Tennis Forum banner

Maria Kirilenko gave up a career as a ballerina to try to become a tennis player!

1K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  the cat 
#1 · (Edited)
And it's a move that is paying off big time for Maria. :D Because she just floats and glides around the tennis court I've wondered if Masha ever had any ballet training in the past. She is like a Bolshoi ballerina in tennis sneakers! :) :cool: ;) And an AP article about Makiri's match against Serena Williams also talks about her ballet background as well as the match. The article is located at http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040528/APS/405280628

P.S. - There is also a picture of Maria accompanying the article. But it's not Maria Kirilenko. I guess that's a mistake that's easy to make. ;)

#2 ·
i thought you had to be a certain height for that dancing?.....she looks quite dainty:)...although she seems to have grown from the us open last year

DOUCHEVINAS better:)

#6 ·
The link works now. I had to make a change. But they actually had a picture of Maria Sharapova next to the article thinking it was Maria Kirilenko. :rolleyes: But now there is a picture of Marat Safin pulling his tennis shorts back up after he briefly dropped them! :eek:

Jack, you do need a certain height to be a ballerina. And Maria is listed at 5'8" tall by the WTA Tour. Although most people think she is in the 5'7" range.

#7 ·
the cat...i seen maria playing amelie at the us open....she looked so tiny then...but quite talented..i am surprised that she has not been mentioned at all on the board:)...up to now

#9 ·
i never understand that...why cheer for a player who is winning..whats the point:)

#10 ·
Lina, you could have gone without getting in that dig at Maria Sharapova.

Jack, I think part of the fun of being a tennis fan is seeing players like Maria Kirilenko and Maria Sharapova from the beginning of their careers and watch them develope into good tennis players and good people. :D

#11 ·
"She is like a Bolshoi ballerina in tennis sneakers!"

i knew there was a reason I adore her :)

#12 ·
Originally Posted by the cat
Jack, I think part of the fun of being a tennis fan is seeing players like Maria Kirilenko and Maria Sharapova from the beginning of their careers and watch them develope into good tennis players and good people.
i agree to an extent.....but the majority of fans dont do that

#13 ·
Hi Lakeway! :wavey: I gather you like the ballet. :)

Jack, being a fan doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. And i think WTA World proves that.

#14 ·
I was soooo impressed by Makiri yesterday! OMG, thx god I recorded that match! I'm so happy for her, even though she lost. She showed some Hingis-like guts out there on the court.

#15 ·
Well said Leonhart. In addition to showing guts and fighting spirit, Maria showed a nice all court game and a natural feel for the game of tennis. :)

#16 ·
I think you might have to be below a certain height to be a ballerina... But yes, she made the right choice!! I really enjoyed watching her play! :)

#17 ·
Thans for the link cat! I didn't know she'd given up being a ballerina.

Reactions: VivalaSeles
#18 ·
You're welcome Sonja. I didn't know Maria had given up on becomeing a ballerina. But I did think because of the beautiful ways she moves on the tennis court that at some point Masha might have had a ballet or gymnasitcs background. It turns out she had a ballet background and it shows in the way way she just glides around the tennis court. :)

Reactions: VivalaSeles
#19 ·
it also helps shes quite good looking....because very few people like cheering for ugly players:)

#21 ·
It's all about the tennis, Jack. :) ;) Maria Kirilenko plays fine all court tennis with a penchant for charging the net. And that's what is most attractive about her game. Masha being attractive is secondary to her tennis.

#22 ·
- L i n a - said:
Makiri hasn't been mentioned, because the majority of her results have been pretty awful.

Tennis was the right choice.

Keep improving, and beat the less talented Maria.
:haha:

that's a compliment though. calling Maria talented, regardless how much.:angel:

i didn't read the article. i'm too lazy. but is her nick really Makiri, or just made up in here?

#23 ·
lol yeah...its all about tennis:)...good one

#24 ·
Jack, it really is about the tennis. :) ;) And I find Maria Kirilenko's tennis to be the most attractive tennis I've seen from a WTA player this year! :D

What's so funny, Serial? Lina getting a dig in at Big Masha saying Little Masha is more talented? And I annointed the nickname Makiri to Maria last year in Russian Roulette and others have picked up on it.

#25 ·
lol im joking:)

#26 ·
the cat said:
Jack, it really is about the tennis. :) ;) And I find Maria Kirilenko's tennis to be the most attractive tennis I've seen from a WTA player this year! :D

What's so funny, Serial? Lina getting a dig in at Big Masha saying Little Masha is more talented? And I annointed the nickname Makiri to Maria last year in Russian Roulette and others have picked up on it.
Nice nickname for Maria.

I don't like big Masha. And I'm laughing not really because of the dig at her, but because of the way Lina phrased it.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.