Tennis Forum banner

Sorana in Down Under 2013 - Start of the new year

6K views 92 replies 18 participants last post by  Sobachka 
#1 ·
Start of the new season.

Sorana will play in Auckland, Hobart and Melbourne.

#5 ·
Lmao, that first encounter was where she had that epic brainfart from 5-0 up in the 3rd.

Sorana still should prevail. She is usually starting rather well into the year. Of course she is still able to hit herself out of the contest on an off day in under an hour.

R2 could be very interesting.

#6 ·
GL Sori! :bounce:
Not sure what to expect. Difficult draw. Could be better. Could be worse :shrug:

I expect her to win at least R1 though. I think Hev is very overrated on TF :shrug:
Of course, if Sori has a bad day then Hev will push her way to an easy victory :rolleyes:
In my FITD, I have Sori making the final #deluded :p

#7 ·
3-6 ret. :tears:

Not the best way to start a season :scared:

#11 ·
Obviously a viral illness. Nope, then retiring is the best thing to do especially in the heat of the Australian summer.

Bad luck, but I hope she is back in Horbat where she can go really far with a good draw.

#14 ·
Hope for the EDIT, because this opening match couldn't be any worse :eek: The only other outside hope is that Mona comes in tight, knowing she is the defending champ. Otherwise, Sorana can kiss those QF points goodbye.

BTW, Mona leads the h2h, 1-0.

#17 · (Edited)
Pavlyuchenkova withdrew - so Barthel is taking her spot and Sorana should face a Q/LL in R1 if I got the rules right on how to make a draw.

EDIT: Just saw it depends on when she is officially out. Better hurry up, I guess.

#23 ·
Won it 6-2 in the 3rd.

Another one of those classic Sorana matches with a first set in which she is just rushing the ball like a maniac on every occassion, but in contrast to her earlier career, she is now able to turn it around and fight back and this is a pretty good sign.
She also had a good amount of these last season.

However, you can't afford such slow starts like this against any decent player out there and I really wonder if her coaches didn't have notice these patterns as well already?

R2 against Davis who is actually a bad match up, but she just isn't that good, even for pusher standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.