- View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread
View Single Post
post #105 of (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Rollo
Question for Evert fans or anyone...what was he rlast match like?
I was living in Japan and didn't see it

I've read where Zina cried, many in the corwd cried, and reportedly even a couple of TV announcers cried!
Just to be picky I think the Fed Cup was her last tournie for that year wasn’t it?? It might have been in Japan if I remember correctly. So Rollo you may have been able to see her after all!! US won the Fed Cup – Martina, Chris, Pam etc… Chris beating Martinez and Martina determined to win for Chris played a horrible first set but fought back to beat ASV. Apparently Martina was disappointed that Czech beat Germany 2-1 in the qtrs – therefore not getting a chance to revenge Steffi for her US defeat.

For the US Open match Chris lead 5-2 in the first but Zina really picked up the pace and didn’t miss much. After that run from 2-5 to 7-5, Zina was in control. I remember Zina saying that she hated being in that situation to beat Chris. However in the end Zina didn’t have to do much.

I can’t remember if the winner had a potential match against Martina or Steffi, but maybe Chris was looking beyond the Zina match.

I can remember Zina in tears and whilst walking from the court Chris gave her a hug. It looked like Chris was comforting Zina! not the other way around!

There's more to life than just being happy.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome