I luv tennis sisters!
They're from Brno, the 2nd biggest Czech city located in Czech Moravia (SE Czech Rep.), just like Lucie Safarova!
Gabriela is 19 (born Feb 10, 1995), while Magdalena is 15 (born Jan 28, 1999).
reached a CHR of 40 as a junior.
She had her breakthrough year on the WTA in 2013: she ended 2012 at #1113 and 2013 at #676
. It all happened during the fall: at the end of September she was still out of Top 1100, and by the 1st week of December she had broken Top 700.
During this time, she made SF at 10K Solin (lost to Krejcikova by W/O) and final in doubles; QF in 10K Dubrovnik (lost to Benamar in 3 sets) and final again in doubles; QF in 10K Dubrovnik again (lost to Rebersak in 3 sets) and SF in doubles; SF in 10K Umag (lost to Bukta in 3 sets); final in 10K Bol (lost to Mikulcic in straights); SF in 10K Bol again (lost to Krejcikova in straights).
This year, she hasn't played much. Only 4 tournaments so far. She started competing again just at the beginning of April...
So far, she's made:
- R2 at 10K Sibenik in April (lost to (5)Tomova 3 & 2 in R2).
- lost in qualies at 100K Prague in May - received a QWC and fell in Q1 to the top seed Duval 4-6 6-4 0-6 - not a bad effort!
- QF at 10K Banja Luka in June
(she was seed 7 and lost 6-7(5) 5-7 to Dean in QF)
- SF at 10K Prokuplje last week
(she was seed 3 and lost 6-7(3) 2-6 to E. Ianchuk, the eventual winner)
Slowly stepping up with more match play.
Though she has only played 4 tournaments, she's reached a new CHR of 621 this week!
This week, she's playing in 10K Prokuplje again.
She's seed 4 this time, will face Geukens in R1. GL!
Let's see how she will finish the year if she keeps stepping up while she plays more.
As for Magdalena
She's played 3 G16s so far this year, won one (in hometown Brno
), made a SF (in Czech Rep) and a QF (in Italy). Not bad.
She's also tried qualifying at 3 10Ks events, but always failed to qualify.
- in 10K Sibenik, she lost in final Q round to Knutson in straights;
- in 10K Prokuplje last week, she was given a QWC, double-bagelled her first 2 opponents but lost again in final Q round to Basic in straights;
- in 10K Prokuplje this week, she double-breadsticked her Q1 opponent, double-bagelled her Q2 opponent, but lost in final Q round (once again!
) to Barzo in straights.
She showed that she can win some matches easily in qualies, and she's not that far from qualifying in 10Ks (always had strong opponents in final Q rounds).
She's still very young, she has a lot of time to improve!
Hopefully bot sisters will boost each other.
They also play dubs together regularly. Pojd girls!