Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

419K views 5K replies 83 participants last post by  James 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think it's good that she got a tough draw! If she wants to get back to the top and win big titles again, she has to learn how to beat top players!
But I agree with Protoss about Caro playing doubles. I think that could only help her game! There is many players ( Aga, Vika, Petra, Sam...) who have played quite a lot of doubles before they got to the very top!

#5 ·
I think Caroline has to get her singles game sorted out. Doubles is played differently. She dropped off in singles form and needs to do better at holding serve and playing big points. This goes back to her last match vs Petrova, where Caroline couldnt hold serve and lost almost every big point in the match

#7 ·
Even volleying in doubles is different than singles. There are really good volleyers who dont rush the net in singles, because in singles, the key is when to approach & what shot to hit as you come in. You dont just hit it back and come in. That gives your opponent a big advantage.

Anyway, if she improves in singles, she wont want to spend all afternoon waiting around for her doubles match, and if she cant improve her singles, I dont think doubles will help

#8 ·
Hello folks:wavey:!This could just be a case where Caro's smile causes illogical,infectious optimism,but I think she'll be more solid than she was in 2012.Am still not confident enough to predict a lengthy stay in the top 5;however,we'll see some easily visible improvement,IMO

Off-topic: Just saw Chrissie Fan's banner:hearts:--am not jealous of Rory,but will be available for Caro Consolation Service in case her bf loses his mind and looks for some inevitably-inferior replacement for our Sunshine:angel:

#9 ·
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.

#10 ·
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.
I wonder also. If this form drop off is because they both decided to change her forehand technique when she was #1 by 3000 points, a young superstar, then it was a crazy, dangerous decision. She might never recover from it.
But it might be she cant focus and produce good tennis anymore.
We dont know exactly why she isnt the player she used to be, but its almost 2 full years since she was in a final above a Tier 2. This is a Tier 1 with a Tier 1 field, so it will tell a lot, same with AO

#11 ·
Hi everybody ! ;)

Love Caroline`s smart game and amazing backhand. Let`s hope she finishes 2013 in Top 5 :rocker2:

Reactions: Chrissie-fan
#18 ·
Challenging draw for Caro. :( Based on the draw she should make it to the quarters.

It's strange that Caro's 2013 season is technically beginning in 2012 but it is a bit exciting that she's playing again. :)

Good luck in Brisbane and in 2013 Caro!!! :)

#19 ·
don't even know what to say, able to watch the tie break, from what i saw at the tie break, same old caro, same old story, nothing change.

the entire off season was wasted, she didn't improve her serve, she didn't improve her forehand, she didn't try to cut down her UEs.

caro can play some good point from time to time in a match, but that's not enough, she is not gonna win a SINGLE match if she keep on play like this.

i know i shouldn't say this, but what is the point of pulling the match to a tie break but you can only win a point in tie break when facing someone outside the top 100?

credit to pervak, she play some great tennis, but as a top 10 player, caro should be able to handle players like her. pervak kinda remind me of goerges, their hitting motion are similar, if caro hit the ball earlier, she can avoid pervak bossing her around.

don't know what else i can say, this is the last day of 2012, hopefully caro can do better starting from tomorrow.

#22 · (Edited)
I find the randomness of Caro's play kind of baffling. Is it a focus thing? A confidence thing? Or what?

I don't think Goerges and Pervak are at all alike. Goerges is an agggressive player with big weapons in her 1st serve and forehand. Pervak is more a defender with modest/limited power.

It's one thing if Caro is getting bossed around by players like Goerges or Kvitova but another if it's by a relative lightweight like Pervak. It shouldn't be happening and it's a bad sign.

#23 ·
Huh. Pervak had sixty-one unforced errors and still won? Maybe Petkovic had more in Miami in 2011 but it is very hard to believe that Caroline lost when her opponent had that many unforced errors.

Not a great start to the season but it is still extremely early. She definitely needs to play much better in Sydney. If not she could have an early exit in Melbourne and she is defending quarter-final points there. An early loss could send her back out of the top ten.

Reactions: Chrissie-fan
#27 ·
I haven't seen the match so i can't really comment, but from what I am reading she's been over powered by Ksenia, which is honestly a very worrying sign...
I was watching some highlights of her win in Las Vegas many years ago already and the comments on her tennis (as she was unseeded there so kind of a surprise) were: "how amazing is to see a girl with great physical shape, good movements and such a big power". She was hitting very strong with BH and the FH was good, sometimes flat and most of the time top spin, but very deep. She hit even a couple of FH inside-out winners there...I wonder where that all has gone? surely one can't forget how to play, can one?
I still believe that the racket change was a terrible decision...

#39 ·
Caro used to be a lot more aggressive very early on in her career but I guess she changed from that to get a more immediate boost in results. As her defensive game style became her pattern it probably became pretty ingrained and offenseive skills likely were very neglected.

I disliked the racquet change from Babolat to Yonex after the 2010 season as I thought it made little sense to switch racquets after playing the best tennis of your career to date. The racquet change didn't seem to be much of an issue, at least early on, (after switching back to Babolat strings after Sydney) and the strong results/play continued on from the previous year. I think that Caro's shots sit up more and don't have as much pace as they did when she used a Babolat racquet.

I think it would a good idea for Caro to evaluate different racquets and strings to find what's the best combination for her now. I had hoped that would happen in this offseason but that didn't seem to happen.

#28 ·
I didnt see the match, but I'm not surprised.
This sport is mental, and whatever happened in the months after the loss at Wimbledon to Cibulkova ( could be a technique change, burnout, meeting Rory, etc..) whatever happened, she doesnt play a smart, steady game anymore. She doesnt play well at key moments, doesnt hold her serve.
Unless she can mentally step up, this will be her tennis, just like Jankovic, Ivanovic.
So get used to it. It could be she is trying as hard as she can, but the mentally tough aspect of her game is gone.
Pervak is a very typical 1st round opponent, a noncontender for a big title. Thats what Caro is also.

#30 ·
I didnt see the match, but I'm not surprised.
This sport is mental
I am surprised, but the joke's on me.

Yes, mental.

From a very early age, Piotr drilled into her 'It's only a tennis match', when she lost in her junior days. It has given her a grounded, good perspective on life and what's important.

But one cannot help but wonder, if it's also made her complacent and not affected enough by losses? .. There's always next week, next tournament.

Her sunny disposition appears more of a hindrance than a strength for her tennis career - at least at this moment.

#31 ·
Caro never played Vika in 2012, this is why. She cant get thru a Tier I draw anymore. Losing her 1st match at a Premier 5 has become the most likely result for Caroline. More likely than a deep run.
Obviously, they are aware her results have dropped, so this match is an ominous sign, to maybe Caro's final year of tennis, and then off to watch Rory play golf the next 30 years

I cant imagine she stays on the tour like Jankovic, a shell of a former #1, who everyone wants in their quarter nowadays.
With Rory becoming an alltime great, the comparisons will become embarrassing for Caroline if this is her play from now on.

#32 ·
I'm not even that upset about this loss! I'm more upset that she seems didn't learn or don't want to learn from her last season loses! The same shaky forehand that breaks down during her matche, serve- what is that serve, I don't think her serve has improved with the new stance, her serve is worse than 1-2 years ago! It's great that they work on her fitness so much, but what about tehnical aspects of her game!? She can't run down every fricking ball, she needs to play more agressive and with more variety if she wants go far in tournaments and win titles again!

#33 ·
2012 all over again, folks. Or possibly even worse. No improvements on the service or the forehand, which wouldn't be a disaster if she at least played better 2010-2011 type of Caro tennis. But this is no longer the case. And still a problem of keeping up the momentum after winning a first set. When you lose a match against someone who makes 60 plus UE you know you have a problem. Seems like we're in for another year of suffering.

#34 ·
This is all up to Caroline. If she throws her career away without ever having a full time coach...
Look, famous & wealthy, she doesnt need tennis. Thats the way she plays, like its a hobby she messes around with.

That she lets her dad yell at her, instead of having a tactical coach, that tells she's not serious enough about her career

Łukasz Iwanek@lukasziwanek
Piotr Wozniacki: She doesn't think, she is only waiting, and you playng for her balls through the centre court. Can't you see it Caro?

Łukasz Iwanek@lukasziwanek
Piotr Wozniacki: How you can can't play with backhand?... You can't stand on the court like clown! #epic

#35 ·
I'm very disappointed. I had hoped for a good start to get her 2013 campaign under way. With all due respect, but Pervak isn't exactly the best player in the world. She's decent, but not someone who's supposed to beat Caro. Ursula Radwanska is better, but one would expect Caroline to get past her as well, albeit after a competitive match. But although I'm disappointed, I can't really say that I'm as surprised as I would have been in better days.

#36 ·
I was surprised. I thought maybe Vika would pound Caro, like Nadia did in Bulgaria, but if she cant beat Pervak when she's up a set... this year is a potential disaster.
The big event the 1st part of the year is the AO. Caro seems like a total noncontender now.
But she'd better give it her absolute best try, because she already lost round 1 at the last 2 majors

#37 ·
I had hoped for a relatively comfortable win against Pervak, and a competitive two or at worst three set win against the blonde Radwanska followed by a clear loss against Vika, although not a beatdown - something 3-6/3-6-ish. With such results I would have been reasonably happy at this point.....Come on Caroline! You have to come up with something better than this in Sydney! :sobbing:

BTW - all my best wishes for 2013 to our girl and her loved ones, and to my fellow Caro fans here.

#42 ·
Out in Brisbane R1 to Pervak. Disaster start of year :facepalm:

Pervak is nothing special. Really bad loss. Caroline is so much better than Pervak. Must have played horrible. Caroline has never been the same since French Open 2011 where she got killed Hantuchova in R3. Total decline since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.