Tennis Forum banner

Banana Bobusic 4 Eva! (Bojana Bobusic Cheering Thread)

36K views 438 replies 43 participants last post by  Daebak. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey it looks like no one ever started a thread for Bojana Bobusic... or 'The Boj' as I like to call her :lol:

Well, seems like she's in form again, so I thought I'd start one for her. Her last few tournament results:

QF in $25K in Bundaberg $25K (as qualifier) - def. Letcher in R2
then in American $10Ks she's gone:
F in Landisville
SF in Sumter (won doubles too!)
F in Hilton Head

She's #13 in Australia so far this year and going to break back into the top 500.

In 2009, she came from nowhere (US College tennis I think) to qualify and reach the finals of Darwin $25K and went on to have a good Aussie challenger season and ended the year in the top 500 - a nice surprise for us to have a new prospect on the scene.

2010 wasn't such a good year. She had some good results at the start of the year and broke into the top 400 but then couldn't defend her points at the end of the year and her ranking dropped to the 600s.

She seems to have quickly gotten back on track so let's see how far The Boj can go in 2011! :cheer:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: The Boj! (Bojana Bobusic Cheering Thread)

Good to see Bojana come good in the States :)

Did great in those $10Ks, she seems comfortable playing there after all those years in the college system. I don't ever see her getting much higher than 350, but I'd like to see her prove me wrong. A strong finish in Oz this year could certainly do good things for the ranking as I don't think she has that many points to defend.

#3 ·

Saw Bojana play today in Darwin $25K R1: def. Viktorija Rajicic 6-2 6-2 (I think).

Bojana looked great. Was hitting it deep and hard. Made a few loose errors but always looked like winning. Viktorija looked uninspired and even though she can belt it, Bojana was just a stronger player. Well done and good luck in R2!

A few more wins and she'll have a career high ranking. You'd have to think she's a good chance for some qualifying wildcards in January, wouldn't you?

#6 ·

I was so impressed with her today. Here's my little report

Bobusic def. Webley-Smith 6-1 6-2

This was an awesome match from Bojana. I really like the way she plays. Her backhand is so strong and she hits so many shots consistently deep. She seems to have a good attitude too. Emily was making a lot of errors, which wasn't helped by Bojana's consistently deep hitting. Bojana raced out to 4-0 lead and I think Emily barely won any points on her 2nd serve. The first set was over very quickly. In the first game of the 2nd set, something set Emily off and she smacked her racquet into the ground. Not satisfied, she picked it up again and *smash*, *smash*, *smash*, and it was bye-bye racquet. She got a point penalty for it too (I missed the first violation - not sure what it was for). Bojana held firm and went up 3-1. She saved two break points at 3-1 15-40 and went up 4-1 and held on for a very convincing win. She is so small but plays really nice tennis. Hope she continues to do well

#7 ·

Mount Gambier 25k

32 - Bojana Bobusic AUS [8] d Ashley Keir AUS [Q] 6-2 6-1
16 - Bojana Bobusic AUS [8] d Karoline Wlodarczak AUS 6-4 6-3
Qtr - Bojana Bobusic AUS [8] d Sacha Jones NZL [3] 6-4 7-5
Smi - Bojana Bobusic AUS [8] v Isabella Holland AUS [2]

The good thing, if they weren't already, about these results is that Bojana has very, VERY little to defend over the next 6 months. Her ranking could sky rocket into the top 200 if she keeps this up.

#9 ·

Yeah she's done awesome this year, including a bunch of great OS results in small ITFs. Lol @TS saying 'I don't see her going above 350'. I'm sure you're glad she proved you wrong.

Two main hurdles I see for The Boj: Getting over the line and finally winning a tournament - she's got 0-5 record in finals :sad: and then to start winning in bigger tournaments. I don't think she's won a match above the $25K level. Will be very interesting to see how she handles wildcards she might receive in January. Remember Tammi had a great ITF season last year but crumbled in the Aussie WTA events? I suspect Bojana's mental strength will come through and she'll make the most of it.

I think she can beat all the other semi-finalists and has a pretty good chance here... Go the Boj :cheer:

#10 ·

it would be good to see her play at 50k level, shes only ever played 5 tournaments in her career over 25k (4 were 50k's in the states)

was Bojana a good junior? i saw that her first ever singles tournament was australian open quallies back in 2004, so she must have impressed somehow.

#13 ·

it would be good to see her play at 50k level, shes only ever played 5 tournaments in her career over 25k (4 were 50k's in the states)

was Bojana a good junior? i saw that her first ever singles tournament was australian open quallies back in 2004, so she must have impressed somehow.
In juniors Boj came through with the likes of Dubravka Cupac and Nathalie Tanevska who were pretty good, Cupac especially had the game and attitude to make top 200 if she had stuck with tennis full time!

#11 ·

Territory brings up a good point about Patterson, Boj worries me in the same way. I think it was 2 years ago she got up to around 400 and then last year she barely won matches and dropped to around 800. Hopefully that doesn't happen again and this isn't just an abberation.

Bojana was a alright junior, her career high was 70. She beat Wozniacki in the first round of Wimbledon in 2004 :lol:

#23 ·

we've talked about her wildcard chances a bit in the ITF circuit thread i think, i thought she was a pretty good chance but other people brought up that she hasnt proven herself against top 150 and 100 players. someone like Peers has shown this year and last year that she can compete with higher ranked girls. but still, i'd like to see Bojana get a MD WC and give a new face a chance at playing in a grand slam.

#25 ·

For mine, she's still behind Nastya, Casey, Liv, Izzy, Sally and Ashleigh for the WC (How many spots are there??).

But the next few weeks will be telling - the Traralgon ITF is stronger than the one Boj won, with Casey and Liv back. If she does well again there, and then in the WC Playoff then she'll have a good chance, I reckon. I'd say she's got a decent chance of making the WC Playoff final - if she does that then you'd think they'd give her a MD wildcard. But let's not get too over-excited - it's only 1 ITF title.

But still - :cheer: Boj won an ITF! :cheer: Well done! :cheer:

#26 ·

all Wejnert did in 2008 to get a MDWC was win one 25k, but she was only 16 then so it's completely different with Bojana. but still, you dont have to do much to impress tennis australia. with the play-off the only girls that can beat Bojana at the moment i reckon are Olivia and Casey, so she should be a good chance of making at least the semis.

australia gets 5 WCs but i reckon A-Rod will get in direct. if she doesn't, id go with Territory's picks minus Sally.

#27 ·

all Wejnert did in 2008 to get a MDWC was win one 25k, but she was only 16 then so it's completely different with Bojana. but still, you dont have to do much to impress tennis australia. with the play-off the only girls that can beat Bojana at the moment i reckon are Olivia and Casey, so she should be a good chance of making at least the semis.

australia gets 5 WCs but i reckon A-Rod will get in direct. if she doesn't, id go with Territory's picks minus Sally.
Exactly, she was 16. You don't have to do much to impress TA, but it helps to be young. Plus Monika was runner-up at the WC playoff and beat Dokic along the way.

It'll be interesting, if Rodionova does get in direct it'll come down to Bobusic/Peers. Peers has youth on her side and proven results, whereas Bojana has current form on her side. Don't forget we have two more 25ks left, I think they'll be crucial in the race...as well as obviously, the WC playoff.

#28 ·

Hopefully Boj can keep the form going and it would be great should she not get an ao md wc (which is likely imo) that she can maybe sneak into qualies direct depending on what the cut is like!!

Keep it going!! :woohoo:

#29 ·

oh yeah i completely forgot about Wejnert in the play-off. i wonder where she's be now if she was still playing...

Bojana has really set herself up for next year, the only way is up for the first few months and she should be able to play quallies at the french, wimbledon and maybe us.

#35 ·

it's funny how many of our girls lose motivation, Cupac, Rajicic starting to, Wejnert, Golds... i wonder if there is something tennis australia is doing wrong or if it's just a coincidence.
I don't think Monika really ever cared about tennis all that much, I know that sounds presumptious...but that's the feeling I get. She's a pretty girl who has the world at her feet, not surprising.

As far as Rajicic goes, she seems lazy to me too, but I think injuries play a part too. She's still really young...so you know, she's still working at it, not too late.

When it comes down to it, it's easy to blame TA...but if a player doesn't have the desire to make a career out of tennis, you can't force it. Each person needs their personal determination to reach the top too, if they don't, they probably won't.

#36 ·

Truthfully I don't think at their young age they have the ability to gauge what their talent means. There is a small window of opportunity for these up and comers and once they miss it they will always be wondering what if.

If they think it is hard trying to make it as a tennis pro, they should ask someone who has slogged their guts out for 40 years working in some menial job how much fun that has been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.