Tennis Forum banner

2013 US Open – Out of Top 10

37K views 469 replies 35 participants last post by  mac47 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, have been working really really hard at home in Prostejov!

Good morning from Carlsbad! Having my favourite breakfast, yummy fruit

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Petra is surfing really really hard with killer whales in Carlsbad

Usain is going to lose with Petra? :lol: :haha: Great opening post, Paul! ;) :worship:

#4 ·

Robson
Morita
Bye
Kvitova
I thought so. :cool:

At least I don't have to be mad about the US coverage of the tournament in fist part of a week when she's not playing until Wednesday. :rolleyes: :lol: :tape:

#5 ·

she has okay draw... i hope sbhe won't fail agaist robson in R2 :help:

she should make to the SF and meet radwanska... i wish her best of luck.. she looks fit, happy, i well rested..

#8 ·

Spellman girls are playing doubles together.

(1)Groenefeld/Peschke v Dekmeijere/Savchuk
(wc)Kvitova/Paszek v Chan/Husarova
The only bad thing about it is that we won't be able to see it thanks to idiotic american broadcast. :facepalm: :mad: :banghead:

P.S.: Great to see that Petra can team up with different girl but I'm not sure if midget Pascek will be better, thought. :rolleyes:

#10 ·

I am changing a few things here and there with my fitness and diet and happy to report that I am feeling much better
http://petrakvitova.net/hello-from-carlsbad/

WTA Live All Access Hour Tune in at 12pm PT (3pm ET) to go behind the scenes from the Premier event and see WTA stars Victoria Azarenka, Agnieszka Radwanska, Petra Kvitova, Roberta Vinci and more.

#11 ·
Re: Petra and Tamira have fun in Carlsbad

did anyone watch all access hour from carlsbad, petra was just there, she looks so amazing :hearts: :worship:
fit, happy, she was little coughing, probably just some alergy or ashtma problem.. i hope she will be fine and play some great tennis :bounce::bounce:

#12 ·
Re: Petra and Tamira have fun in Carlsbad

did anyone watch all access hour from carlsbad, petra was just there, she looks so amazing :hearts: :worship:
fit, happy, she was little coughing, probably just some alergy or ashtma problem.. i hope she will be fine and play some great tennis :bounce::bounce:
Indeed, she looks great! :worship: And I haven't seen any coughing. :rolleyes: ;)

#17 ·
Re: Petra finally won ... Omni La Costa Resort card

Petra's comments about the draw

looks like there is no hope for her:sigh:
Aga is tough for her? :eek: Where is that Petra who was saying that she likes how slow she plays? :rolleyes: :(

Plus, Vinci is in the other part of the draw so most likely they won't even meet each other. :facepalm:

#19 ·
Re: Petra finally won ... Omni La Costa Resort card in Carlsbad

Carlsbad R1: Laura Robson d. Ayumi Morita 4-6, 7-5, 6-2

Morita was serving for the match 6-4 5-4 30-0
So, Robson stole her the match because of her choke I guess. :confused: :rolleyes:

Hope that Petra will be serving well, if so, she will beat Robson in two! :bounce: :) But because it is the 1st match of the tournament, any kind of win would be good. :cool:

#21 ·
Re: Petra is playing hipster Vampire Laura in Carlsbad

i hope that she will get revenge for aussie open loss :armed:ž

will match be on stream? :help::confused:

:hysteric:
First televised matches starts on Thursday. :( :fiery:

Anyway, interesting thread title from Paul. :worship: :lol: Why 'hipster Vampire Laura'? :confused: :haha:

#24 ·
Re: Petra beat Laura thanks to her serve and chocolate free diet

Congratulations/very good Petra! :yeah:

Now keep it up [please]! :sad:

Nothing else to say (was this Petra's long dormant competitive spirits, resurfacing against Robson, or the inconsistent Brit just sucking)? :shrug:

Good Luck!

#27 ·

Congratulations/very good Petra! :yeah:

Now keep it up [please]! :sad:

Nothing else to say (was this Petra's long dormant competitive spirits, resurfacing against Robson, or the inconsistent Brit just sucking)? :shrug:

Good Luck!
I think that both, Ex. ;) Petra crushed her 6-1 6-2 because of Laura's poor serving and UE but thanks to her (Petra's) serving and game she would beat her either way (at least in two sets). :) :cool:

well done petra, 11 aces, and only 2 DF :worship: :bounce:

keep the great form and crash them all

next please
Yes! :worship: :) :lol:

#26 ·

Petra served 11 aces to 2 DF's, won 67% of her first, and 52% of her second serve. Petra served 63% overall, and saved 4/5 BP's.

Don't know how Robson was serving, but Petra still only completed 5/11 BP's.

Nonetheless, I hope this is some type of good start on the North American portion--leading toward the US Open, and Petra's rest of the season??

It all starts with the serve.

#29 ·

When was the last time Petra won with such ease? Dubai?
First round of Dubai against Dani. :)

She could win the 2nd round of AO if she played like today, though. :rolleyes: :(

#30 ·

Petra

I felt pretty good out there today,I didn’t know exactly what to expect from myself because the first match after preparation for the US hard courts is always difficult, plus I lost against her at the Australian Open. I didn’t have nice memories of that match, but this is tennis and every day is different and that’s how I approached the match. I played well and my serve was great today, for sure it helped me a lot on the important points.

#31 · (Edited)

Petra
I felt pretty good out there today,I didn’t know exactly what to expect from myself because the first match after preparation for the US hard courts is always difficult, plus I lost against her at the Australian Open. I didn’t have nice memories of that match, but this is tennis and every day is different and that’s how I approached the match. I played well and my serve was great today, for sure it helped me a lot on the important points.
Also saw an additional line to that quote elsewhere
We practiced very hard on my serve back home after Wimbledon.
http://m.skysports.com/article/tennis//8849445

It looks as though she's now got the double fault situation mostly under control (it has been going in the right direction in the last few tournaments). Would be great if she could get towards this amount of aces on a semi-regular basis. Funnily enough, though the match with Robson in Australia was a mess, with a horrific amount of DFs from Petra, she also had many many aces in that one too. So maybe the opponent is a factor. We'll see.

I know that post Wimbledon a few people on here commented on how her serve had lost pace when compared to her best years. I had a look at the numbers over the last few Wimbledon tournaments and you can definitely see this trend

Serving speeds in KPH and data from tennisinsight.com (I blame them if any of this is wrong! :) )

Caveats: I know it's quite a crude comparison to just look at one tournament, that some speed guns are prob more accurate than others, that good serving isn't all about speed etc - but I think it's at least indicative.

Just a couple of final thoughts:

I doubt any of us much like the idea of her playing all these tournaments back to back, but I do think Carlsbad is a (relatively) good place for her to be. Though it's hot, it doesn't really have the intense humidity of Cincy, New Haven and 1st week US Open. Is also a rather relaxed environment, unlike Cincy and the US Open.

Lastly, I liked this sentence from her blog post from the other day
I’m looking forward to the US Open Series over all. I had a good run last year and managed to win two titles and the Emirates series. I know I’m defending some points, but that’s tennis and if I’m defending points then it means that I did something good last year.
http://petrakvitova.net/hello-from-carlsbad/

Of course, saying things and believing/doing them are 2 different things, but recently I'm at least getting the impression that they understand the problems (with dealing with the pressure, her fitness, serve etc).

#34 ·
Re: Petra is getting ready with her new fitness coach in Carlsbad

Interesting that Petra will be playing Virginie and not Carla.

However, I read somewhere that only 2 QFs are on TV?

If so, I bet Petra vs Virginie won't be one of them :(
Exactly what I think. :facepalm: :mad: :fiery: :armed:

#36 ·
#39 ·
Re: Petra is playing Giant killer Virginie in Carlsbad

Anyone have a sense of how well Petra has to do the rest of the season to play in the Tour Championships?
Well, it's tough to say. It highly depends on how well or badly will the players around her play. :rolleyes: ;)

But the facts are that she has almost no points from Premier 5 events, same with Premier Mandatory events (only one remains) and also can get some points from Premiers and last Grand Slam (she can get many points there, so it is crucial for her to get at least to the QF there :rolleyes:). :scratch:

There you can find the points and explanation how the system works. :)

#46 ·
Re: Petra was grilled again this time by Virginie in Carlsbad

petra :facepalm:

i can't with her any more :sobbing:

she saved so many match points, fought back, serving for match and 7-5, and the lost :help: :sobbing:

and the way she lost 2nd set is also :facepalm: being up 40-15 and serving to stay in set and for TB, and then lost set :facepalm:

sadly i think that after that loss she will lose a lot of confidence :sad: i was hoping to see match with aga, and maybe win that match to bring her back on track.. she hasn't play any top 10 player since errani in fed cup, where she won that shitfest :sobbing: she need big matches againt top player to bring her back on track, like serena match did in doha :worship:

well, onto kanada, she is there defending champion, lord help us :help:

#49 ·

Petra's ability to shoot herself in both feet is deeply deeply impressive. I'd like to see some stats on how many times this year she has broken her opponent only to be broken straight back, failed to take break points and then been broken, failed to serve out a set. Maybe as a fan you start to believe such things are happening more regularly than they actually are, but it sure seems to have been a fairly regular occurrence this year.

If there's an ultra small crumb of comfort to be taken from this one then I guess it's that (in a long match in warm conditions) she didn't completely wilt physically. And without wishing to rationalise this defeat, I would doubt she would be in great shape for playing another match tomorrow anyway.

As regards the end of season championship, I'm not too bothered about whether she makes it or not. My expectations are quite low. I'd really just like to see some improvement in her level of play and movement/fitness between now and the end of the season so that she has a little positive momentum to take into the off season. Then she possibly has another big decision to make + a lot of hard work to do.

#50 ·

I think i should retire as a tennisfan, im so done with my tennis life. :sobbing:

FFS, i dont understand stand these players these days. If you are not mentally prepared why embarass yourself in a long battle or just play like shit instead of recharging your battery and get with the program. I mean my fave player is Serena but i too at times dont understand her either. So shit, im glad i havent watch tennis since wimbledon God knows this black chick aint got time for this hotmessness of her faves. Both men and women, i mean JESUS! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.