TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2
View Single Post
post #2993 of (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Well, maybe that's what Tracy was thinking at the time, but it's not what she was saying, for whatever reason. For the record, at 1988 Brighton, Pam Shriver stated: "But I don't think Graf's dominance will last. Once we've become a little more familiar with her pace, things will get more balanced." At best, it's another case of Pam's hopeful bravado. At worst, it's failure to understand Steffi Graf did not turn tennis into a hitting contest; she turned it into a running contest.

Dana Hills coach calls it quits - Art Jenkins guided the Dolphins to two CIF championship titles
The Orange County Register
Sunday, October 30, 1988
Janis Carr

[...]

Even at 13, Steffi Graf didn't fear any of the top-ranking players.

Tracy Austin recalled recently she played the West German in 1982. Austin, then 19, was ranked No. 2. Graf was playing her first pro match.

"She came out hitting every ball about 400 mph and I said, 'Who is this kid?' " Austin said.

"I was ranked No. 2 and she was not bothered by that at all. She played like I was her next-door neighbor." Still, Austin won.

Austin will team with John Lloyd in a mixed doubles exhibition at The Forum on Nov. 27 as part of the Michelin Tennis Challenge Series.

Austin and Lloyd will take on Pete Sampras and Stephanie Rehe at 6 p.m. Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert will play in the featured match at 8 p.m.

Tickets are available at all Ticketmaster locations and The Forum box office.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome