Dominika Cibulkova says GOOD BYE to TOP 15 for the rest of 2009 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,215
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
Anyone from top 20 would take advantage of Cibulkova's draw in RG
Really now?
Yet Nadia Petrova, the same player people are defending in this thread was the player that choked when she pretty much had Cibulkova's draw.
Nadia choked against Maria.
Cibulkova crushed Maria.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 29,643
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
Really now?
Yet Nadia Petrova, the same player people are defending in this thread was the player that choked when she pretty much had Cibulkova's draw.
Nadia choked against Maria.
Cibulkova crushed Maria.
Maria crushed herself. Cibulkova couldn't even crush a fly if she wanted to, Maria played 39834983893893 times better vs Petrova.
Agape is offline  
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
V-I-K-A
 
Temperenka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -
Posts: 11,078
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

There is no denying that Maria played the best match of her comeback against Nadia at Roland Garros. She played arguably her worst against Dominika. So, I'm not buying that argument that Domi is better than Nadia through Maria.
Temperenka is offline  
 
post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,215
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutiana View Post
Maria crushed herself. Cibulkova couldn't even crush a fly if she wanted to, Maria played 39834983893893 times better vs Petrova.
It's called a counter-puncher.
The fact is Maria had trouble getting the ball past Cibulkova just as Szavay did.
She let them implode by keeping the ball in play and hitting with enough depth to not let either control the majority of the rallies.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
allrounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,477
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidisova28 View Post
There is no denying that Maria played the best match of her comeback against Nadia at Roland Garros. She played arguably her worst against Dominika. So, I'm not buying that argument that Domi is better than Nadia through Maria.
Added to that Maria was absolutely shattered by the time the QF came around after having got through 4 really tight 3 set matches in a row before she faced Domi and on the back of very little match practice pre-RG. I agree though Masha played brilliant in the first set in particular against Nadia - its the closest she's looked to her old self since she came back.

AZARENKA * JANKOVIC * VESNINA * LISICKI * ROBSON * VAIDISOVA

~The Official Anger Management Counsellor of Vikaland~
allrounder is offline  
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,215
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidisova28 View Post
There is no denying that Maria played the best match of her comeback against Nadia at Roland Garros. She played arguably her worst against Dominika. So, I'm not buying that argument that Domi is better than Nadia through Maria.
Maria will always have a good matchup against Nadia.
Nadia moves slower than Maria if not worse when it comes to defense and her follow thru on her forehand is tough to deal with against Maria's flatter forehand.

Cibulkova has flatter and more compact shots.
She thrives on pace. Maria only had one gear at the French and Cibulkova ate it up as Dulko did at Wimbledon.
One thing Dulko did against Maria is mix it up and go for a more compact flatter forehand unless she had a chance to really follow thru.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you really look at these players shots and matchups before commenting.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Freakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: here & now
Posts: 10,489
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

During past 12 months Domi has beaten all the players that are the main contenders for the 10th place: Petrova, Bartoli and Ivanovic. She's actually 5:1 against them in that period. Don't see any reason why anyone should make a big deal out of her being inside Top 10 as she belongs there as during past year she certainly wasn't much worse than the other 3 players.

Ivanovic Cibulkova Ula Radwańska Groth Pennetta

Welcome Back:
Dokic Karatancheva
Freakan is offline  
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
V-I-K-A
 
Temperenka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -
Posts: 11,078
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

It doesn't matter too much. The gap between 9 and 10 is huge and as Ivanovic finds form, she will find herself back in the Top 10 easily. She is 48292 levels above Domi, Marion, and Nadia when she is playing well.
Temperenka is offline  
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 691
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Sorry, but when Domi is playing on 100% she can beat everyone. When you saw Hopman cup she fought against Safina and Domi won. It was exciting match Ana better than Domi? No way...They are on the same. Ana is 2 years older and before 2 years she was there, where is almost Domi now and Ana is not in the best form now while Domi is playing at her best
Cora is offline  
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
V-I-K-A
 
Temperenka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: -
Posts: 11,078
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

No way can you say Peak Domi = Peak Ana.

ANA HAS A SLAM!! And has made 2 other grand slam finals. She has beaten all the top players, won Indian wells, I could go on and on.

And you say they are even because Domi beat DINARA in the HOPMAN CUP??!?

You're CRAZY to think they are even. Absolutely off your rocker.
Temperenka is offline  
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
HAND SCRAPED
 
-Sonic-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 7,155
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Grand Slams
2009-05-25 Roland Garros 900 SF
2009-01-19 Australian Open 280 4TH
2008-08-25 U.S. Open180 3RD
2009-06-22 The Championships 160 3RD

Premier Mandatory Tournaments
2009-03-23 Sony Ericsson Open 803 RD
2009-03-09 BNP Paribas Open 5 2ND
2009-05-11 Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open 0 -

Premier 5 Tournaments
2009-02-16 Dubai 110 3RD

Best of Other Countable Tounaments
2008-07-28 Rogers Cup 600 F
2008-10-06 Kremlin Cup 220 QF
2008-09-22 China Open 140 QF
2008-07-14 Bank of the West Classic 140 QF
2009-04-13 Charleston, South Carolina 120 QF
2008-09-15 Toray Pan Pacific Open 120 2ND
2008-08-11 The Olympics 96 3RD
2009-04-06 Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 70 QF

Solid if very un-stellar. A lot of her good (non RG) results are from 2008.

I guess thats what you get when you give so much weighting to the slams?

Last edited by -Sonic-; Jul 8th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
-Sonic- is offline  
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
adner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,595
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakan View Post
During past 12 months Domi has beaten all the players that are the main contenders for the 10th place: Petrova, Bartoli and Ivanovic. She's actually 5:1 against them in that period. Don't see any reason why anyone should make a big deal out of her being inside Top 10 as she belongs there as during past year she certainly wasn't much worse than the other 3 players.
Radwanska who has nothing to defend until US Open? And she's 1-0 last year(3-0 career) against Cibulkova, with the match including a nice bagel
adner is offline  
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Natash.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,591
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
It's called a counter-puncher.
The fact is Maria had trouble getting the ball past Cibulkova just as Szavay did.
She let them implode by keeping the ball in play and hitting with enough depth to not let either control the majority of the rallies.
Agreed. And for a counter puncher, Dominika hits the ball pretty well. She does not have overwhelming power but she can step it up and dictate when she can. Down 5-1/5-2, she crushed Jankovic in Montreal. From what I read in reports, she dictated against Dementieva in Montreal.
Natash. is offline  
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

Cibulkova will be the weakest top-tenner in ages. Probably since Habsudova.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Andiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Piatra Neamț
Posts: 45,601
                     
Re: Dominika Cibulkova TOP 10 PROJECT | 3 wins away!

at most people here.

Why would somebody "not deserve" a top 10 spot anyway? Domi fought hard for it and has the results, so well done to her. Can't wait to see the moment that she's actually gonna make it
Andiyan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome