Capriati is just having a good week..... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 183
                     
Capriati is just having a good week.....

Look she averages one title a year, so that means once a year she has a good week. She beat Mauresmo and Davenport back to back before last year's USO and she did nothing else all year before and after that. So even if she wins this title, it means nothing, because it'll be her one title a year that she averages. I don't want to be hearing all of this crap that Jennifer Capriati is having another comeback. It's not happening, it happened a few years ago and it's not happening again. She is not winning the FO, she might make the QF or SF, but she's not winning it. She's not the player she was in 2001 and 2002 and never will be again. However, it makes sense for her if she does win this title because it's in Italy and she's of Italian decent.
TheSeth1119 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM
In my new place!!
 
Mase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Old VA
Posts: 23,113
                     

Come back EVENTUALLY Cappy!! Ok this clearly was written back in a day when I still had faith..


Mase is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 1,865
                     
It's always nice to see someone posting nice positive messages here.

Mirjana Lucic : Australian Open doubles champ and back in Top 100

Jelena Jankovic : US Open finalist 2008 and World No. 1

Jennifer Capriati : 3 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1

[center]Rafael Nadal : 10 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1 [/center]
mn73 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 83
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeth1119
Look she averages one title a year, so that means once a year she has a good week. She beat Mauresmo and Davenport back to back before last year's USO and she did nothing else all year before and after that. So even if she wins this title, it means nothing, because it'll be her one title a year that she averages. I don't want to be hearing all of this crap that Jennifer Capriati is having another comeback. It's not happening, it happened a few years ago and it's not happening again. She is not winning the FO, she might make the QF or SF, but she's not winning it. She's not the player she was in 2001 and 2002 and never will be again. However, it makes sense for her if she does win this title because it's in Italy and she's of Italian decent.

That is true.. she's not my fav but I hope she wins the title.
cornhuskers2004 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 20
                     
[QUOTEI don't want to be hearing all of this crap that Jennifer Capriati is having another comeback. It's not happening, it happened a few years ago and it's not happening again. She is not winning the FO, she might make the QF or SF, but she's not winning it. She's not the player she was in 2001 and 2002 and never will be again. However, it makes sense for her if she does win this title because it's in Italy and she's of Italian decent.[/QUOTE]

Seth, So you don't want to be hearing all of this crap but it seems that is the only stuff coming out of your mouth. I mean it seems you think you are telepathic. Also, it seems right that she wins in Rome because of her Italian decent, get a grip!
Anyway, if she averages 1 title per year, so what...If it is a Grandslam then who cares.
bodystorm is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 209
                     
She is having another comeback and I think the match today just proved it again....even though she lost.....next up.....the French Open, hmmm which she HAS won before!!!!

Last edited by capriatifan78; May 16th, 2004 at 04:17 PM. Reason: wavey
capriatifan78 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
RedFilaJ-Cap#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,439
                     
She is having another comeback you wait and see!! Oh yeah you are an ass!@!!

Jelena Jankovic #1 and the BOMB DOT COM


Co Founder of the JJ Crew!!!:
:

Proud to be one of Jen's Hell's Angels!!!:
RedFilaJ-Cap#1 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 05:36 PM
YOU'RE WELCOME!
 
Snuffkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Florida with my baguette
Posts: 6,880
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeth1119
However, it makes sense for her if she does win this title because it's in Italy and she's of Italian decent.
You see, my issue with your post is not that it contains drivel, but rather, I can't get beyond your error. Italian DESCENT! So, really, once you fall down on that, the rest of what you say is irrelevant. You already proved your point of being dumb, so why compound it by posting shit?


I've never been to Cuba
Snuffkin is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
JennyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A galaxy far far Away
Posts: 2,960
                     
I think it's interesting that you complain that if Jen only wins one title a year it's a bad one and yet you said she's not the same player she was in 2002, a year she won only one title. Heck, even in Jen's BEST year (2001) she won "only" three titles. In most years she won 1 or 2.
JennyS is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UsOpen trophy n Jens hand
Posts: 735
                     
you are talking crap JEN CAN AND WILL WIN THE FRENCH OPEN.
GO JEN
*Emily*
englishjenfan is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 183
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishjenfan
you are talking crap JEN CAN AND WILL WIN THE FRENCH OPEN.
GO JEN
*Emily*
The odds of Jennifer Capriati winning the FO are the same odds of Martina Hingis and Monica Seles playing at the FO in 2004!
TheSeth1119 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Senior Member
 
bigshow21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,414
                     
Jen has just as much a chance as any other player to win the FO. And when she does WIN it, you will feel so stupid. Go Jen!!!

Jennifer Capriati!!!!


Proud to be one of Jen's Hell's Angels!
bigshow21 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
 
HectorMagnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Prague
Posts: 7,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeth1119
The odds of Jennifer Capriati winning the FO are the same odds of Martina Hingis and Monica Seles playing at the FO in 2004!


lobotomy efect, huh?
HectorMagnus is online now  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
JennyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A galaxy far far Away
Posts: 2,960
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeth1119
The odds of Jennifer Capriati winning the FO are the same odds of Martina Hingis and Monica Seles playing at the FO in 2004!
This statment is mathmatically impossible. The odds of Martina and Monica playing are ZERO. Any player in the draw has at least a teeny tiny chance to win. Even Martina N. has a least a 1 in a hundred trillion chance to win. And one in one hundred trillion is still a greater chance than 0.

Also, let's look at the contenders..

1. Justine- should be the fave, but has missed a lot of time
2. Amelie-Has had great results in warmup events but hasn't won a major yet and feels a lot of pressure playing in her home Grand Slam
3. Serena-won two years ago but was just beaten by Jen. So I guess she can't win, right?
4. Venus. Hasn't won a major in a couple years. Hasn't won more than a title or two in a year since 2002. Hasn't beaten Serena since 2001. Started the year off poorly, but is having a great claycourt season. Sound familliar? In fact, Jen's had similar statistics over the past couple years. Since their results are so similar than Venus doesn't have a shot either, right?
5. Linsday. Has never won this tournament and skipped Berlin and Rome. She should contend for the title though.
6. Anastasia-Has never done well at RG, nor has she ever won a major. Was creamed by Jen in Berlin and lost early at Rome, so she can NOT be a contender, right?
7. Nadia Petrova. Beat Jen here in the 4th round last year. She is hot and cold though so it's hard to predict. She will have a lot of pressure to defend her SF points from last year.
8. Elena D- The last time she made a slam semi was 2000
9. Svetlana K-has been hot this year but is still unproven in majors
10. Vera Z-quarterfinalist last year and potential darkhorse
11. Ai? She's older than Jen. She's won fewer titles than Jen.
12. Chanda-she's been out for a while, has never won a major and is older than Jen

And now Jen:
A former champ of Roland Garros and has made the semis on two other occasions. Has a new coach and has gotten over an injury. Slow start to the season but great performances in Berlin and Rome. Has won a major more recently than Venus or Linsday.

Jen will be seeded between 5 and 7. That means that she should be favored to do better than 120-122 players (nobody can be favored to do better than 128 players). This would mean that by your theory, 120-122 players would have a LESSER chance of winning RG than Martina H and Monica would have of playing RG!

It would be one thing if Jen had a crappy record on clay. But she doesn't. If you said Andy Roddick doesn't have much of a chance, than I might agree. Since there are more surface specialists in the mens game, you can't always apply math to figure out the favorites.

Also, the odds really don't mean squat. Anyone who plays has a chance to win. The top players could all do really well, or some or all of them could lose early. The odds are that the top players will at least make the 4th round, but that doesn't mean they will. If someone had said that Jennifer Capriati would win the 2001 Australian Open the day before the tournament, someone would have said, "Yeah right. She has about the same chances of winning the tournament as Chris Evert and Steffi Graf have of playing it" (again mathematically impossible).

And Jen wound up winning that event if I remember correctly.

Last edited by JennyS; May 17th, 2004 at 05:41 PM.
JennyS is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 183
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
This statment is mathmatically impossible. The odds of Martina and Monica playing are ZERO. Any player in the draw has at least a teeny tiny chance to win. Even Martina N. has a least a 1 in a hundred trillion chance to win. And one in one hundred trillion is still a greater chance than 0.

Also, let's look at the contenders..

1. Justine- should be the fave, but has missed a lot of time
2. Amelie-Has had great results in warmup events but hasn't won a major yet and feels a lot of pressure playing in her home Grand Slam
3. Serena-won two years ago but was just beaten by Jen. So I guess she can't win, right?
4. Venus. Hasn't won a major in a couple years. Hasn't won more than a title or two in a year since 2002. Hasn't beaten Serena since 2001. Started the year off poorly, but is having a great claycourt season. Sound familliar? In fact, Jen's had similar statistics over the past couple years. Since their results are so similar than Venus doesn't have a shot either, right?
5. Linsday. Has never won this tournament and skipped Berlin and Rome. She should contend for the title though.
6. Anastasia-Has never done well at RG, nor has she ever won a major. Was creamed by Jen in Berlin and lost early at Rome, so she can NOT be a contender, right?
7. Nadia Petrova. Beat Jen here in the 4th round last year. She is hot and cold though so it's hard to predict. She will have a lot of pressure to defend her SF points from last year.
8. Elena D- The last time she made a slam semi was 2000
9. Svetlana K-has been hot this year but is still unproven in majors
10. Vera Z-quarterfinalist last year and potential darkhorse
11. Ai? She's older than Jen. She's won fewer titles than Jen.
12. Chanda-she's been out for a while, has never won a major and is older than Jen

And now Jen:
A former champ of Roland Garros and has made the semis on two other occasions. Has a new coach and has gotten over an injury. Slow start to the season but great performances in Berlin and Rome. Has won a major more recently than Venus or Linsday.

Jen will be seeded between 5 and 7. That means that she should be favored to do better than 120-122 players (nobody can be favored to do better than 128 players). This would mean that by your theory, 120-122 players would have a LESSER chance of winning RG than Martina H and Monica would have of playing RG!

It would be one thing if Jen had a crappy record on clay. But she doesn't. If you said Andy Roddick doesn't have much of a chance, than I might agree. Since there are more surface specialists in the mens game, you can't always apply math to figure out the favorites.

Also, the odds really don't mean squat. Anyone who plays has a chance to win. The top players could all do really well, or some or all of them could lose early. The odds are that the top players will at least make the 4th round, but that doesn't mean they will. If someone had said that Jennifer Capriati would win the 2001 Australian Open the day before the tournament, someone would have said, "Yeah right. She has about the same chances of winning the tournament as Chris Evert and Steffi Graf have of playing it" (again mathematically impossible).

And Jen wound up winning that event if I remember correctly.
Ok let's leave it at this, Jeniifer Capriati does have a 1/128 chance of winning it, but she's not going to win it. She's a good player, but will not imo make it pas tthe QF or SF.
TheSeth1119 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome