• Martina

Votes: 104 43.2%
  • Serena

Votes: 137 56.8%

Martina Navratilova VS Serena Williams

35K views 214 replies 116 participants last post by  MrTrick 
#1 · (Edited)

Martina:

"I Would be inspired if I could play Serena Williams on that US Open stadium court.
The atmosphere with both of us in our primes would be electric.
The key for me would be to neutralize her power and get into the points on her serve, to make her hit more balls than she is used to hitting in most of her matches.
I would need to keep the balls as low as possible, and I would tr to hit short to bring her forward, and then come in deep going the other way.
Now she is going backwards as I come in to the net.

On my serve I would not be able to serve-and-volley all of the time, but I would do it a lot.
I would serve into her body, mix it up a lot.
I served-and-volleyed a lot against Monica Seles and she had the best return in the game then, and it was effective. I believe I could deal with Serena's pace.
The harder the ball comes to me the faster it tends to come back.
And I would try to give her a lot of off-paced balls.
Getting into the rally would be another key for me.
I could see Serena and me having a very close match, something like 6-4 in the third set, with maybe a few tie-breaks before that.
There would be very few service breaks and I could imagine a set without any breaks at all.
It would be exciting because we are two of the best athletes tennis has ever seen and the crowd would respond positively to that."

Mark Preston
American journalist, USTA Magazine

"There has never been a player I've admired more than Martina Navratilova, both for her talent and her remarkable competitive ability. Born in Czechoslovakia, but most assuredly made in America, Navratilova did nothing less than change the face of women's tennis with her aggressive game, unparalleled commitment to fitness and unquenchable desire to be the best. The only other woman on par with Navratilova in terms of mental toughness and sheer fighting spirit is Serena Williams, the greatest pure competitor of this era of women's tennis. For that reason alone, it would be a joy to see these two go head-to-head on the game's biggest stage; Navratilova's precise serve-and-volley game against Williams' punishing power. The exchanges would be staggering in their brilliance; two fighters engaged in the sort of heavyweight slugfest that usually has ropes around it. Without a doubt, this one goes the distance, as neither woman gives an inch. In three, it's Navratilova."

See less See more
2 2
Reactions: tennislover
#154 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that Martina has faced both Venus and Serena's serve in doubles in the early 2000s. It wasn't an exhibition either, so it was in competition. I don't recall hearing that she was blown off the court by either of their serves.

Quite the opposite actually. I recall both sisters saying they found Martina's serve difficult because she was doing all sorts of "weird stuff" to the ball. Perhaps they were being kind, but it's true that Martina has tremedous variety on the serve.

#157 · (Edited)
Martina is the only other player apart from Serena who I would bet my house on to work hard and evolve her game to suit any era.

But at the end of the day, even on Martina's best surface, peak Serena would only need one break of serve to win the set. On other surfaces, Serena will probably win by a much bigger margin. Serena loves a target at the net and probably has the best angles on tour; not to mention her famous on the run DTL shots. Martina would've a better chance to extend the rallies from the back of the court because she will get burned if she approaches the net with anything less than a stellar shot.

But if we forget peak serena for a second and compare them over a period of 10 matches on an average day, the H2H would be a lot closer. Something like 6-4 or 7-3 in Serena's favour.

#159 ·
Martina with 1983 equipment on a real grass (fescue) or carpet court. Serena on a contemporary hard court with current equipment.

#161 ·
Martina was a lefty who opted for a single handed BH which allowed her to dominate games, that would trouble Serena, but remember champions adjust. Martina's play also pitted her serve & volley game against Evert's baseline style, it was a very close rivalry (43-37 in favor of Martina). I believe if Evert had a powerful baseline game like Serena's she would have won more against Martina because essentially Martina's playing style of serve & volley and chip & charge would be severely punished by Serena on any surface except grass.

...so I give a slight edge to Serena (always challenging to compare players from different eras):eek:

#164 ·
Martina was a lefty who opted for a single handed BH which allowed her to dominate games, that would trouble Serena, but remember champions adjust. Martina's play also pitted her serve & volley game against Evert's baseline style, it was a very close rivalry (43-37 in favor of Martina). I believe if Evert had a powerful baseline game like Serena's she would have won more against Martina because essentially Martina's playing style of serve & volley and chip & charge would be severely punished by Serena on any surface except grass.

...so I give a slight edge to Serena (always challenging to compare players from different eras):eek:
You are so right.
There are just so many variables to consider. We're talking about a difference in court speed and condition/surfaces; ball and racquet technology, diet, conditioning.
What they both have in common though, is that innate pure passion, desire, and intensity, to win.
Even so, it's evident to me that Serena hates losing more than she loves winning. I think she may even have said this in an interview.

It's really difficult to say how Navratilova would fair vs Serena in the present period. I think part of the reason she was so driven in the past was because of the adversity she faced, both on and off court. But then, if she played in this era, she would not have faced the same difficulties. She would have been loved and embraced; whereas Serena would still be receiving the same adverse treatment (and reception).

I honestly believe that Navratilova is so pressed (about Serena) because she knows that Serena is superior to her in so many ways. Serena's serve alone would absolutely destroy Nav. There is just no way that Navratilova would have been able to handle those accurate and varied serves. And once Serena dissected that nice S&V game of Navratilova's, then as often happens, Serena would have had the upper hand in the majority of their matches.
I believe Serena would have won 80% of their encounters... possibly after losing maybe the first two.
Navratilova was no slacker by any means, but Serena just absolutely HATES losing, and that would be (to me) the defining factor in their encounters.

#166 ·
Navratilova would win nearly every match where Peak Serena doesn't show up.

If Peak Rena shows up, nobody (no female tennis player ever) will be able to compete with her

#170 ·
Peak Navratilova did not always show up either. There is a reason she won only 2 slams before her 25th birthday.

I tend to think most all time greats would have a winning record for Martina simple since Martina's greatness was mostly limited to age 25-30. Even Chris Evert who she so thoroughly owned at her peak she beat 13 times in a row at her peak she still barely took the head to head lead. Most all time greats she would not be able to beat 13 times in a row even at her peak- Graf, Serena, Lenglen, Wills, Connolly, Seles, I couldn't see her doing that to any of those, and all of those would own her from age 16 to 24. Add to that many of those were retired by 30, and she would end up with a losing record to most of them, even if she possibly in her prime years would beat most the majority of the time.

#169 ·
I don't think it will be so close in today's era. It won't necessarily be about the serve but the return and I think as the rivarly is extended Serena will have the edge, because she is simply a better baseliner and can keep Martina pinned there. However we would get some awesome encounters like we had with Mauresmo vs Serena in the past, but if Serena is dialed in I she holds very easily. Martina ever had to face a player like Serena in her era in terms of the serve and return. Women didn't attack either shot with as much ferocity as they did today. Also comparing doubles play when you are playing essentially half (sometimes quarter) court tennis is not the same. The sheer speed and physicality of points (in today's era) on a full court would be wear down on Martina. Anyhow, I think it'd start off as a tightly contested close contest, but all things equal, and both players playing there best, Serena edges it because she will have much more success off the ground and returning Martina's serve.

#172 · (Edited)
Martina:

"I Would be inspired if I could play Serena Williams on that US Open stadium court.
The atmosphere with both of us in our primes would be electric.
The key for me would be to neutralize her power and get into the points on her serve, to make her hit more balls than she is used to hitting in most of her matches.
I would need to keep the balls as low as possible, and I would tr to hit short to bring her forward, and then come in deep going the other way.
Now she is going backwards as I come in to the net.

On my serve I would not be able to serve-and-volley all of the time, but I would do it a lot.
I would serve into her body, mix it up a lot.
I served-and-volleyed a lot against Monica Seles and she had the best return in the game then, and it was effective. I believe I could deal with Serena's pace.
The harder the ball comes to me the faster it tends to come back.
And I would try to give her a lot of off-paced balls.
Getting into the rally would be another key for me.
I could see Serena and me having a very close match, something like 6-4 in the third set, with maybe a few tie-breaks before that.
There would be very few service breaks and I could imagine a set without any breaks at all.
It would be exciting because we are two of the best athletes tennis has ever seen and the crowd would respond positively to that."
I wish; I wish; I wish; I wish; I wish!

Dear Martina Navratilova:

You are one of the greatest female tennis player ever. In fact, there are those who even believe that you are the GOAT. Your glory days have come and gone in the sport, and now, this era currently is Serena Williams time to glory. Heaven and Earth, could you find it within you to please refrain from interjecting yourself into Serena's glory? It is quite unbecoming. Your 15 minutes have come and gone. Shut up!

Moreover, you are a Serve-n-Volley player from the days of "moonball and dainty" style of tennis, when a 100 miles per hour serve and 90 miles per hour return were luxuries. On the other hand, today's game, ATP and WTA, is based on sheer power from the baseline, where serves and returns range in the 120 mph and up. Particularly, Serena Williams is probably the strongest, most athletic female the sport has ever seen and she possesses that which most everyone conceded is the deadliest weapon in the sport-the best serve in the history to women's professional tennis. Her Open-Stance baseline power game from both wings will only be a school master for yours. In fact, upon her returns on ground strokes you will not have time to come to net as you are a custom. On her serve you will be lucky to win any points outside of a double fault. Don't take my word for it, simply recall your own experience when you try to return to both singles and doubles against today power players, your age notwithstanding. How successful were you? Pray, what serve-n-volley player sports great success against todays baseline player in either the men's or the women's game?

Finally, as Exhibit 1, I proffer the following video of a rookie Serena v. the established GOAT that should serve to provide an indication of how well you will fear today against a vastly more experienced Serena Williams:
http://youtu.be/GmPm7gJSd6g

#177 ·
In her 'prime'.

Had Evert and Navratilova been born 25 years later Serena would have been the Mandlikova of this era, Serena never hasn't had a big rival like them in ages, yet they still managed to win 100+ more titles than Serena each, they are the bigger champions therefore they would own Serena if they played today because they would adapt and win.

#178 ·
In her 'prime'. Had Evert and Navratilova been born 25 years later Serena would have been the Mandlikova of this era.
This is a stupid blanket statement. It would be just like one saying if Navratilova were born in the Serena era she would be the Mauresmo of today, or if Evert were born in the Serena era she would be the Azarenka of today. I am not implying that, but it would be no more ridiculous than what you are suggesting.

#181 · (Edited)
It would have been interesting if Serena of 2009-2013 was able to play prime Henin. Since that never happened we can never really get a true measure of this Serena's level. It's been too spotty to call it PeakRena anyway but it's definitely a smarter version.

PeakRena (2002-2003) vs PeakNav would be a great matchup. To beat PeakNav EVER Serena would have to be at the height of her athleticism.

Natural surfaces definitely Martina. Hardcourts to PeakRena. Rena is too strong from the baseline on hardcourts and her footing is sure.

#182 ·
I am not sure Martina would win on clay. Henin is a greater clay courter than Martina, and peak Serena (who wasn't even as good on clay as the current one, today is her clay peak) was about equal in her matches with Henin on clay in 2002-2003.

On grass Martina would have a lot of trouble with Serena's serve, like everyone does. Martina had a lot of problems with Graf's power game on grass when they played, and got beat pretty badly in both the 88 and 89 finals, even though they went 3 sets. Martina's biggest rival on grass was Evert who never had enough power or athleticsm to really threaten her on the surface (when fit and in form)

#186 ·
Martina is the greatest grasscourter ever hands-down and her serve rivals Serena's on the surface. How can you get beat pretty badly in 3 sets? In 88, Martina was already in her 30s and past her peak yet she was still one of the greatest grasscourters in the game.

And today is Serena's clay peak? Based on what? What clay giants has she faced? What good claycourters is she contending with? Meanwhile, Navratilova had to contend with 2 players who were superior to Henin (Evert, Graf)

#185 ·
I think Serena's power would be too much :/ Martina wouldn't back able to volly I don't think :L

#188 ·
And what's with all this Henin-talk? Henin was only a nuicance for Serena on clay. The rest of the surfaces, Henin was never a factor against Serena.

#189 ·
Sammo is trying sooooo hard.
Surely he deserves a chocolate chip cookie.

Oops, I ate it. :oh:

#192 ·
I hate it when people compare eras, GOATS...What kind of racquets are we talking here ? Wooden racquets ? '80s graphite ? Today's racquets technology that generate enormous power and enormous spin ?
Just compare 1983 wooden racquet Evert with 1985 graphite Evert and get back to me...2013 Evert would be a superior Azarenka with nerves, consistency and a game plan. Conversely I doubt Navratilova would serve&volley with today's racquet technology. Just look at Federer...

#194 ·
Evert is 5'7'' and Azarenka is 6'0''. She won't have near as much fire power from the ground. She'd be akin to Wozniacki in her game style and power output regardless of racquet. She did not play the same aggressive style sitting on the baseline like Azarenka either. She is also not the athlete Azarenka is. Honestly, if you asked Evert point blank if she thought she'd compete with Serena when there both at there best, she'd be honest and say no. She said Serena is the best players I've seen and often brings up the power and athleticism differential in there respective games. She even mentioned it in her open letter to Serena.

#196 ·
It's hard to say whether Serena is 2 and Martina is 3 or vice versa but for my money the greatest to ever play against females was Bobby Riggs. I just wish he didn't ruin his rep as the greatest intergender tennis champion by tanking against Billie Jean King to pay off his bookies.

#199 ·
I have seen both players and if you think, only grandslam titels count then in the end Serena will probably win and I know people come up with the injuries of Serena.

But Martina had to do something nobody of these greats had to do namely defect that had a great impact on her and she did not play that good in her first years when she was all alone although she won already grandslam doubles titels. It is a great tribute to her that she still succeeded that she is even considered one of the greats.

I can tell you that Martina was and is by far the most spectaculair and entertaining player there has ever been and if Martina had played like Chris Evert this would have been the most boring rivalry.

Serena does not play enertaining with all her aces and her power.If we are going to play Serena and Martina against each other in what time and with what material. It is all so theoretical the older people all know how technical the older players were and Martina has so much touch and comes from the Czech school maybe the best in the world.
Martina was not a lazy player otherwise you do not win 167 singles tournaments and 177 doubles tournaments, Martina is the only one who once said tennis is a very nice game and she obviously loves it very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.