Tennis Forum banner

Workahoilc Myskina eyes top spot

2K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  gsm 
#1 ·
Workahoilc Myskina eyes top spot

December 30, 2004

SHE's had only 20 days off this year but Russian star Anastasia Myskina today pronounced herself ready to shoot for the World No.1 ranking.

Fresh from a practice session at the Hopman Cup which starts in Perth on Sunday, 23-year-old Myskina was already looking forward to a productive year ahead.

With her historic French Open victory in April, Myskina this year became Russia's first female Grand Slam winner and went on to crown a magnificent 2004 by leading her country to the Fed Cup team's title last month.

Now the world No.3 is ready to fight American Lindsay Davenport for the top spot on the international tennis rankings.

"My goal for the next year is to get to number one and if I can achieve that it will be great," Myskina said.

"I want to win more Grand Slams like the French Open but first I am looking forward to the Australian Open."

Myskina was one of a group of Russian women to steam roll through world tennis this year with Svetlana Kuznetsova winning the US Open and 17-year-old sensation Maria Sharapova claiming the Wimbledon crown.

However, Myskina expects she and her talented compatriots to be under greater pressure for wins in 2005.

"It will be harder this year for sure," Myskina said.

"We have to defend our titles. Last year nobody expected us to win but this year they know what we can do."

Myskina remained coy about her prospects about playing in the 2005 Fed Cup competition after going public last month about her feud with Sharapova and her father-coach, Uri.

"Like I said, it depends what the Captain (Shamil Tarpischev) is going to say," she said.

With Davenport injured and unable to compete at the Hopman Cup, Myskina and her partner world No.4 Marat Safin are hot favourites to take out the mixed teams event next week.

Russia plays Germany's Tommy Haas and Anna-Lena Groenefeld in their opening tie on Monday.

AAP

See less See more
#3 ·
i think that the players should be cringing at these remarks ... if myskina puts all her effort into this yr she could really take command .. unless Elena stands in her way.. hint hint

#8 ·
I really love this girl. She had 2 firsts in 04, 1'st GS and 1'st Fed Cup, and I want just one more in 05, THE #1 SPOT. Work hard, away from the spotlights and you CAN do it. We, the fans, are with you all the way, breathing through every won/lost match.
I have a strong feeling she will win either Sydney or AO. GO GIRL !!!

#11 ·
AlexSydney said:
Now the world No.3 is ready to fight American Lindsay Davenport for the top spot on the international tennis rankings.
She'll have to fight Amélie for it too though! ;) But I like Anastasia, and wish her all the best for 2005! :)

#18 ·
I am excited for Nastya...I wish her a great year in 2005. She is charismatic, beautiful and still improving as a player. I believe she will have some great victories next year...she was clutch at Fed Cup...I don't care what people say about the quality of opponent..she had to go in and perform for her team and her country...WELL DONE 'SKINA!!! :hearts: :worship:

#20 ·
and WHEN she becomes number 1 (and boy does that sound good) i can only imagine how many people will come up with all kinds of excuses why her number one ranking is invalid...just wait

#24 ·
Im sorry I really can't stand myskina! I hope she never makes it to top ranking. They say she is a nice person off court, but from past interviews all she did was bitch bout sharapova.....I cant stand her, wow number 1 russian, doesnt make her the best ever! I rather see that man mauresmo become world number 1 again rather than that snobby arrogant myskina!

#25 ·
I don't find her a nr.1 player. A nr.1 player should be more consistent than her. I don't believe she has the stuff to do it. But if she can, good for her. I hope Davenport stays nr.1 until she retires.

#26 · (Edited)
blumaroo said:
I don't find her a nr.1 player. A nr.1 player should be more consistent than her. I don't believe she has the stuff to do it. But if she can, good for her. I hope Davenport stays nr.1 until she retires.
But thats not how you become number 1 when there are 8 players pretty near to each other in ability. Myskina is one more GS playing to her ranking position and a few hundred more points away from number 1 She has 3 goes at the other GS though she would have to use some points to compensate for the French if she can't repeat that.

The beauty of this year is that Justine, Serena, Sveta and Maria are in the same position. They have big rankings gaps to fill where GS point sought to be. Playing to their ranking in GS they missed or got nowhere at would push them to number 1 too.

Thats also why Russian number 1 is so important too. Nastya is positioned two ways. Beating Lindsay shows she can get through a GS endgame on her own, but being top Russian helps too. Nastya has to stay ahead of Sveta and Maria - but if she can she will find people she can beat have taken out people she may not be able to. Sveta and Maria have their 2004 GS/YEC points for more of 2005 and Sveta particularly has prospects at Wimbledon to make points, but at some point they may have to beat Nastya to get past her to get to number 1..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.