Tennis Forum banner

Alize season 2013

23K views 352 replies 25 participants last post by  Hugues 
#1 ·
allez alize!! gotta love australia :hearts:

#32 ·
A marathon 3 1/2 hour win down under for Alize, 7-5, 6-7, 10-8. I didn't see the match, but the stats show only 8 unforced errors in three long sets which is pretty promising. She apparently saved a set point in the first set. Venus won easily and will be her next opponent. Allez! :)

#35 ·
Venus beat Alize 6-3, 6-3 in the first stadium night match. Watching the match highlights, it looks like Alize was competitive. She went up 2-0 in the first set, but was broken in three of the next four service games and lost the set. They were on serve at three all in the second set when Venus took control. Next up for Venus is Sharapova, who looks to be in dominant form. On paper this looks likes a great match, but I think Sharapova comes through without too much difficulty.

Alize is playing doubles with Mona Barthel. Mona's a great young player but I don't know much about her doubles talents. We will see how they do.

#38 ·
I'm impressed by Alize so far. She changed her serve motion a bit maybe it will be more consistent, and changed her forehand grip. It will be good I hope. It's a hard task for her, she has to get used to it, it's a long time, so I thought she won't have huge results already in Australia.
It is good that she could win a match in Melbourne, and win a crazy match like against Erakovic. It is good for her confidence. Against Venus she was good, she was a break up in the first and in the second too. I'm content with her.
She scored 160 points (last year 10 or 20) and she is very close to the top 30. Until Strasbourg every point will be a gift so I really hope she will be seeded at Roland Garros and also in Wimbledon.
I think she will be playing Fed Cup in France on indoor clay, I think she will play singles matches. Maybe she can play a good match against Kerber, won't be easy. After that Paris indoor is not her surface :help:
And AO is not over yet, good luck in doubles!!!

A BIG QUESTION!!!! Why was Gabriel Urpi (Pennetta's coach) in Alize's box today? There were Mauresmo, Goven and Urpi. What does it mean? Now Pennetta is training in Barcelona...

#39 ·
Not sure on the coach question but watching both these matches you could see that they have tried to put more weight on the forehand. It is still producing a lot of stupid errors on routine balls so that really needs to be worked on. If you are going to play the game Alize does you need to not make so many errors. Serve looked like it had more on it too. I'm not too concerned about the apparent "ugliness" of the forehand that people claim. if Alize could get close to a Justine Henin type game that works I would be really happy. I feel like she needs to play a schedule similar to her 2008 one that worked so well and propelled her into the top 20.

#41 ·
Alize lost a close doubles match and is out of the AO, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5. She started working to improve her serve last year, and I hope that trend continues. Happy to see she is also focused on improving her forehand, I think the past few years she has hit her forehand off the back foot way too much. It may work on clay against mid level opponents, but she's not going to beat any top players on any surface unless she can add a strong flat forehand. When she is playing with confidence, that shot can be a weapon and she does not have too many of those. If she can continue to improve her serve, I would like to see her come to the net a bit more and not always be glued to the baseline. Not many points to defend until March, so getting back to top 30 is possible with a strong run in a few tourneys.

#42 ·
Alizé her part of the draw:

Dominika Cibulkova vs BYE
Lucie Hradecka vs Tamira Paszek
Sofia Arvidsson vs Alize Cornet
Lourdes Dominguez Lino vs Lucie Safarova

Not a bad draw. Hopefully she can win at least a match :rocker:

#48 ·
Fed Cup draws were announced and Alize will not be playing singles for the team. Alize and Razzano are scheduled to play the final doubles match. Bartoli has pulled out with the "flu". Interesting decision by Mauresmo to move both Parmentier and Mladenovic ahead of Alize in the singles. I guess since Mladenovic just beat Goerges in Paris, that makes some sense. Parmentier has a decent record against both Goerges and Lisicki. We all know Alize's troubles in FedCup. We will see how it works out...

#50 ·
Yeah what a silly decision that Alize isn't playing singles!!!!!!!!!! :mad: That makes no sence. lol

Who decided this? Mauresmo?? This decision for me seems a stupid joke.
-Alize is is good form, it's not fair to her.
-Alize is World No. 36 at the moment, far more better rankings than the others.
-We can say that Alize played this year after some weeks consistent.
-Her performance in Paris indoors, which is her weakest surface, was very impressive, good fight against Safarova, Alize was competitive there.
-They play in Limoges on clay, which is her best surface.
-She plays well on clay, she can give back a lot of balls on every surface, and on clay it is more effective.
-And Alize could have been very dangerous to Lisicki and Goerges, who can hit a lot of unforced errors and play a lot of times without brain.

Not letting her play I think it is a huge mistake. Mladenovic plays, who played well in Paris on fast surface. So why they play on clay if Mladenovic is playing well on fast and they want Mladenovic to play?????? Why is Parmentier playing and not Alize??

Alize's smile at the photos of the official draw for me doesn't seem very honest. I think she is pissed, and I can understand her.

If Alize plays tomorrow singles it will be very hard for her, big pressure too because the Germans lead 2-0. It won't be fair.
It's hard to say, but the French team deserves the lose if they decide the things like this. One positive thing is that Alize was at the Fed Cup and she can qualify for the next Olympic Games. She doesn't have to play this event if she doesn't want.

#52 ·
To be honest, I would have expected this scenario: they choose fast hardcourt, use Bartoli and Mladenovic, given her Paris indoors run.

But with Marion out with flu, maybe Mladenovic and ... not sure about the second singles choice, maybe Razzano who hits very flat shots.

On clay however I'm really surprised that they didn't use Alize in singles. Her game suits clay more than any of the other French players. It was always going to be a tough tie though. Sabine is strong on quick surfaces as she has shown at Wimbledon, Julia is strong on clay where it becomes difficult to rush her big swing, so even the surface choice was tricky, but with Bartoli theoretically available I would have gone with a fast surface.

#53 ·
I think it says a lot about Mauresmo's lack of confidence in Alize. Clay is her best surface, and she was the highest ranked French player on the team. The fact that Amelie thought an untested Mladenovic was a better choice than Alize--on clay--is a bit puzzling. Like I said we all know Alize's troubles in FedCup, but she has been a loyal supporter of the team and deserved the chance to play in the singles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.