Tennis Forum banner

Road to the Premiers in Indian Wells and Miami: Expectations?

13K views 146 replies 74 participants last post by  Gentleman 
#1 ·
The openings of the season and Asia tournaments are now over and it is time to take some conclusions from what we've seen in first two months of 2013:

- Victoria Azarenka winning AO and defeating Serena in Doha
- Serena's not so expected season start
- Breakthrough moment of Sloane Stephens at AO (#16 at the moment)
- Petra Kvitova's comeback in Dubai

Now Premiers in Indian Wells and Miami are next. What do you expect to happen in USA in march? What would surprise you and who do you think will have the chance to take the glory during these two imporatnt tournaments?

- Do you expect Azarenka(Indian Wells) and Serena(Miami) to be sure bets?
- Is Sharapova's form enigma after AO or she has what it takes to outshine Serena and Vika in America?
- How do you rate chances of 4-7 players: Radwanska, Li, Kerber and Errani?
- Kvitova finally amazed us with her victory in Dubai but can she handle the american heat?
- Bartoli comes with Mauresmo, can she go deep like she did few times in the past?
- Previous winners Ivanovic and Wozniacki always play their best tennis in California. Expectations?
- Do you expect some young USA player to go deep and beat some of the favourites in front of home crowd?

... your bets for the semifinals spots are?

Best of luck in America to all WTA players! :wavey:

See less See more
Reactions: Igor_Biscan
#9 ·
I.W: Li vs Kvitova Final

And Serena will win Miami.

:oh:

#13 ·
Do you think that Kvitova can handle with the heat in IW? I would love her to go deep but can she do that?

#15 ·
I expect the favourites will do well in both tournaments, hopefully Petra can continue with her good run of form, and hopefully some of the American talents offer good quality, because so many have bright futures.

Fingers crossed the above happens :)

#16 ·
Heat in Indian Wells? I believe that in terms of temperature and humidity, it is close to perfect. If not for the wind, I think it would be. It is Miami that gets hot and muggy. Kvitty will probably do worse at Miami than IW.

#19 ·
I always begin with the health of players (both young & old, no one is immune to injuries), when it comes down to these kinda predictions ...if they all stay healthy (a few bruises here & there) but in tip top shape, I expect winners to come from the top 5 minus Radwanska, add Li Na, Petra, Wozniacki as an outside shot.

...IW in particular is known for unexpected mass retirements, W/Ds, & virus out breaks, hope nothing happens this year. Weather's always a factor in both events - IW & Miami (the heat is unbearable).

#20 · (Edited)
There are a number of players with points to prove.

Azarenka will be desperate to continue her dominance over the rest and retain her Indian Wells title.

Sharapova it's tough to know where she is at. She looked great in beating lower ranked players in AO, but she has been routined the first contender she played in both tournaments she's played. She has big points to defend at the events, but I'm not sure that will really bother her. More important will be posing some big wins for 2013.

Li started the season great. However Li has played great in Australia in the past and not kept it up for the season. It's yet to be seen if this has changed under Rodriguez. She is also coming off an injury, I don't know how much she has been able to practice (I guess her fans could tell me though?). If she's playing well, she is a threat to everyone, but it's hard to know how she will turn out with a number of question marks.

Kvitova bandwagon is back. She hasn't yet played the major contenders though, she also has a terrible record in Indian Wells and Miami. Her asthma supposedly flares up bad in these places, I would say she is very much an outsider to win either event.

Least of all Serena, she is going to have a point to prove. She has gained the #1 but I doubt is too happy with her start to the season. She will be wanting to show everyone who is boss in Miami.

Should probably mention Radwanska. She has a boatload of points to defend. It's hard to her imagining her winning one again this year. She has started the year solid enough, but has struggled big time in her losses. I imagine she'll be wanting to avoid Azarenka's half of the draw in IW.

- Do you expect Azarenka(Indian Wells) and Serena(Miami) to be sure bets? Sure bets is way too strong a term. They go into those respective events as favourites to win them though.
- Is Sharapova's form enigma after AO or she has what it takes to outshine Serena and Vika in America? Maria is a threat. I have a feeling we could see a repeat of last years Indian Wells final.
- How do you rate chances of 4-7 players: Radwanska, Li, Kerber and Errani? I answered first 2 above. Kerber I'm not sure should even be playing. Errani has had a decent start to the year, but nearly all the top players are a very bad match up for her. Both next to no chance.
- Kvitova finally amazed us with her victory in Dubai but can she handle the american heat? Predicting Kvitova :lol:. I don't think she'll win either title, she could make a run though, she could just as easily bomb out early.
- Bartoli comes with Mauresmo, can she go deep like she did few times in the past? Haven't really seen much to suggest Bartoli is out of her slump in 2013. QF maybe with right draw, any further I doubt it.
- Previous winners Ivanovic and Wozniacki always play their best tennis in California. Expectations? Neither are really a threat to the top players at the moment. Hard for them to get past QF's.
- Do you expect some young USA player to go deep and beat some of the favourites in front of home crowd?No

... your bets for the semifinals spots are? Is next to impossible to predict without a draw. I guess Azarenka and Sharapova are likely to make the semi-finals in IW. Would like to see the draw before predicting the rest.

#21 ·
Kvitova will EITHER bomb out early, or win one or both titles. If she has form and makes it deep in the draw, she will win. Hoping for a rematch with Ree after the Doha heartbreaker. Petra was wearing a lot of kinesio tape in her Dubai final, so I don't know how healthy she is.

#25 ·
Vika is the clear favorite for Indian Wells. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise. I mean, it would be shocking if she does not win the title. Petra and Maria are not on her level on slower HC and Vika will be both rested and confident.

Serena is the favorite for Miami. I can see her losing there but it's going to take a great performance. She loves the event, and she has a point to prove.

If Vika gets through IW easily and has a good draw in Miami, she's probably the favorite to make the finals in Miami with Serena, and I think NaNa can make a run in Miami or/and IW. Until proven otherwise, Serena and Vika are on another planet compared to the other players, especially on slower HC and so there are no other favorites. As for Petra, she isn't back. Let's talk when she beats a real contender.

#27 ·
I just can't wait to see Li Na back on court :yeah:
If Ana's shoulder isn't too badly injured and she's back to full fitness I can see a deep run for her in both.

And hopefully Caro can make quarters in both, although winning IW again would be perfect :hearts:

#29 ·
These 2 tournaments have really been Marion's high point of the last 3 years. Maybe its finally her time to breakthrough (lol jk JJ will win everything.)

Just don't bomb out early please :sobbing:

Expecting Vika/Sarin to sweep these though.

#31 ·
Veronica Cepede Rpyg will hopefully win (b/c she has one of the coolest sounding names.) Well, losing to Jelena in the finals. That'd be best!

#33 · (Edited)
inside top 10

IW :
1. vika
2. no-asthma kvitova
3. healty li na
4. sharapova
5. kutznesova / healty kerber / radwanska / stosur / wozniacki / bartoli

Miami :
1. serena
2. vika
3. no-asthma kvitova
4. healty li na
5. sharapova
6. tossup kutznesova /kerber/radwanska/stosur/wozniacki/bartoli

couldnt see sharapova able to pass serena-vika-li na

very longlonglong shot : errani...2nd round

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.