Jelena's interview (3rd July 2005) by Jelena Dokic LiVE and SPORTSKI ZURNAL:
Once one of the best tennis players, Jelena Dokic played on a small tournament, in a small Italian town. If someone told her that she would at the age of 22, at the time she should have been a nightmare on the tennis courts, return to challengers, she would probably not believe.
However, she played for the first time after six years on the tournament with the prize of 75.000 $, with the wild card by the organizers in Fano.
- We can talk, but depend about what – was the first sentence of the girl, which is more then frightened by the media chase due to her present condition.
Fano is, maybe, the place of the new start and some other story for Dokic. Since Dubai 1999 until Fano 2005 her career included fantastic rise up to 4. place on the WTA list and sudden fall down to the place 400.
Jelena lost in Fano against Eva Birnerova in the first round, but she is not losing her fate. On the contrary.
- I have to admit that it was really strange for me to play again on the 75.000 $ tournament. In some sense it is much better for me since I will return my self-confidence and stability in playing against lower-ranked players. My ranking is very bad and my choice of tournaments is limited, I cannot choose where I am going to play. That's why I decided not to sit at home and wait for six months that someone offer me a wild card, but to start playing what I can. I accepted the invitation from Italians and expect that soon I am going to start wining, achieving better and better results and slowly rise through the ranks so that I could soon enter better tournaments.
She trained hard last month and a half, and now misses only matches.
- Last six weeks, when I didn't play, I only trained, I spent the whole time in Monte Carlo. I couldn't do anything else, since I couldn't enter any tournament. I waited for Wimbledon to finish and that competition of this rank start. I lost my sense for matches, but I am sure that everything is going to be all right. I will do my best to achieve god results as soon as possible and I expect that in three weeks or a month I will start to rise.
Jelena surprised everybody by refusing a wild card for the Grand Slam qualification in London.
- I asked for the wild card for the main draw in Wimbledon. They didn't give me, and then two days before the tournament start they informed me that I got it fot the qualification. I refused since I didn't have enough time to prepare for grass. I didn't play any tournament long time before that, so I didn't want to travel and then lose in the first round. If they informed me earlier, I would accept for sure.
In the other hand, she accepted one more invitation for a challenger in Italy. She will try already next week.
- I will play one more tournament, in Cuneo (50.000 $). I planed also one 50.000 $ tournament in France, and after that we will see. It is not the problem for me to play on small tournaments. On the contrary. Girls are mostly young, sometimes I feel they respect me. However, they all always want to beat me, even on such small tournaments. During my play in Fano there were lots of people, and that meant a lot to me.
She says that everything is different comparing the last year. She changed not only her game, but also her mind.
- People maybe cannot notice that, but everything concerning me is different. Last year was very hard, nothing went the way it should. I played on few tournaments only, everything went wrong, I stoped believing in myself… The whole situation is now different. I haven't been on many tournaments this year also, but it is better. My shape is still not great, but it is much better then before. I am confident that it is going to be better - concluded she optimistically.
I don't work with Borna Bikic any more
Although organizers from Fano said that Borna Bikic accompanied Ms Dokic, she denied that information.
- I stoped working with Borna four months ago, in Indian Wells – she said. – Since then I am alone, I train alone, I travel alone. No one works with me and for now I don't look for the trainer. If I find someone who suits me, I am going to think about it. Every trainer is different, that's why it is not easy to find the right one.
Success of our players in Wimbledon
For the first time in last seven years Ms Dokic didn't play on Wimbledon, but she was following the results of our players.
- Boys made a bigger surprise then girls - that was the comment on the qualification to the third round of the Grand Slam of Jankovic, Ivanovic, Tipsarevic and Djokovic. – That is really great result, although I think that Ana should have won Pirs, and Jelena should have won Miskina even easier.
The final Lindsay Davenport vs. Venus Williams is not a surprise for her.
- In my opinion, two of them absolutely deserved to play in the final. There haven't been bigger surprises on the tournament, and they played excellently.
Next year maybe in the Fed Cup
Ms Dokic didn't ruled out the possibility to play again in Fed Cup next year. If Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic would play, she would think about playing for Serbia and Montanegro.
- The singl matches are for me most important, and my primary goal is to return to shape - she said, adding that she didn't know that Tatjana Jecmenica is a new national trainer. – However, if everything goes well, I would love to play with Jelena and Ana. I think that the qualification to the World League is not an easy task, and that it would certainly be impossible if one of them didn't play, in that case I would not accept either. But, that's something I still cannot think about, since I have to focus on the tournaments.
One thing is for sure – she will not come to Serbia soon.
-Tournaments are in front of me. I don't know when I am going to come to Belgrade, I cannot even guarantee for the next winter.