Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoCo's Cloud Nine!

298K views 5K replies 152 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I have seen only a few pics of Coco and a short description that her game was powerful I'd love to know a bit more abut her and I hope some people who have watched her could give me a detailed report?
But I also want to use it as her cheering Thread as shes this week into the quarters of a G1 with a 6-0 6-1 over Stacey Tan who once won a senior title :eek:
Now she play Zaruhi Harutyuntyan from Armenia i think it's doable.

#6 ·
Re: Coco Vandeweghe - Getting to know?

Coco's dad's name is Kiki. No joke. On Wikipedia it mentions that her dad was a former NBA star and his dad too.
Kiki Vandeweghe is Coco's uncle, not her Dad. Here's some info from another article that spiceboy posted this year:

Coco's old genes look good
By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 20, 2007

Coco Vandeweghe, 15, has withdrawn from La Costa Canyon High and has begun home schooling in Palm Springs in order that she can be coached by Jose Higueras, a noted tennis instructor.

“She was just dying to do it,” said Coco's mother, Tauna Vandeweghe of Rancho Santa Fe, who is married to Michael O'Shea but retains the name Vandeweghe.

As her mother noted, Coco is not a typical 15-year-old. She is 6-feet-1 , weighs 150 and has the genes of a champion if not, just yet, the complete game of a champion. Within a year, her mother said if things go well for Coco in her association with Higueras, she should be able to play with anybody.
“Her only weakness is inexperience,” said her mother.

Certainly, she has the genes to excel. Consider:

"+ Her grandfather is Ernie Vandeweghe, a onetime stalwart of the New York Knicks.

+ Her mother, who is just a shade under 6-feet-3, swam competitively at UCLA. At 20, she began playing volleyball at USC and was a member of the U.S. women's volleyball team at the Montreal Olympics in 1984.

+ Vandeweghe's mother was “Miss America” in 1952. Her name was Colleen Kay Hutchins. She was the sister of 6-foot-6 Mel Hutchins, a basketball star at BYU who was the second player named (by the Tri-Cities Blackhawks) in the NBA's 1951 draft. Mel Hutchins would play seven years in the NBA with three teams.

+ Coco's uncle is Kiki Vandeweghe, a former UCLA basketball star who has served as the general manager of the Denver Nuggets and currently is a television commentator on NBA matters.

#7 ·

she got a WC to San Diego last year but lost to kateryna bondarenko

#19 ·

I'm not at the tourney in Houston. I live in New York and Coco lives with her mother in CA so I don't get a chance to see many tournaments. My ex-wife does do an excellent job managing Coco's budding career. It's a full time proposition!

#23 ·

Coco lost to Helena Besovic again; that was a tough opponent for the first round. :(

Not sure if Coco's playing anywhere next week, but she's high on the qualy-alt. list for the Allentown 25K the week after. Allentown is not too far from where I live, so I'm thinking of trying to get up there for a day maybe. I hope she'll get in.

#25 ·

How did you come accross wtaworld?

#27 ·

I talked to Coco and she is playing Southlake! She told me to update her thread too :lol:

#29 ·

I talked to Nancy caro over email once through er website, jamea jackson thorugh myspace once and i talk to a lot of usta girls that are well known online....i cant tell you all of my secrets janie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.