TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Is Caroline Wozniacki able to be on top again ?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:13 PM
country flag ozza

Re: Is Caroline Wozniacki able to be on top again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
The way she is playing now she will be on the limits of the top 10, moving slightly up and down. I don't think she will ever get into the top 5 again, she lacks the variety and the weapons to cross that line, also the rest of the girls have learned how vulnerable she can be. That big mental edge that she had a couple of years ago just isn't there anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
Radwanska was a set away from #1 last year.

And I know I'm in the minority but I could see Woz back in the top 3 someday
I think it's too easy to just say right now Caroline won't ever be top 5 again. What is quite clear is Caro has taken a massive downwards dip in form since 2010-2011. If she's to get back up towards the top in the rankings she is going to have to improve, but that appears to be her problem, her level has now plateaued for months playing lower end top 10 level tennis. It's pretty worrying when you are 22 years old and your game appears to have declined since 2 years ago.

The biggest facet of her game that has declined is her consistency from the back of the court. She used to be very reliable from the back of the court, now she simply offers up too many inexplicable errors/short balls for her style of game. Unclesilas makes a good point about her mental edge being gone, it use to be players would implode vs her at crucial stages in matches, now it's often the opposite way around and she is the player that often breaks down at crucial stages. Her confidence in the big matches also seems to be totally shot. Look at the Radwanska matchup, 2 years ago it was Radwanska who seemed to lack all self belief in the matchup, now there has been a complete turnaround and it's Caroline who seems to lack the belief she can win.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome