Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 35,266
                     
Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Just curious - I belong to another board that is vbulletin-powered and they have a modification called "forum spy". Basically, when you click on it, it allows a user to view posts as they appear in real-time, in a scrolling format. It eliminates the need to constantly refresh or reclick on the forum or whatever.

Is this possible to use on this site? Sorry if it's been discussed before; I could find nothing on it.

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on WTAWorld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Robertson View Post
Just curious - I belong to another board that is vbulletin-powered and they have a modification called "forum spy". Basically, when you click on it, it allows a user to view posts as they appear in real-time, in a scrolling format. It eliminates the need to constantly refresh or reclick on the forum or whatever.

Is this possible to use on this site? Sorry if it's been discussed before; I could find nothing on it.
Admin may respond, but I can tell you we had this for a short while but it was disabled because it makes the database work too hard, slowing the response down overall.
drake3781 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,279
 
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on WTAWorld?

^ What he/she said.
Kart is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on WTAWorld?

sounds cool
Slumpsova is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 35,266
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on WTAWorld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Admin may respond, but I can tell you we had this for a short while but it was disabled because it makes the database work too hard, slowing the response down overall.
OK. Thanks for the info.

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 35,266
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on WTAWorld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Admin may respond, but I can tell you we had this for a short while but it was disabled because it makes the database work too hard, slowing the response down overall.
Is this still the case? On the Vertical Sports app, there is a "Latest" button which allows you to refresh and see the posts from all the forums since the last refresh. Is this at all possible here?

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Webmaster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,354
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Can you provide an example of this to look at? We can see if it will be compatible with the forum and ask the mods how they feel about adding it.


- dm, community support

Steve is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 35,266
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Can you provide an example of this to look at? We can see if it will be compatible with the forum and ask the mods how they feel about adding it.


- dm, community support
This wasn't the board I was on, but it looked like this. All of the most recent posts, no matter what forum they were in, appeared in real time on the screen, so you never had to click around to the different forums to see if there were new posts. It also allowed you to view a much greater amount of posts (basically the last x number of messages that fit on the screen) instead of, once again, clicking around.



I do remember it wasn't foolproof, and the example above shows that "Forum spy not showing all new posts"

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 77,216
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1085784
Meelis is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Drinking Champagne/Wine
Posts: 9,032
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Do they mean that whatever we post here can show up elsewhere???? No one asked for my opinion, but I'll give it anyway In the U.S. the Las Vegas tourism promoters had a commercial out that said, "Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". And I think whatever happens in TF should stay in TF!
DollyRose is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 35,266
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?



I don't get it.

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
$uricate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under the sea.
Posts: 20,374
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Damn, I thought this was a new thread and drake3781 was back

Danielle Ma$ha SvittyGOAT Pushu PirruGinnyBooze
$uricate is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Drinking Champagne/Wine
Posts: 9,032
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate View Post
Damn, I thought this was a new thread and drake3781 was back
Part of it is new, but part of it is old!
DollyRose is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Webmaster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,354
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
This wasn't the board I was on, but it looked like this. All of the most recent posts, no matter what forum they were in, appeared in real time on the screen, so you never had to click around to the different forums to see if there were new posts. It also allowed you to view a much greater amount of posts (basically the last x number of messages that fit on the screen) instead of, once again, clicking around.



I do remember it wasn't foolproof, and the example above shows that "Forum spy not showing all new posts"

Thanks for the example. I'll show this to our techs so they can see if they can find a plug in for it and then test it out to see if it would be compatible with the forum. Also we would have to ask the Admin team here how they feel about installing this onto the forum.

Thanks

- dm

Steve is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Webmaster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,354
                     
Re: Is "Forum Spy" modification possible on TF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
This wasn't the board I was on, but it looked like this. All of the most recent posts, no matter what forum they were in, appeared in real time on the screen, so you never had to click around to the different forums to see if there were new posts. It also allowed you to view a much greater amount of posts (basically the last x number of messages that fit on the screen) instead of, once again, clicking around.



I do remember it wasn't foolproof, and the example above shows that "Forum spy not showing all new posts"
Search results like the produce the same thing in the image: http://www.tennisforum.com/search.php?do=getnew

I can get a link like this added onto the forum called " New Posts"

~ Alan, Community Support

Steve is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome