- View Single Post - Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???
View Single Post
post #80 of (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM
country flag The Bulldog
Re: Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???

I've saved match-points quite a few times, especially in the last year or so. Most of the time it comes when down a set and the second-set gets quite tight and the opponent obviously gets the chance to close out the match. However I would say my greatest ever comeback would be a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 win I had in the summer last year on grass in the local box league. The surface wasn't offering much of a bounce and the ball was coming through the court so quickly that day. It will come as no surprise that there were no breaks, and I would estimate nearly an ace per service game for both my opponent and I.

The comeback part of it was in the final set tie-breaker where I was 6-1* down and he had five match points with two to come on his serve. I had to work very hard to save the first couple of match points on my own serve. Two second-serves that weren't especially good, but I managed to get into the rallies early and come through the court with powerful forehands and force an error from him in the first match point and put away a straight-forward chance at the net in the second match point. At this moment, I was playing without pressure because I knew my opponent would likely bang down an unreturnable serve in one of the next two points, so I thought my chances were limited. At *6-3, he only rolled in the first serve, which surprised me, but I was able to hit a commanding slice back and get into the net to execute a good enough stop volley from the response. He double-faulted in the next point, so it was back on serve in the breaker. I was pumped and hit two excellent first serves to force a match point of my own. One was an ace out-wide and the other yielded an easy fore-court backhand put away. Poor fella double-faulted again to give me the match, but I had to play some great points to get back in it, but also get a lot if luck with him double-faulting twice at the death.

It's a sequence of points I remember really vividly and pretty sure I always will.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome