View Single Post
post #250 of (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Re: 1992

Graf rolls by Schultz to reach quarterfinals
USA TODAY
Friday, April 10, 1992
Compiled by Rachel Shuster

In a match lasting one hour, top seed Steffi Graf reached the quarterfinals of the $350,000 Bausch & Lomb Championships at Amelia Island, Fla., with a 6-2, 6-2 win Thursday against Brenda Schultz.

The top seed broke Schultz in the sixth game to go up 4-2 in each set, then didn't have much difficulty finishing off her opponent.

"In the beginning of the first set, it was a close match. Once I got the first break, things got a lot easier,'' said Graf, still dissatisfied with her down-the-line forehand. "That's the only thing I can say wasn't working. (But) I tried to use it on some tough points.''

Graf next meets Leila Meskhi, a 6-2, 6-2 winner against Patty Fendick.

Others in the quarterfinals are No. 3 seed Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, a 6-0, 6-2 third-round winner over Ines Gorrochategui; No. 4 Conchita Martinez, who beat Sandra Cecchini 6-2, 6-0, and No. 8 Zina Garrison, who beat Natalia Zvereva 6-3, 6-1.

Defending champion Gabriela Sabatini, the No. 2 seed, earned the last quarterfinal berth by trouncing Kathy Rinaldi 6-0, 6-3 in a night match. She will face No. 5 Jana Novotna next. The other quarterfinal matches are Sanchez Vicario vs. unseeded Sabine Hack and Martinez vs. Garrison.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome