Serena, Amelie out of Doha
Serena, Amelie Out of Doha
DOHA, Qatar - Serena Williams and Amelie Mauresmo have announced their withdrawals from next week's $600,000 Qatar Total Open.
Williams has not played a competitive match since winning Wimbledon last July, underdoing surgery on August 1 to repair a partial tear in her left knee quadriceps. However, the former world No.1 will not make her trip to the Middle East due to 'flu.
"I'm really disappointed that I won't be playing in Doha," said Williams. "I've been battling the flu for the last several days, and am not quite 100% well yet.
"The good news is that my knee is feeling great, and I feel I'm back in championship form. I'm anxious to resume playing and look forward to getting back on the courts and seeing my fans."
Mauresmo is still suffering from the back muscle injury that forced her withdrawal from the Australian Open quarterfinals last month.
"As disappointed as I am, it saddens me to have to postpone my return to competition for yet another week," said Mauresmo.
"Even though my coach and I are slowly getting back to the level where we want to be, I will not be ready to participate in Doha."
Williams's next scheduled event is the NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami (starting March 24) while Mauresmo's is the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells (March 10).