Tati's Game - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AK-DH Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia PA(UARTS)
Posts: 4,386
                     
Question Tati's Game

Hey guys,

I'm a pretty new fan, so I don't know that much about her game. I luv her strokes and movement, but I don't know enough. Probably cause I only seen her play against Serena at Wimbledon and on that clip that was posted. What I do remember was that she is quick, very light on her feet. Is that true?

So What's her A game? Is she confortable all over the court. What does she rely on. What is her biggest weakness. Her best surface/worst. What players does she match up well with and who does she not.

I know these are alot of questions, but I really want to know. I know the answer to these questions when it comes to my other faves, but not about Tati. So please, give me a feel of what to expect the next time I see her on TV

Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Dokic
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama


Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:29 AM
country flag ZAK
Senior Member
 
ZAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mo-Town
Posts: 3,586
                     
I have a few answers. You are right she moves very well, great footwork. Her groundstrokes are basically just solid, some people say there's a lack of power, but she getting better. Her serve can be as fast 115 mph, but is pretty inconsistent. People who saw her play mixed doubles at the FO said her volleys were awful, but when she was a junior, people said she came to net a lot, so I'm not sure. She likes faster surfaces, and clay is her worst, because she finds in hard to be as agressive as she wants.

Her strengths are movement and shot-making, her weakness is making stupid UE. I'm in the process of getting a tape of her match at the US Open against Serena, because I can't find someone with the Fed Cup match against Sveta.

Tatiana Golovin, Timea Bacsinzky, Petra Kvitova, Kristina Mladenovic, Laura Robson
ZAK is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AK-DH Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia PA(UARTS)
Posts: 4,386
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAK
I have a few answers. You are right she moves very well, great footwork. Her groundstrokes are basically just solid, some people say there's a lack of power, but she getting better. Her serve can be as fast 115 mph, but is pretty inconsistent. People who saw her play mixed doubles at the FO said her volleys were awful, but when she was a junior, people said she came to net a lot, so I'm not sure. She likes faster surfaces, and clay is her worst, because she finds in hard to be as agressive as she wants.

Her strengths are movement and shot-making, her weakness is making stupid UE. I'm in the process of getting a tape of her match at the US Open against Serena, because I can't find someone with the Fed Cup match against Sveta.
Thanx for the info. So can she get overpowered easily, or can she hold her own. I think she can considering how she's played this year. Especially vs. Serena at the US Open= seems promising

I think I remember her movement so much at Wimbledon cause she reminded me of Anna Kournikova. Not to bring her to conversation, but I just remember watching the Wimbledon match vs Serena and she always looked ready for the next shot. Took small steps and very agile, light on her feet. Just really reminded of me of Anna's foot-work. Does anybody else agree?

Anyway, I hope she does come to net some, I love when youngsters use all the shotsA couple more. Does use the drop shot, mix things up. It seems that she does since u said she's a shot maker.

Where r u getting the match. R u paying for it? Or is it on the internet cause I missed that match. Actually every match, exept Wimbledon

Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Dokic
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama


Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
andrewbroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 6,960
                     
Quote:
What does she rely on.
From what I saw of Tatiana at Birmingham and Wimbledon this year, I'd say she relies most on intelligent shot-placement. She has good control, but could do with more power.


Quote:
What players does she match up well with and who does she not.
The players she tends to struggle against seem to be those who hit the ball harder than she does.

She will need to be able to hit harder without making too many unforced errors.

In the Birmingham final against Maria Sharapova (which I attended), Tatiana won the first set, then started to hit harder but with more errors, as Maria cut down on her own errors to power through 4-6 6-2 6-1.

I would love to relive that mouthwatering final day at Birmingham.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TatianaGolovin/
andrewbroad is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AK-DH Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia PA(UARTS)
Posts: 4,386
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbroad
From what I saw of Tatiana at Birmingham and Wimbledon this year, I'd say she relies most on intelligent shot-placement. She has good control, but could do with more power.



The players she tends to struggle against seem to be those who hit the ball harder than she does.

She will need to be able to hit harder without making too many unforced errors.

In the Birmingham final against Maria Sharapova (which I attended), Tatiana won the first set, then started to hit harder but with more errors, as Maria cut down on her own errors to power through 4-6 6-2 6-1.

I would love to relive that mouthwatering final day at Birmingham.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TatianaGolovin/
Okay, so she could use extra power. I'm surprised though, usually youngsters today play well against place, have trouble with players that don't like Conchita Martinez.

Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Dokic
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama


Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:02 PM
country flag ZAK
Senior Member
 
ZAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mo-Town
Posts: 3,586
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-DH Fan
Where r u getting the match. R u paying for it? Or is it on the internet cause I missed that match. Actually every match, exept Wimbledon
I'm buying it, the website andrew posted in Fed Cup thread told me that they will have Tati's match against Sveta in early next year, but since I don't want to wait that long I'm going to order either the Mixed Doubles final from Roland Garros or the US Open 3rd Round. As for dropshots, she uses them every once in a while, I know she did atleast one against Serena at Wimbledon.

Tatiana Golovin, Timea Bacsinzky, Petra Kvitova, Kristina Mladenovic, Laura Robson
ZAK is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AK-DH Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia PA(UARTS)
Posts: 4,386
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAK
I'm buying it, the website andrew posted in Fed Cup thread told me that they will have Tati's match against Sveta in early next year, but since I don't want to wait that long I'm going to order either the Mixed Doubles final from Roland Garros or the US Open 3rd Round.
okay

Quote:
As for dropshots, she uses them every once in a while, I know she did atleast one against Serena at Wimbledon.
With success? That's the most important thing

Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Dokic
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama


Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
country flag ZAK
Senior Member
 
ZAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mo-Town
Posts: 3,586
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-DH Fan
okay



With success? That's the most important thing
Well her dropshots aren't as good as say Myskina, but they are certainly better Sharapova's

Tatiana Golovin, Timea Bacsinzky, Petra Kvitova, Kristina Mladenovic, Laura Robson
ZAK is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AK-DH Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelphia PA(UARTS)
Posts: 4,386
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAK
Well her dropshots aren't as good as say Myskina, but they are certainly better Sharapova's
THANK GOD, other wise she might have problems using it

Anna Kournikova
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Dokic
Anna Chakvetadze
Tatiana Golovin
Maria Kirilenko
Ai Sugiyama


Other faves are-Hingis, Pierce, Myskina & Dementieva

|Ain't no party like a ...COCKTAIL PARTY!|D' Express_020|
AK-DH Fan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome