Molik out of Wimbledon
By Chris Lines
June 15, 2005
ALICIA Molik has made the "heartbreaking" decision ovenight to withdraw from Wimbledon due to a slower than hoped for recovery from a virus that affects her inner ear.
The South Australian was due to play in the tournament in Eastbourne before making a late decision to pull out.
"I tried in Birmingham and I tried here, and that's very much in my nature, but I can't compete at a level that is satisfactory," she said.
"It was a long shot, and the doctors were right and I was wrong.
"I tried my best to get myself ready, there is nothing more that I could have done, and there is relief in a way that I tried."
It was a cruel blow for Molik, who trained fanatically since the virus struck in April in an effort to get herself ready for Wimbledon.
"It's heartbreaking," Molik said.
"It's an event that I never would have dreamed of missing and here I am now, I'm going to miss it.
"Maybe I will be able to sit back on the couch with Mum and Dad and watch it.
"I never thought I would be watching it on the couch again."
Having suffered this disappointment, Molik was not prepared to put a timeframe on when she returns to tour other than noting this illness was one that normally lingered for about six months.
The virus is known as vestibular neuronitis and affects the middle and inner ear.
It affects balance and saps energy and can also affect vision - all symptoms that Molik noted today.
It first struck in April when she withdrew from Charleston, she subsequently missed clay court tournaments in Berlin, Rome and the French Open.
Molik played in Birmingham last week, receiving a bye to the second round where she lost to American Laura Granville.
GO SOPHIE FERGUSON! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!