Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana Konjuh

488K views 5K replies 103 participants last post by  Meelis 
#1 ·
Born 27.12.1997
Ok guys I followed this girls developement for quite a few months now.
Last month she won the European Junior Championships, Pilzen for girls under 14.

Other success she had this year:
Winner of G16 Junior Croatia Open, Cakovec
Winner of G14 Mladost Grill Open, Zagreb
Winner of G16 Kvarner Open, Rijeka
Also reaching a G16 final in AvignonFR and a couple of SFs.

This year she has a win-loss record of 48-7 currently. With those 4 titles.
She seems to be highly talented, there´s a lot of potential, hope she´s not going to fade away and go her way.

http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113738/ana-konjuh-vodeca-u-europi
http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113113/ana-konjuh-europska-prvakinja

People might say it´s too early for a thread but after twinning the European Championchips I though she would deserve a own thread.

See less See more
#4,681 ·
Now go and have some great time off Ana, you've definately deserved it. The ranking will be around 250 :)worship: again) which is on the low end of what the team aimed at, at the start of the year, and I'm sure that if it weren't for the health issues it would've been even better. But that's not important now. She's had a really nice year all things considered and the whole team can be proud of what they've done. I'm sure proud of them :)

#4,688 ·
I just saw an older article in which Ana talks about her philosophy: "I play tennis for myself and have never found anything to be difficult. Including practice sessions at 6 AM before school and two again in the afternoon. My coach taught me that I'll have ups and downs on my way and that I have to find a way to deal with it. When the ball won't listen I have to stay calm and find a way to change my game."

Simple, right? :lol:

#4,704 ·
Ana is #252 in the latest rankings (new c-h, of course) with officially 9 tournaments played - not sure why they count only 9 though, cause she did play 10 :confused:

The only ones with a better ranking and the same or lesser number of events played on the whole WTA are Gajdosova and Kleybanova, numbers 232 and 185 respectively, both with 7 tournaments played this year. Even if we count 10 events for Ana, there are just two more girls ranked better than her and with the same number of tournaments played - Amanmuradova at #206 and Siegemund at #234.

The smallest number of events played by anyone in the top 100 is 14. Let's see if Ana can do it with 12 next year ;)

#4,716 ·
Seems you're right, Donna used 4, for a total of 16 and after I checked the rules again it looks like 4 is the maximum a player can use between birthdays, regardless of where they originate from (junior rankings/junior slam finals/pro ranking). That seems to be the only logical explanation. And if you think of it, it makes sense. Otherwise top juniors would play 20 or more tournaments a year and the whole age eligability rule wouldn't be of much use to prevent burnout.

#4,717 ·
I am pretty sure it works like this: Ana because of her Slam Finals gets 2 extra tournaments. Because she gets the 2 extra, she only gets 2 merited increases bringing her tournament total to 16. Donna, because she did not have any from Juniors, got 4 Merited Increases, bringing her total to 1 as well. The only advantage of the Junior ones is that you can use them outside of PMs/GSs :) That's how I've interpreted it anyway :)

#4,728 ·
This is the first time Ana is taking "a step back" since she started on the pro tour. It all began with four 10k's, moved on to one 15k, then went on to play three 25k's, after which four 50k's and one 75k came - and now it's a 25k. They're probably only after points here, or maybe they want her to have some more competitive matches before the next season starts. Anyway, looking forward to it, looks like Ana could be seeded :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.