful towards Justine, and still is, but never were really disgraceful threads or posts deleted. Polls aren't valid for the sole reason more williams's fans vote (or jankovic' for that matter) than fans from the opponent player in the poll. With agressiveness I mean apposing their opinions on others and the agressive way their opinion is put. Not to mentione how disgraceful serena is towards other players. And I'm also sick of serena's acting like she is injured, I agree with the post in one of the treads you quoted. She won from venus just one match before, I have seen her running in the match, no way she was hindered by an injury.
I'm sorry, I'm struggling to find a clear point in here.
Kart is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,839
                     
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

Tennis Ball, ever heard of paragraphs?
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
This is my fancy user title
 
~CANUCK~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,099
                     
Re: I'm a Venus fan but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Ball View Post
serena beats venus . Their H2H is now exactly 10-10 and serena held the #1 spot. Yeah right.

And this thread being moved to error/bugs reporting?! You clearly don't get it. Errors is about bugs to this website technique-like.
This thread belongs in GM!
You clearly missed the Bug/Error Reporting and Questions part of this forum title.
~CANUCK~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome