Tennis Forum banner

The match in which the winner lost the fewest points?

8K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Fyndh0rnElf 
#1 ·
It's easy to find the most lopsided matches but when it comes to looking at the number of points the winner lost, it's hard to find the stats. Even the set that saw the fewest points.
I remember the match Hingis won over Monica in 0 and 0 and Monica was struggling winning even one point per game.
I know it's difficult as we can't find appropriate stats for every match in the past..

#3 ·
Maybe Foretz vs Loeffler-Caro?

Reactions: Daniel
#11 ·
Serena Williams defeated Yvette Basting 6-1, 6-0 at the 2000 Wimbledon in 32 minutes, with the second set lasting just 11 minutes in total, dropping only 3 points in the second set bagel, which was and is the fastest Set played in the Open Era of tennis. Miss Basting never recovered from that spanking.

#13 ·
laj said:
Serena Williams defeated Yvette Basting 6-1, 6-0 at the 2000 Wimbledon in 32 minutes, with the second set lasting just 11 minutes in total, dropping only 3 points in the second set bagel, which was and is the fastest Set played in the Open Era of tennis. Miss Basting never recovered from that spanking.

Man, that was SOME spanking! 11 minutes for a set?! DANG!

#15 ·
Rollo said:
Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman d. Huiskamp 6-0 6-0 in the semis at Washington State in 1910. She lost no points at all-winning 48 straight ! :eek:
Rollo,

I read somewhere that NO ONE has ever won a "Golden Match" which by definition is a match where you have not conceded a point to your opponent. I read where only one guy named Dolan (or some name like that) had come close to such a feat by winning a "Golden Set". Evidently the info I read must have been wrong then.

Anyone care to clarify?

#16 ·
calabar said:
Rollo,

I read somewhere that NO ONE has ever won a "Golden Match" which by definition is a match where you have not conceded a point to your opponent. I read where only one guy named Dolan (or some name like that) had come close to such a feat by winning a "Golden Set". Evidently the info I read must have been wrong then.

Anyone care to clarify?
I heard the same thing. I think one guy lost just 1 point in a set but the golden set was never achieved. But maybe, those stats are just for the Open Era.

#19 ·
suzanne lenglen OFTEN won matches where she didn't lose a single point (according to bud-- so i have to assume this happened at least once). i also remember that when we had a thread about the least unforced errors, someone had an article about suzanne that mentioned her perfect matches.

#22 ·
I won a set against my mom, losing just two points, both in the opening game....but I don't think that counts...

#24 ·
In addition to the Hotchkiss match, in the 1943 Tri-State Championship Final, Pauline Betz d. C.Wolf 6-0 6-0 without losing a point.

On the men's side, at Sutton on April 9, 1946, J.E.Harper(Aus) d. J.Sandiford(GB) 6-0 6-0 in 18 minutes (!!), losing just a single point. It was Harper's 32nd birthday. (Maybe he was in a hurry to get to his party.)

In the Open era, there has been a golden set, by Bill Scanlon, in '83 or '84.

I would point out that in the pre-Open era, especially before, say, 1950, a lot of these "tournaments" were merely glorified exhibitions, whereby a club invited a "name" player to play, and filled the draw with club stiffs. This allowed the star to stroll through the tournament without much effort, thus leaving them with enough energy to play doubles and mixed as well (which they were often asked to do in return for their "expense money"). Also, the lack of challenging players in the field meant that the star attraction (and ticket seller) would be guaranteed to reach the final, and be more likely to return in the future. (As opposed to if they were made to work hard to win.)

It would be much like if your nearest tennis club invited a top 10 player to come and compete against the members. You could see plenty of Golden Sets, if the pro was in the mood to do so.

#25 ·
Lenglen won about 6 tournaments 6-0 6-0, but she never won a golden
set. Her opponents were always able to get at least a few points.

Betz's acheivement in 1943 was pretty impressive IMO. Wolf was a decent player-good enough to make the main draw at the US Open.

Graf came very close to a golden set vs. Zina Garrison in 1989. She was only a couple of points away in a Washington semifinal.

#26 ·
Lindsay took they first set from Krasnoroutskaya this summer 6-0, and dropped only 6 points. In New Haven, she took the first 6-0 against Serna, and only dropped 8 points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.