Sorana -- Road to the USO 2013!

19K views 471 replies 25 participants last post by  Belle de Jour 
#1 ·
Sorana's back! Here's her Stanford section:

[5]Cirstea v Morita
Q/LL v Niculescu
Goerges v Govortsova
[2]Stosur v BYE

Sorana has a bit of a tricky draw. She's not going to be happy facing Ayumi first round-- she's 2:3 against her, and 1-all on hardcourt. If she gets past Ayumi, she has to face Monica, who she has a losing h2h against.

Still, good luck to her! She has nothing to defend until Cincinnati, but it would be nice to pick up points going into the USO!

#38 ·
If this wasn't vandeweghe standing on the other side of the net, Sorana would have enjoyed a bakery product here.

I don't know what Monica was doing yesterday - not playing tennis, that's for sure.

Vandeweghe is making an elephant's movement look gracious.

#51 ·
Epitome of winning ugly that was. One of those matches that could easily be used as torture.

Sorana's baseline game was completely off and she still only dropped 6 games which tells us a lot about Coco and even more about Monica's current form. I can't even recall a single constructed rally of hers or of either player won in this match. First strike and first error tennis of the finest.

Thus said, Sorana can be extremely happy that she had Homerundeweghe standing on the other side of the net. Needs to improve against Govortsova, but she surely can't play worse.

#54 ·
That was actually a pretty good win against a hometown girl who was playing with confidence and can play a big game. I'll trust Curcubeau's match analysis since I didn't see it, but maybe first strike tennis against a player like Coco was a good strategy. (I'm giving Sori the benefit of of the doubt here). When comfortable, Coco will feast on soft hitters ala Niculescu. It seems like Sori never let her get comfortable.

Good luck against Govortsova. Another very winnable match, although she looked pretty good against Stosur.

#61 ·
I haven't seen her playing like she did tonight in a very long time! Semifinalist again in Stanford :yeah:

She really likes it here apparently :)

And the good news after this victory is that, after 15 years Romania will have 2 seeded players in a grand slam. Last time that happened was in 1998 Australian Open when Spirlea was seeded 6 and Dragomir was seeded 15.

Go girls!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.