D.O.B
June 10 1985

Height
5'11'' (1.81 m)

Weight
163 lbs (74 kg.)

See less See more
#3,919 ·
"Right now I haven't played that much, so it's nice to play, it doesn't matter which tournament. Maybe I play some (ITF) 25s too in the summer, but I will see, I don't know."

Her caution is understandable. The 30-year-old Estonian has long been injury prone; she even admitted her body "is not built for being consistent and doing this physical activity." That's a troubling comment from a person who relies on her body for her livelihood, yet even more troubling have been her recent struggles with illness.

Kanepi was diagnosed with Epstein Barr virus in July 2015, and after beginning that season ranked 50th now languishes outside the world's top 200. She has managed just four tournament appearances in 2016.

"It happened in January (2015), I think in Australia. But they diagnosed it in July. So for half a year I felt really bad, tired. But everything, blood tests was OK, nobody knows what it is, but then some test results showed the virus," she explained. "I tried (to play through) because they said it was the last part and it should get better. But it really didn't go, and I still catch the different cold, viruses, stomach viruses during that time too ... If I would have known, I would have stopped for sure.

"Again it happened in Australia (in 2016), I got the stomach virus and then I thought: well I have had like five times different viruses in one year, I should take a break, otherwise it keeps going and I get stressful in my head and being afraid to catch viruses."

Thankfully for Kanepi, she felt she played her best match of the season on Tuesday - both fitness wise and health wise. It was a relief, given her frail frame betrayed her yet again very recently; she went to Strasbourg a few days ago for the WTA tournament there but hurt her back.

"I was not really hopeful coming here. But it got better and today I didn't feel anything," she said. "I don't feel 100 per cent right now (with the virus) but it's improving, that's good. It takes time. I heard one year. or one-and-a-half year, maybe nobody recovers at all. So you never know with this virus. I just have to look after my health and then we'll see.

"Just taking one match at a time. Of course it would be nice to qualify and go further but I don't think about winning matches. I think more about staying healthy."
Chasing former glories: Hantuchova, Kanepi on road back

Kaia will play tomorrow vs Cepede Royg.

#3,932 ·
Would getting to Wimbledon mean it's her last slam as her ranking drops lower and lower? Any chance for USO?
US Open has a bigger QD, so she will make the cut for sure. She didn't play anything last year between Wimbledon (where she lost in R1) and New Haven, so her ranking will not change much in the coming months. Unless she has good results of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.