Tennis Forum banner

Things you want Maria to achieve/do in 2013.

20K views 230 replies 77 participants last post by  jacobruiz 
#1 · (Edited)
Sequel to this thread on popular demand :p (Thanks to sickfalsetto for reminding :hatoff: )

Also check back here how did Maria fare with your demands :lol:

For 2013:

1. Win a Slam(ANY).
2. Have a winning H2H vs Vika, and learn to hit short balls/swing volleys NOT in the same direction as her. :rolleyes:
3. QFs at all slams.(semis at 3 :angel: )
4. Qualify for YEC.
5. Make Sammy double punchbag, add Kvitova and Na to punchbag list.
6. WIN MIAMI.
7. Take a set off Serena. :sobbing:
8. Learn to be a bit less predictable on serves :tape: Especially on AD-court.
9. Win 4-5 titles.
and most of all,

Stay healthy and fit. :)

#78 ·
My biggest hope is that Maria improves her rally abilities and win more points with at least 7-8 strokes.
I agree with this completely. Maria needs to summon the patience she displays on clay courts and use it on hard courts as well, especially on the slower surfaces like at the AO and YEC. If she just commits to rallies and doesn't try finishing a point after 2-3 shots, she will have better chances against Vika who will eventually be overwhelmed by Maria's consistent heavy shots.

#79 ·
Stay healthy and motivated.
Improve her game even further, serve, return, groundgame etc.
Improve her H2H against certain players.
Win a HC title.
Win a Slam... duh.

#80 ·
I agree with the "motivation" part. Now that Maria has reached the top again with the French and getting to number one briefly, it'll be interesting to see how much hunger and desire Maria has off the court. Will she be willing to put her body through all the necessary strain and effort in practice in order to have the game capable of winning and contending consistently once again in 2013. And will she be open-minded enough to learn new tactics and add a few wrinkles to her game.

It was easy for the 2009-2011 Maria to remain determined because their was a clear goal to reach for. Proving to herself and all the doubters that she could still win a Slam and get to number one. Now that she did that and with all the other off-court responsibilities she continues to juggle, it's natural to wonder if the fire to crush her opponents will be as bright as ever.

And that's the one thing I admire about Serena more than anything. No matter how much she's won, no matter how giant the gulf is between her and the rest, she still wants to destroy and humiliate everyone in her path. And win everything.

Maria has to WANT it. Badly.

#87 ·
We're all wanting Maria to achieve so much, but mostly a slam. Does anyone else feel though that Serena may really end up winning the 4 slams? I think she definitely has a chance. She'll be especially furious at RG after her 1st round loss in 2012.

#88 ·
win at least 2 slams (realistically AO and RG are her best shots, being played on slow surfaces), stop being a mental midget in other big tour finals and finally put Vuvurenka in her rightful place (preferably in a slam final or 2 please:cheer:)

#89 ·
OMG. This! She absolutely needs to beat Vika in a Slam tournament. She was close at the USO and she was playing great tennis in the first set, but lacked the enrgies to win that third set :sobbing:

#91 ·
...which is the Serena slam, so nobody else stands a chance. It's the most difficult slam to win because of Serena's dominance there. It would be great if Maria would defend RG. It would solidify her status as a great claycourter.

#100 ·
True! But who's there to beat her? I'm definitely not expecting a lower ranked player like Razzano to beat her again in 2013.

#106 ·
Like I said in the other thread, I've got my expectations so dangerously high :crying2: but I honestly would be SERIOUSLY disappointed if she didn't win a Slam this year. Actually, I'm thinking (or, atleast, I've convinced myself) that an AO-RG double is realistic. Then she can pass the baton on to her heir-apparent Petra for the other 2 slams.

#112 ·
it's the tournament that she used to go and see when she was younger and she hasn't even won it yet after being the runner up 4 times
She already won it in 2002 :confused:

Junior :spit:

#116 ·
I want Maria to develop a legitimate FH slice and slide into her FH for the clay. She should handily sweep the clay season again if she could do that.
I've said it before, but use your BH DTL this season please.

I'm always so anxious at the start of a season. :crying2:
Please don't flop Maria and more than anything else just remain healthy.

#120 ·
You know, I'd almost pick Miami over a fifth Slam title after all those Finals she lost :spit:

My expectations aren't that high to be truthful, all I really expect from her is to beat everyone she's supposed to beat, and not suffer any beatdowns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.