Tennis Forum banner

Top 10 Fastest Serves of All Time (Venus,Serena,Ana,Na,4 Germans)

8K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  Cooper96 
#1 ·
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/1978722/title/ids-serve-speed-leaders

RANK NAME MPH KPH TOURNAMENT
1 Venus Williams (USA) 129.0 207.6 2007 US Open
2 Serena Williams (USA) 128.6 207.0 2013 Australian Open
3 Julia Goerges (GER) 126.1 203.0 2012 French Open
4 Brenda Schultz-McCarthy (NED) 126.0 202.7 2007 Indian Wells
5 Sabine Lisicki (GER) 125.0 201.2 2011 Stanford
6 Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER) 125.0 201.1 2009 Indian Wells
7 Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 124.9 201.0 2007 French Open
8 Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) 124.3 200.0 2009 French Open
9 Tatjana Malek (GER) 124.0 199.6 2012 US Open
10 Li Na (CHN) 123.7 199.0 2010 French Open

#45 ·
So Venus serves one at 129, but never again came within 30 of that one? Hard to believe.

#46 ·
I knew that Na one was a load of bollocks the moment I saw it in the thread title. :lol:

Venus and Serena have probably served 130+mph serves in practice before, just not fortunate to get it clocked. I know Serena says she can hit a serve that goes awol at 150mph, so there's potential for them to break their own records.

Someone in Serena's presser actually confirmed Sabine's 210km in Bali as legitimate and Serena's response "Oh really?". :lol:

I mean these serve speeds are nice for a novelty factor but precision is the most important aspect of a good serve obviously.

#47 ·
I knew that Na one was a load of bollocks the moment I saw it in the thread title. :lol:

Venus and Serena have probably served 130+mph serves in practice before, just not fortunate to get it clocked. I know Serena says she can hit a serve that goes awol at 150mph, so there's potential for them to break their own records.

Someone in Serena's presser actually confirmed Sabine's 210km in Bali as legitimate and Serena's response "Oh really?". :lol:

I mean these serve speeds are nice for a novelty factor but precision is the most important aspect of a good serve obviously.
They didn't confirm it. They just brought it up. Must of seen the YouTube video like everyone else.

#50 ·
Rubbish. No offense but Li Na couldn't serve that fast in her dreams :lol:.

#52 ·
not only precision , but consistent high speed also. Some players can hit one serve 120mph+ per career , Venus can hit 115-120 mph in every match

#53 ·
not only precision , but consistent high speed also. Some players can hit one serve 120mph+ per career , Venus can hit 115-120 mph in every match

#57 ·
I'm always a little skeptical with these kinds of numbers. I think it can differentiate tiers of servers based on speed. But to say definitively that one server is faster than another based on this measuring method is suspect. That's true in baseball too, where these numbers are even more valued.

Its interesting that all of the top numbers are from the last few years. Equipment alone can't explain that. I think it does tell us that todays WTA player is far more fit, athletic and powerful, not just from players 20-30-40 years ago. But from players even 10 years ago.

On the ATP side, I think the speed of a Pete Samperas serve or even an Andy Roddick serve from the early 2000s would hold up today. Not so in the women's game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.