- View Single Post - Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2
View Single Post
post #4770 of (permalink) Old May 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM
country flag mido1988
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Against big hitters, keeping the ball deep is especially key. If she keeps the ball deep most of the time like she did against Ivanovic in Madrid & against Kvitova in New Haven, she can neutralise their power because a) they won't hit many winners from the baseline past super-speedy Simona & b) they increase their risk of errors by being forced to go for too much.

Most of these big-hitters rely on getting short balls that they can move up to in mid-court, and thus having the time to pick their spot for a winner. If Simona can jam them up consistently behind the baseline as she did so effectively in those 2 matches, Simona has the time to build her points and choose her moment to attack. Just the way I see it. I'm no expert either.
The serve also is a golden key .. If Simona serves well very few players can beat her

BTW, I have watched that Lisicki match a couple of times & I thought Simona played really well throughout the match. The first set didn't seem too good at the time, but watching it again she actually played very well, it was just Lisicki played great. OK, that match wasn't Simona's most stellar tennis but it was quite aggressive and very controlled I thought. One of her 6 or 7 best performances of the year I think (the Top 3 were all in Doha )
I totally agree , I even think that lisicki played away better than Kvitova ,, I don't think Kvity did something amazing ( She was an error machine ) .. Simona really played well most of that match except giving the 1st set to Lisicki in the decisive time ( as usual )

Simna Halep
.... keep believing
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome