Tennis Forum banner

Let's cheer on Varvara Flink!

36K views 235 replies 16 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 · (Edited)
I was surprised there were no thread for the cute Varya. :awww:

She's from Moscow and was born on December 13, 1996 - so she's gonna turn 16 soon.

She's currently ranked 63 in juniors (but got a CHR of 24 at the beginning of the year), and 722 at the WTA.

She lost in R2 at both Eddie Herr & Orange Bowl recently: 3-6 2-6 vs (1)Taylor Townsend at Eddie Herr, and 1-6 6-2 3-6 to (9)Christina Makarova at Orange Bowl.

Her results on the pro tour this year:

I guess she's gonna focus more on the Pro tour next year. Best luck to her! :D :cheer:

See less See more
#9 ·
Re: Let's cheer for Varvara Flink!

2013 Abierto Juvenil Mexicano GA 23 Dec-29 Dec

R1 (8)Varvara Flink (RUS) d. (wc)Laura Arce (MEX) 60 61

R2 (8)Varvara Flink (RUS) d. Jacqueline Cabaj Awad (SWE) 36 61 63 :)

R3 against (9)Katrine Isabel Steffensen :cheer:

#11 ·

Varya won G1 Copa del Cafe in Costa Rica today. :yeah:

(6)Varvara Flink (RUS) d. (4)Veronika Kudermetova (RUS) 26 76 62

Congrats Varya! :hearts: :cheer:

#12 ·

She also won G1 Copa Barranquilla, defeating Laura Ucros 3 & 1 in the final. :worship:

This week, she's playing G2 ITF Guayas, she's through to QF without dropping a set ftm.

Still undefeated thsi year. :cool: :bounce:

#13 · (Edited)

I remember I read an article about her and now found it again, might be interesting to read for you guys (even if it is in dutch ;)). She is trained by someone here in the Netherlands in Eindhoven. See a link to the article in dutch and tried to put in the translation via google, but somehow did not work. In short it is about how they got in contact, after a match Varvara played against De Vroome in Chile and lost in 3 sets. How Varava was sent to South America by her father and had to takecare for herself a 14 year old. She temporarily lives in Eindhoven to train, but for the rest she trains in Ukraine with ther Dutch trainer in Jalta. There she also has classes for math after the training. Interesting to see how her career develops.

http://www.ed.nl/sport/nuenense-tennistrainer-ontfermt-zich-over-russisch-tennistalent-1.3297684

#14 ·

Thanks Phenomareva for the article! I don't speak Dutch at all though, so I'll stick to your summary, but that's interesting info :yeah:

How Varava was sent to South America by her father and had to takecare for herself a 14 year old.
Awww, poor baby. :awww: :hug:

Hope she have success in her carreer, I'd love to sse this lovely face in WTA tournaments someday. :hug:

#16 ·

Yeah, it sounds hard. :awww: Though I think it happens quite often with Russian girls, maybe it's a case of lack of money in Varya's case, but I remember at her age Bepa was also on her own at tournaments. :awww: :hug:

She played G2 ITF Guayas last week, reached the final as Seed 2 and lost to Seed 1 Domenica Gonzalez 4 & 2. :hug:

She has a new CHR of 22 this week :yeah: :hug:

#18 ·

^ So Varvara starts her year in Moscow qualies. First year ranked in 2012, ending it at #722. How will she do this year?

Although she's seeded, she has a tough opener against Olga.

#21 ·

She played G1 Banana Bowl in Brazil last week: she was Seed 3 and had a bye in R1, beat Constanza Gorches 1 & 3 in R2, and lost to eventual finalist (15)Alice Matteucci 6-7(9) 3-6 in R3 :hug:

#22 ·

This week, she's playing a GA in Brazil again! :cheer:

GA Copa Gerdau - she's Seed 2

R1 d. Alexandria Stiteler 4 & 2 :)
R2 vs. (WC)Leciane Comparin Da Silva :cheer:

#26 ·

She beat (15)Stephanie Petit 1 & 4 in R3, then she beat (7)Alejandra Cisneros 7-5 6-2 in QF :yeah: Then she beat (3)Camila Giangreca Campiz 1 & 4 in SF :cool:... and then she beat (5)Beatriz Haddad Maia 1-6 6-2 6-1 :rocker2:

:woohoo: Congrats Varya! :inlove:

#28 ·

She reached the QF of the Brazilian 10K ;) R1 d. Stephanie Theiler 0 & 2, R2 d. (5)Carla Forte 3 & 2, and lost in QF (3)Beatriz Haddad Maia who took her revenge from the final lost, 5-7 6-3 4-6 :hug: A good week! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.