Tennis Forum banner

I think the ump did it on purpose!

761 views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  vettipooh 
#1 ·
Okay I was not at home while the match was going on; I was watching the scoreboard and listening to Radio Wimbledon. I saw the difference in the two scores but I didn't think anything of it. Then I read about it and just got home and had a chance to watch the match.

Now I swear that the umpire did this on purpose. I am not one to believe in draw-rigging or whatever, but as soon as he announced 2-2 the cameras went to him and he had a smirk on his face. I think both Venus and Karoline realized the mistake when he called 3-2; the cameras went to him again, and I SWEAR he slightly smiled and nodded in Karolina's direction.

I am stunned by this!

#5 ·
He did smile and it was too Karolina...that´s why to me Karolina was more aware of the mistake that she lets out.

#9 ·
LindsayRulez said:
Okay I was not at home while the match was going on; I was watching the scoreboard and listening to Radio Wimbledon. I saw the difference in the two scores but I didn't think anything of it. Then I read about it and just got home and had a chance to watch the match.

Now I swear that the umpire did this on purpose. I am not one to believe in draw-rigging or whatever, but as soon as he announced 2-2 the cameras went to him and he had a smirk on his face. I think both Venus and Karoline realized the mistake when he called 3-2; the cameras went to him again, and I SWEAR he slightly smiled and nodded in Karolina's direction.

I am stunned by this!
You saw all this on the radio? :eek:

#14 ·
stacyh5 said:
Brits always smirk when they screw up.... which is often.
But if he knew he screwed up, then why didn't he just fix it??

I'm not saying another bad about Venus or Karolina (I actually like both of them a lot), but this is just so bizarre and I have a really bad feeling about it.

#15 ·
lol. some people. it was an honest mistake.
the umpire didnt hear the fault call, nor did the audience. the audience clapped when klina hit the ball which was meant to be the winner. and thus the umpire called 2-2.

:lol: at thinking it was deliberate in any way at all.

#17 ·
LindsayRulez said:

I am stunned by this!
Are you serious, you think he did it on purpose. I hate to argue with other posters, especially with another Lindsay Davenport fan, but come on. He didn't do it on purpose. Karolina really did play awsome. Even if Venus was in perfect form, it would have been difficult for her. Just think of it as karma. In the first set Karolina got screwed on a point that was called out and what the cameras showed to be good. Now we all want Venus to be successful, but lets not make up excuses when she doesn't succeed. I've spent way to much of my life making excuses for Anna K., and I must tell you it gets you nowhere.

#18 ·
Emerald said:
You've now overtaken the thread starter as the most stupid person in the thread. Well done!!
The stupidest person in the world? Well it's nice to meet you too.

Like I said, I am not about crazy theories having to do with draw-rigging or purposeful misconduct, but having just watched the match makes me think something is fishy. Why the hell would the ump keep smiling?

#19 ·
LindsayRulez said:
But if he knew he screwed up, then why didn't he just fix it??

I'm not saying another bad about Venus or Karolina (I actually like both of them a lot), but this is just so bizarre and I have a really bad feeling about it.
He wasn't sure how he screwed up, but he knew he did somehow. Thats why he couldn't correct his mistake --- He didn't know what he did wrong.

#21 ·
shannonannafan said:
Are you serious, you think he did it on purpose. I hate to argue with other posters, especially with another Lindsay Davenport fan, but come on. He didn't do it on purpose. Karolina really did play awsome. Even if Venus was in perfect form, it would have been difficult for her. Just think of it as karma. In the first set Karolina got screwed on a point that was called out and what the cameras showed to be good. Now we all want Venus to be successful, but lets not make up excuses when she doesn't succeed. I've spent way to much of my life making excuses for Anna K., and I must tell you it gets you nowhere.
Okay, I don't like to argue either (especially with Lindsay fans!) but I am not saying this to make excuses for Venus, believe me. Obviously I wanted Venus to lose so Lindsay wouldn't have to face her (I always felt that Venus has some invulnerability at Wimbledon) if they both got that far. I also am a huge fan of Sprem, so the truth is I'm really happy Karolina won. But when a mistake of this magnitude takes place, what do you do?

#23 ·
LindsayRulez said:
Okay, I don't like to argue either (especially with Lindsay fans!) but I am not saying this to make excuses for Venus, believe me. Obviously I wanted Venus to lose so Lindsay wouldn't have to face her (I always felt that Venus has some invulnerability at Wimbledon) if they both got that far. I also am a huge fan of Sprem, so the truth is I'm really happy Karolina won. But when a mistake of this magnitude takes place, what do you do?
:haha: :tape: :lol:

You're getting a rep point for that!!!

#24 ·
Emerald said:
Don't worry I said 'thread' not 'world'.

I remember the bit you mean and it was not like he was sitting there smiling, winking at Sprem and giving her the secret signal --> he just smirked probably because Sprem was looking at him with a puzzled look on her face.
Okay, that is definitely a possibility.

#25 ·
These mistakes never happen....and boom they happen just in a Venus match. Will you believe it?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.